Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15'2 Coastal

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coastal

Yes, I'm sure my boat is much heavier than my bro's just posting in relation to the 40 hp, 60-62 mph post. R/Chip

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speed

43 is still pretty fast in my opinion sitting so close to the water, maybe seems faster :-), just when I hit those long straight aways, I'd like her to lift. Might just have to settle for now as I fish more than just ride. It's a good compromise. R/Chip

Post Thanks / Like

You are very correct. 43 MPH will feel very fast on water. I have a 150hp pushing a 14 foot boat 70 mph. My friends that dont boat think that its no big deal since they can drive their Civic 80mph on the freeway while eating a cheeseburger and talking on the phone.

On the water low to the water line things "feel" very very fast. Thats why its fun

Ive taken my friends out and gotten them just above 60 in my little boat and they start yelling slow down And most of them thought we were going 90 mph

In my opinion your doing well with your set up. Of course every set up including mine can be tweeked just a bit more to get more performance.

Conrad

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
    43 is still pretty fast in my opinion sitting so close to the water, maybe seems faster :-), just when I hit those long straight aways, I'd like her to lift. Might just have to settle for now as I fish more than just ride. It's a good compromise. R/Chip

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Coastal

43mph is stock speed for a 40hp motor if your setup is right remember my motor is not stock and the boat is the light boat ever build it is setup and prop

Post Thanks / Like

43mph is stock speed for a 40hp motor if your setup is right remember my motor is not stock and the boat is the light boat ever build it is setup and prop
    Post a pic of your boat. I find your 60 mph boat interesting.
    Conrad

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by milkdud View Post
    Just as I thought.

http://www.defender.com/inflatables/...2/merc_75.html

The 40, 50, and 60 hp 3 cyl 2 strokes are ALL 966 cc motors.

So I say your doing well for what you have.

To put it into perspective the 75hp OPTI has 1526 cc. Rated only 15 more HP than your motor but has more that 50% MORE CUBES. And more weight

Now that 75 opti is gonna produce good hp with that much displacement. Kinda a sleeper. Yours is probably using all the tricks in the book to be putting out 60 hp.

Conrad
    that lil block can make way more then 60 hp
    shutup and drive it !!

Post Thanks / Like

that lil block can make way more then 60 hp

Sure Im sure most every motor can be modded to make more hp, but that is not really the point here.

The man is trying to set his boat up with "what he has" I believe. Adding another layer of irrelevance is irrelevant.

Ill check this in the morning and see if it makes sense

Conrad

Post Thanks / Like

The 75 opti was just for reference to how much the cubic displacement changes in that motor series to make its HP. ONLY GIVEN AS A SIZE REFERENCE.

That reference mainly pointed to how the 40-50 and 60 hp motors are all the same 966 cc motor. And going from a 40 hp version of this to a 60 hp version of the same block is not going to be as much of a gain as one may think.

I never said to mount a 75 opti on this boat. It was a reference point made. And I may have over stated my"every trick in the book" statement. I ment it more as a general "its the top of the line for that block series"

This is not a performance boat. Its a general working boat, so how much gain are we going to see on this rig by "tricking out the motor"??? Id say much less than its worth.

The biggest bang for the buck will be proper prop selection engine height and weight management.

Unless he mounts this 60 hp on a 200 lb hydro, working on port maps, assembly balance, NOS, lightened flywheels, tuned pipes, shaved heads and other race adventures are really not applicable unless he has nothing else to do and wants to spend lots of time and some money for little gain.

Bottom line is your right, the motor can be made to produce more than 60 hp. Thats true for most any stock motor. But how many people want to do that to their 60 hp tiller on a fishing boat?

Post Thanks / Like

In the end its up to Coastal if he wants to go to the expense of upgrade, If the boats run weight is heavy that remains a strain on 'potential' It as is could probably be a little better w/o major cost or downtime, 43 ain't bad at all considering. Generally more hp = a little more speed & alot more acceleration. To get the speed it needs the work & several props to be tested. Good Luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seapro View Post
    Well I'm not going to try and convince you anything but I've made a good living for 6 years biulding this exact block at hand! You can take a pic of any bolt on that motor and I can tell you were it goes. This motor can push a load and gaid 1000 rpms on top end no problumb at all. Were we come from if you find an unmolested tiller 40 it's out of the norm. I have no idea how this even got started if we were talking about anything but this motor I mind my own biz and let you speculat and relate till your fingers fall off everyone has there thing and this is mine I know what they can do and how to make them do it. We have been invited to a race in bogalosa la coming up if you want to see some inovation come put your rigg in the water and race some of these 3 cyl 59 ci motors
    I will agree with you seapro. I just had the same stuff going on. I know what I can do with certain Yamaha engines and got questioned ridiculed and fussed at about it. I did get out of hand a little because the guy said that what I said was BS. But I have decided (again) to never argue here again, I'll say my piece they can take it or leave it...... Yes yall motors are awesome. 8800 with stock parts is talking the talk. I can do it with a 40 too but yet to get the 90 into that range. I have a johnnyrude on the bench right now, lighter than a 90 Yammi hint hint hint......
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Thread Information