Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercury Mark 30 Timing

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mercury Mark 30 Timing

have a Mark 30 and the timing belt broke. Now im trying to get the motor back into time there are 2 timing marks on the flywheel one is at TDC the other is 0.235" before TDC, which one do i line up with the magneto timing mark? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

0235 would be the stock timing but more is better i ran my 30 h at 375 thousand be for top dead center
    David Bryan

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The arrow on the distributor (below the top plate that comes off) should point at the mark to the right (as you stand in front).

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default timing of 4 cyl. Merc.

Take #1 cyl. to TDC,move arrow on pully to center of crank, put belt on. It's done. Motor will be in time. Has nothing to do with the timing before TDC as to when you want your cyl. to fire. Phil

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help. If i wanted to advance the timing to something around 0.375" before TDC is there a special dial indicator i would need?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Timing requires a timing tool, or you can degree the flywheel and use a timing light. That's about 38 degrees of advance, by the way, which is a LOT with today's crappy gas. I'd stick with the stock timing if I were you.

Jeff

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok i'll just set it back to stock timing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Timing And In Time

Mike, The last post was to put your motor IN TIME so as when mag fires it goes where it is suppose to, #1, #2, etc.

Now that we have the motor in time let's move the mag. to get the correct timing BTC. With a dial indicator in #1 cyl. find TDC and rotate crank counterclockwise to position in thousands to where you want motor to fire .325,.350, etc.. With a buzz box,flash light timing light, OHM meter(condenser has to be disconnected) you can advance your mag. until buzz box/timing lite lets you know the desired timing has been achieved. Lock down or set stop for full max. Now your motor is in time and timing is set for desired BTDC.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default other considerations

Forgot to post; there are other factors which WILL influence your desired timing.
    Points that slip and/or a loose belt will cause a variance (will be negative). Front half/crank case cover bolt holes not slotted. Plastic(gray or black) points are no good. The old phenolic are the best. Hope these pointers help. Phil

Post Thanks / Like

Default Also...

I never broke a belt that the mag arm had not dropped dow first....I'm sure all the Mark 30's had the brass hangers, not steel.

What do you think??

Talking gas! IS there any good gas? What do outboard racer's use??

Thread Information