PDA

View Full Version : Mystery 1930s 14ft F Class Mahogany Boat

alsancle
10-16-2009, 07:09 AM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and hopefully I put this in the right spot. Back in 2005 my dad and I pulled this from a barn in central Massachusetts. The only information that we were provided was that it had been there since at least the 1950s and that there was thought to be some connection to one of the Dodge brothers. The boat came with no engine although I've recently purchased the 4-60 you see in the photos. There are no markings or identification anywhere on the boat. The construction is all mahogany and of an extremely high quality. It is about 14 feet in length. Most of the boat has a natural finish but there looks like there might have been some white paint around the cockpit.

I'm assuming it's a 30s or 40s F class racer but I do not know that for sure. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I might be able to figure out what this is?

thanks,

A.J. SanClemente

largecar91
10-16-2009, 07:56 AM
I have seen a boat somewhere in one of my books like this. I will look this weekend. Looks kinda like a Grevette although I do not think they made anything that small.

alsancle
10-16-2009, 08:09 AM
If you have the outboards volume of "Real Runabouts" there is a picture or two of the 1940 Century Comet which looks a bit similar.

A.J.

largecar91
10-16-2009, 08:17 AM
My first thought was a Century but I couldn't remember the model name. I knew it wasn't a Cyclone or a Kid.

Mark75H
10-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I suspect that the fact it has a seat and center of steering wheel throttle control it may be disqualified as a "racer" ... more likely a "gentleman's" speedboat

alsancle
10-16-2009, 09:34 AM
I just found my copy of real runabouts IV and on page 165 is a picture of this Century Whirlwind which is similar. I don't know where I got the name "Comet" from.

I wouldn't doubt the gentleman's runabout theory as the boat is extremely heavy duty and I'm having a hard time believing that even the souped up 4-60 I have would be able to push it very fast.

If you can tell from the cockpit picture, the wheel is mounted in the center. You could squeeze two adults in side by side if you wanted to.

Mini Max
10-16-2009, 10:10 AM
My two cents would be a George Crouch Design. He had Dodge connections.
That boat is nothing that came down an assembly line. Need a left nut? I'll trade you mine for that boat.

George Crouch Gold Cup inboard below.

http://www.forumpictureprocessor.com/pictureprocessor/images/Ew22_Babyface_Page_1_Image_0001.jpg

largecar91
10-16-2009, 10:33 AM
The "Comet" was Century's sailboat. It's not a Whirlwind either. Here is a picture of one but it sure is a neat boat that you have!

JohnsonM50
10-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and hopefully I put this in the right spot. Back in 2005 my dad and I pulled this from a barn in central Massachusetts. The only information that we were provided was that it had been there since at least the 1950s and that there was thought to be some connection to one of the Dodge brothers. The boat came with no engine although I've recently purchased the 4-60 you see in the photos. There are no markings or identification anywhere on the boat. The construction is all mahogany and of an extremely high quality. It is about 14 feet in length. Most of the boat has a natural finish but there looks like there might have been some white paint around the cockpit.

I'm assuming it's a 30s or 40s F class racer but I do not know that for sure. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on how I might be able to figure out what this is?

thanks,

A.J. SanClemente

Whatever it is its cool:cool::cool::cool:, with the sort of upside down look. One thing for sure barrel building technology was peak then. As a kid we had a Jaffco speed skiff, [speed being relative to 1956] It had a wheel center throttle too. I remember it being awkward to use.