Thread: Wayne Baldwin's Amazing Story: Baldy's Eual Eldred Baldwin

Threaded View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah.... I know.

Back up a little bit. We spent the first night in Sanderson Texas at Sanderson Motel. It was kind of an adobe style motel with colored cement floors and the electrical wiring was fastened to the wall up near the ceiling. I don't know how old the motel was at that time but thirty seven years later Debbie, the kids and I stayed at the same motel on our way to spend a week with some former neighbors that moved to San Francisco. The motel was clean both times and we were only there for a few hours to sleep, then back on the road. The motel was just on the north side of IH10 and the Union Pacific line was just on the south side of IH 10. Several trains passed through thie whistle stop town during the night.

Back on the road we saw lots of desert. Sanderson was about halfway between San Marcos and El Paso, and we spent the first part of the day getting out of Texas. Not mcu traffic or homes, or building for miles and miles. We stopped at a as station way out by itself on the side of a road. I asked a kid who was working there what they did for fun. He said they would hang old tires on the arms of tall seguaro cactuses. This is a photo of Gerel and Baldy waiting in from of the station wagon in the heat of the day waiting for the motor to cool down enough to add water.

ADD: That is on the side of IH 10 in 1969 with the Union Pacific railroad on the other side. Pretty desolate back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Likes Ketzer liked this post

Thread Information