PDA

View Full Version : Merc 1000 X

Selvaracer
10-13-2009, 02:43 PM
What is this ???:confused:http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35130&stc=1&d=1255470063 :eek:

largecar91
10-14-2009, 05:07 AM
Maybe an 80 Merc 4 cylinder with cut down T2 exhaust and intake?? That's my guess anyway.

SonoraMike
10-14-2009, 07:41 AM
how come you never see tuned pipes being run off the big 4 or 6 cyl Merc's? I've been looking for photos of the big tower Mercs in racing trim, I've only seen the motors with the horns attached as shown in largecar91's avatar - never seen them with tuned pipes. I have a 68 1000 SS that I'd like to add some performance parts to but I can't find much in the way of info on what parts might available.

any other photos of that motor? Would be interested to see where they moved the switch box and rectifier to. Whats the brown wire heading into the carbs do?

largecar91
10-14-2009, 08:41 AM
The brown wire would be a coil wire. The coil on the T2's were mounted on an aluminum plate along with a primer and switch boxes. There really are not any performance parts for an older inline Mercury. The pipes might make a slight HP increase but the noise increase make them too loud to run anywhere!

SonoraMike
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
The brown wire would be a coil wire. The coil on the T2's were mounted on an aluminum plate along with a primer and switch boxes.

not familiar with what a T2 is, any info you can point me to so that I can come up to speed on the T2?

There really are not any performance parts for an older inline Mercury.

They were not raced much so no performance parts were developed?

The pipes might make a slight HP increase but the noise increase make them too loud to run anywhere!

would have thought that someone would have at least built tuned pipes at some point.

thanks for the reply

Powerabout
10-14-2009, 09:08 AM
how come you never see tuned pipes being run off the big 4 or 6 cyl Merc's? I've been looking for photos of the big tower Mercs in racing trim, I've only seen the motors with the horns attached as shown in largecar91's avatar - never seen them with tuned pipes. I have a 68 1000 SS that I'd like to add some performance parts to but I can't find much in the way of info on what parts might available.

any other photos of that motor? Would be interested to see where they moved the switch box and rectifier to. Whats the brown wire heading into the carbs do?
By tuned pipes, do you mean expansion chambers?

SonoraMike
10-14-2009, 09:13 AM
By tuned pipes, do you mean expansion chambers?

yes

Powerabout
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
they end up wayyyyyy tooooooo long to be practical and peaky power so you needa 6 speed gearbox to go with them unless your boat is so small you can pick it up by yourself

Bill Gohr
10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I watched those pipes runsounded cool, no power

Droll-l6
10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
not familiar with what a T2 is, any info you can point me to so that I can come up to speed on the T2?

http://www.drolsum.net/mercury/inline6/images/twister.jpg
Had somewhere between 170 > 200 hp, depending on the type of race...

Some other pictures below in my signature, TII under restoration....

Arne Kjetil

Selvaracer
10-14-2009, 12:12 PM

Sorry,no other photos.I may ask the owner,the engine is(was) for sale in Italy.The brown(yellow) wire goes to distributor as in T2 or T2X.The switch box and rectifier are in original places as seen in the left picture.Thats my engine,when it was "young" and virgin.:D:D

Mark75H
10-14-2009, 02:20 PM
Expansion chambers do not produce much power increase unless the exhaust open time is 180+ degrees ... most pleasure based outboards have exhaust open timing around 160 degrees.

Increasing the exhaust open timing to 180 degrees decreases lower rpm power to the point that the motors can not get the boat over plane.

Motorcycles avoid the low rpm issue with 5, 6 and 7 speed transmissions ... snowmobiles use infinitely variable V belt clutches, jetskis just rev without pushing the vehicle

Mark75H
10-14-2009, 02:23 PM
I have a 68 1000 SS that I'd like to add some performance parts to but I can't find much in the way of info on what parts might available.

There is nothing practical that can be done to add performance, if you don't have enough power, you need to find a bigger motor.

Powerabout
10-14-2009, 02:36 PM
Is that the engine to use to race in a 1250cc class?

Mark75H
10-14-2009, 03:47 PM
Not in the US

Popa Sam
10-14-2009, 04:05 PM
If you go to the "Outboard History" section and the "NOA thread" there is a video of a motor running on a tunnel boat that is very similar to this one. A description of how it was built is also in the thread.

Clickhttp://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9490, then scroll down to post #8