Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: Butts Aerowing-The Only Way To Fly

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default When some one does you a good turn, I thank them

"If I had an avatar, John, it would have to show me making a bad start."

So you had a learning curve too, no different than the rest of us, each in our time and our economies of scale, thanking each other for the assistance we got and gave, most of us never saying that somebody ought not be here but, instead, selling fried chicken. The world goes around and comes around. When someone offers me a kind favor, I always thank them. Nice Eh!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hal Kelly

In the early 60's I had a DR 800. I had just picked up a Speedmaster and was was wondering what to run the Speedmaster on. Had a '60 15' Crosby which I was running the 800 on and knew that wouldn't work. I had seen and spoken with Hal over the years at Region 3 races and thought he might have some ideas. So I called him, explained the situation and ordered some plans. He sent me unaltered plans for Madcap, a 13' CD runabout. Fine,I thought. So one Saturday a week or so later, I dragged my butt into Reading Boatworks (PA) and ordered the stuff to build it. On the way home I stopped by George DeWald's to chat and have a brew on three. Craig was home form FL (Lake X) at the time and when he heard what i was doing, he went thru the roof. He called Hal and beat him up pretty good about why he would send plans for Madcap designed for a 4 cyulinder motor with a CD Quicksilver to be built for a 200# 6 cylinder with a 15" motor (actually about 20.5" or more properly set up). Hal said he would revise the plans. I called Reading Boatworks and cancelled the order. Hal sent the revisons. I never built the boat. I have the revisions somewhere, but I know I could never locate them after all these years. Just a passing story.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default That's not a bad question...

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Thunder
    What exactly is the diference between a "rocker" and a
    S". Can someone draw me a picture of how the bottoms would be different?

....I may have used the wrong terminology. John's explanations were good. I don't recall ever seeing any Jupiter's or Hal Kelly boats at races. The Dubinski's disappeared about the time sliding expansion chambers jumped up the horsepower and speeds. In those days I just paid attention to racing and working on my stuff. Wished I would have checked out other aspects a little closer. Below are some illustrations about what I was talking about. I thought a Dubinski had a rocker like the top drawing, but it may have been a true S like the middle. I just remember the rear portion angle up like a rocker to cause the boat to run with sponsons in the air. I think the cockpit was fairly forward also. What I call the "S" bottom on Tim's boat, like the third drawing, went through the S shape, but finished back flat and straight. Kind of reminds me a little of cupping a prop, though not actually curling over. And Ted, that was a great story. I like hearing personal tales about what went on behind the scenes with people I had only read about that made a mark in boat racing history.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle
    Jerry Kirts flyin' HIGHER!!
    Speaking of Kirts, does anyone remember the name of the laydowns Dan Kirts ran for a few years? I believe the boats were built in Indiana. I remember seeing him race this brand of boat at one of our club races back in the mid to late eighties, when we still had some pro guys in the club. I remember the boat floated really high and the outside sponson would tap off the water really hard as he went around the turns and I kept thinking he was going to catch the sponson and go for a swim, but he never did.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Joe,

I think the boats that Danny had were built by Lowell Schumacher. I think he's still involved and helps out Gary Pugh building boats.

Dan

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dan. Schumacker sounds right.
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Schumaker/kirts

Joe; -both these pix appear else where on this site, but easier to post again rather than search for them. Both are of the same boat, I think, but certainly both are Schumakers, and both owned by Kirts.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Gentlemen,
    I just found this thread and read it in entirety with a huge smile!
    The first time I saw a Butts Aero-wing was Carelton Place Ontario, late 70's(maybe Jeff or Bryan can remember who's it was) I believe it ran in FGP.
    I stood in awe of this fabulous boat. You can see many of Mr. Butt's innovations in todays hydros. His designs were far ahead of thier time.
    Thanks for a GREAT thread! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

RussW

Post Thanks / Like

Default RawsonCraft

Russ; The AeroWings one saw at Carleton Place etc were likely ones built by Dave Rawson, who ran Crescents. We think as many as six were built, two still running, Dave Scott, and Dave Dalton having them. We ran Daltons as
    a test bed for a OMC triple in FEH during 2002 and did quite well, the handling being typically impeccable! These pix should bring back memorys!
    PS; -did u hear we are going back to Carleton Place ON this year. Almonte is too shallow

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Guys!! Greetings from Florida!

Just having a quick peek in the Forums before driving home tomorrow.

Perhaps the Butts hydro's you saw at Calelton Place were either owned by Roy Alexander ( #169 "Devestation"--Dark orange hull w/white trim) or Greg Hall ( #153 "Hawkwind"--Dark orange, white, green, and natural wood)

Brian is right though, I know that Dave's boats were run there by many who owned them. Roy's last 700cc boat was a Rawsoncraft, as were boats owned/driven by Vince Gresko in F44H, Henk Engles in F250H, and Gord McCrady Jr. in FGP.

I'm really looking forward to seeing Dave Scott's new project.

Thread Information