PDA

View Full Version : Hydra-sports tunnels

brichter
12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Does anyone have a picture of a Hydra-sports tunnel of the type that were popular in OPC SE class in the mid 70s???? They were a fiberglass square nose hull and had a swooped rear cowl. I need to show someone that these really did exist and I went through my pictures and couldn't find a good picture of one. If you could post a good picture or let me know if and where there is one on-line I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Danny Pigott
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
I have a couple, will try to get them up later. I use to drive a couple of them they were a handfull, you didn't want to be inside one in a turn they would hook bad.

brichter
12-10-2009, 06:40 PM
Danny, Great Thanks! looking forward to the pictures.

Danny Pigott
12-12-2009, 05:44 PM
This was one of the first ones built, it had the high cowl. Earl Bentz had the first one at Miami for the 75 OPC Nat's. he ran a Merc MOD 50 on it This was a 75/75 with a 70 vented cowl because it was a wild cat race we won with it that day.

Danny Pigott
12-12-2009, 05:49 PM
This pic is not great but this ia a later one with low cowl.

brichter
12-13-2009, 04:49 PM
Thank you for posting the pictures. I don't remember ever seeing any with the high cowls but there were a good number of those racing in the midwest for a few years. Wonder where they are now??

Popa Sam
12-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Danny, Where were these pictures made? Was the top one Hardeeville?

Danny Pigott
01-14-2010, 05:52 PM
Sam, this race was around Columbia SC, not sure where they, had so many back then. Hardeeville now there was a race one bouy turns an about 50 yards wide. Run any thing you want to an any fuel you like, it was a good show an the town loved it.

Danny Pigott
02-24-2010, 06:52 PM
More Hydra-Sport Tunnel. The Guy in the red shirt is the late Garratt Greer from Wilmington N.C. The young boy was a local, I don't know his name, but he helped me all day an said very little. When they gave out the awards ,I gave him my Trophy, he was a happy little guy. Some where i have a pic of him holding it.