We all got a good nights sleep. Carl Rylee ran as good of a race as was possible, so we knew there were no surprises. We didn't have anything to fix and Clayton and I had only one class each to race today....and it wasn't the same class. So we had some leisure time to eat breakfast, visit with some of the other racers coming, going, and in the middle of eating breakfast like we were.

There were lots of people that knew Baldy by now, and he had a grin that people who know him can envision right now. He was really feeling great about the upcoming races.

I was out of my league in C runabout and C Hydro, but Clayton was looking good in C and D Hydro. And Clayton also qualified in the tough D Runabout finals. Jack and Clayton were part of our team, and we were all happy with whatever events we made it into, and were totally dedicated to finishing as high as we could. We were both in the C Hydro finals, and as much as Baldy would love for me to win, he knew Clayton could amongst this crowd. If I did, it would be because of a bunch of gun jumpers, or some other fluke. The only thing that mattered to Baldy was in his mind, I had already won in some respects. All he had to do was look at the finals roster, and see the crowd we were in with to be happy with the results.

October in South Texas can be some of the best weather for racing, and it was turning out this way on Fort Buhlow Lake. We loaded up into the Chrysler, drove up McArthur Drive a little way then made a right into the traffic circle, blending with the traffic to move right and exit onto 165 North to Pineville. This one was easy. Crossing the Huey P Long bridge over the Red River you could see parts of Fort Buhlow Lake easy. With butterflies in my stomach we approached the south turn into the lake. There was a lot of traffic making a left in the last couple of days, so there was usually a short wait on traffic, both oncoming, and waiting to make a left.