Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve Litzell,
    I've enjoyed reading about the history of the different Konig motors and inside stories that you have about you and Ralph's times with Dieter. My Dad never ran Alky that I know of, but he did have a Quincy 30H and 44 that he raced in NOA Mod. I do remember a 20H showed up in his workshop in our basement once that was setup on alky. Him and his racing sponsor, Ted Flowers, had picked it up at a pro race in Zanesville, OH. I don't think he ever ran it, though.
    You mentioned in an earlier post about TQ midgets. I remember a TQ racer named Ronnie Ambrose, from Owensboro, KY in the mid to late 80's that ran a Konig in his TQ with the UMRA Association here in the Midwest. He just dominated for several years. Everybody else was running the Honda 750 motorcycle motors. I think one year he won like 25 out of 30 features. Nobody could beat him so they finally outlawed 2-strokes to stop him. Why nobody copied what he did, I just don't understand. Did you work on those motors? Or know what he was using?

Brent Simmons

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Brent, yes I knew also Ron. I heard from his son a couple years ago and talked about his Dads racing days. The Tq used D and E motors depending on track rules about displacement. This car was sold to a couple of racers outWest. They had me go through their motor back in 91 or so and then flew me out there for testing and racing. Owner was in Arizona,and we then flew to California for testing and racing. We went to three different tracks one being the last race for Astoria I believe. Good time and much was learned.Ron started out in Karts and I have some old mags with pictures of Ron in his Konig Powerd cart. I just did a couple Fa Konig that are for cartsfor a couple of vintage racers from out west. Wayne, I do remember the beer you speak of but my preference was Sulthiess, it was a dark beer and was only in Berlin. Three of them would set you on your *** for sure, six or more made you not work well next day. I promise to get you pictures of my sideboard. Steve

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's why I preferred Berliner Kindl over Schultheiss. It is a nice smooth pilsner.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I think your getting weak on me Wayne😁Wish we could have a schlite together now, steve🍻

Post Thanks / Like

Bull Moose I haven't had any of the beers you guys are speaking of but I could go for a couple of your mud slides you used to make. Happy New Year my friend!!,

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Steve
    I heard that Ron had sold it to someone out west, but I never did hear anything more about the outfit or how it did. Ron had a couple son's that also ended up racing. I remember Ron was so pissed about his konig being outlawed, that he refused to run a Honda motor like everyone else. Instead, he built a Suzuki (that no one had ever run before) and beat all of the Honda's.
    In the mid 60's I remember my dad helped put a 30h or 44 in a TQ for a local racer named Thompson. It was very fast and very loud. I don't really remember how well it did, but I know one time they were able to get Indy racer Sonny Yates for a race down in Kentucky. They cleaned house but I think that was the only time they were able to put Sonny Yates in the car. Brent

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I still make mudslides Todd! And Brent, the guys I helped out west back in early eighties did well also until USAC out laced all two strokes in TQ. The four cycle boys wined to much I guess,Steve
    Likes 1100r, Al Lang liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's an old Konig B I've had forever. Dieter brought it over in 56 I think, to a friend of my Dad's and the guy never raced. I don't think the motor has ever been ran here. You can see it has the original spark plugs and shipping crate.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Likes Al Lang, Ketzer, Dan M, crewman060 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

You've got some cool stuff, Dunlap (some of the rest of you might want to see Bob's photos of his A Anzani restoration on another thread here). Was the welded steel tube towerhousing original to that engine? I know the earlier examples of the same motor were shipped with the cast aluminum "stock" towerhousing. I think your engine might be a later one because of the barrel valve Konig carburetors, whereas some others, which I believe were earlier, used the same 25mm slide-type Bings that also were used on the A motors for several years. I don't ask things like this to be picky about your restoration, Bob. There always has been so much mixing and matching of components on all alky engines that I'd personally tend to accept nearly any combination of parts on a restoration as legitimate and even "period-correct".
    How did the best examples of the Konig crossflow B engines do against the best alky B Mercs and Champs of the same late-'50s era? The Konigs should have had a little better intake arrangement with the double rotary valves, but the way they then sent the air/fuel charge through windows in the piston looked rather restrictive. What was the bottom line? Schubert? Litzell?

In the mid-Sixties, J. Dub's grandpa, Bill Myers, a great guy then in his Fifties, was running a crossflow B Konig on a Charleton hydro in Reg. 10. Boat was mahogany and pea-green, the Myers clan's "team color."

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Konig were fast and depending on driver won, the big change was going from two carb B's to the single carb model, when the Quincy looper cane about it ruled until 67 when the first four cylinder B Konig came out with the rotary valve. Then the race was on until the early70's. and the square Block B pretty much sealed the deal. Steve

Thread Information