Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: OB props on an I/O???

Post Thanks / Like

Default OB props on an I/O???

Hey everyone...

I just bought a 22 foot Glastron nose rider with the 5.7 Merc I/O and it came with a truly lame 19" aluminum prop. The previous owner claims 55 mph with this and the factory's test articles back this claim.

I'm wondering if I put on the 26" ET I have.... what will the speeds be without caring for the holeshot? Will this even work? The stock prop is a thru-hub whereas we know what the ET is.

Thanks!!
    Tango

1994 STV ModVP/2.4 BP EFI & 1990 Donzi Z33 Crossbow

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back when

I picked up my Donzi 2 + 3, 460 Cobra it was running a 14.25 X 23 Mirage propeller. I tried a stock 14.5 X 24 big blade choper. No hole shot. Not too bad in the middle. about a mile or so faster on top. All around performance was less than satisfactory.

My guess is that your 26 ET has way too much pitch, and maybe not enough blade surface.
    Last edited by Ted March; 07-03-2005 at 07:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay... the results are in!!

Using a Drag Racing ET prop is not the best all around prop for a 22 foot cruiser, but it did pick it up 10 mph!! We also cruised 87 miles on 25 gallons of gas. So, I have to say it was an improvement in economy since holeshot was not a need.

What was such a shame... I am SO used to stepping on the throttle and flying out of the water with my STV that getting used to the "Getting on plane" process is a Beyotch with this nice "Family Boat." The factory Merc prop was SO BAD that it would not hold the boat on trim, would blow out with just a light application of throttle and was terribly slow. I felt obligated to put on my GOOD prop just so I could enjoy the day.

The cool rooster tail from the ET was also a hit!
    Tango

Post Thanks / Like

Default Maybe a 22...

I find your results hard to believe, not that you a telling "WHOPPERS"...but SLOW out of the hole has to be the word of the day...

I'd guess you like our 20 four blade for all round use...Maybe a 22 ET would be an option...

Or let the wife drive the IO and you stick to the STV.....Now, did I just say that???

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt it was VERY slow out of the hole... The reason for the large gain in top speed was that the aluminum prop would not hold the boat with much to any trim at all. It would simply blow out. I have no idea why the prop worked so bad, it just did.

I am wide open for a good all around prop but certainly do not want to lose a lot of speed or efficiency. I have little use for towing a skier and much more interest in fun riding at 40-60 mph.
    Tango

Post Thanks / Like

Default Why don't

you take Ron's advice? You are certainly heading in the wrong direction.

Thread Information