Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 15'2 Coastal

Post Thanks / Like

SEAPRO,

I dont think I have ever doubted that you can turn this motor into more than it is in factory form. You win, wow ,but how do you win when I agree....? you dont listen to what I write.

My point is do you think its worth it with his set up?? Let me know your thoughts on that?? Is it worth tearing down the motor to do this??

Or would he be better served with motor height or a prop change that takes ONE nut to take off and put back on.
    I run a 1500xs on a semi tunnel. I can get OVER 10 mph speed change depending on what prop I put on the boat. Weight and height offer more gain as well depending where your at.

You can alter ports smooth runners put in reeds but if your 3 blade aluminum fishing prop is buried with the cave plate dragg'n then you'd be better served doing the easy stuff first.

I dont think this thread was looking for full tear down mods to get more speed. If the man comes on here and says he is looking to pull his motor down and start altering things then Ill be damned

Have a nice night.

Post Thanks / Like

Uh sorry milk dud, I missed that too LOL. No for you, I would work on set up. Props and motor hights. That old motor has been modded many times over the years but they had good gas and no other options. That is a big task to mod an inline, and the racing parts are rare.
    Helping folks out around the globe.

Post Thanks / Like

88workcar,

Again I am still only talking about his set up not mine. My set up was just another reference to what prop changes can do for top end speed. And how props can be one of the biggest parts of the puzzle.

But you are very correct the inline 1500xs does not have much left to mod at all. Only thing I did was balance the rotating assembly when I rebuilt it.

Thanks
    Conrad

Post Thanks / Like

Thats pretty fantastic your getting 100 hp out of that motor. Sounds fun. How's the idle on a beast like that? I was expecting close to 80 hp but 100 is pretty amazing.

Ive always wondered how people come up with HP numbers after they have modded a motor? Is it mostly approximations or do a lot of people have access to dynos?

Your probably not going to get a lot of people wanting to spend $2000 dollars to do this. More than likely they have a budget for a good used stainless prop in the $200 mark. Just reality for 8 out of 10 of us.

Post me a photo of your 62 mph rig sometime. Sounds like fun
    Conrad

Post Thanks / Like

Getting back to coastals question. I had a stock 40 on a aluminum boat (skiff) I did all the set up that I could and still use the boat as a ride around. My best ever speed was 39mph. For around here it was fast for a 40. I then got the 90. First day out I ran 42, I can't tell you how dissapointed I was. In the end, I ran 58 with that 90. Same 90 I switched to the Allison and was awarded with 62mph. Again went to setup and got 70.5mph.

I know that coastal is a good boat, Set up is normally worth more than anything. And For motors, you do have one that accepts mods very well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
    Just finished rebuilding my 1994 15'2" Coastal. I put a new floor in it, fixxed every nick and inperfection on the bottom, painted insided and out w/parker duck boat paint. Upgraded from a Mercury 40, to a Mercury 60, fresh rebuild, 30 over, w/16p Vengence Prop. With the Merc 40 that was on the boat I could get right at 39 mph. I was expecting much better numbers with the 2 stroke 60. I gps'd the boat the other day and got 42-43 mph. Help, any ideas to get a few more mph.. I weigh about 280, the boat will not lift as it is, I do have the battery in the front thinking about mounting it in the back.

- Cleaver/Chopper?
    - Jackplate, 4 or 6 inch setback
    How high's the transom, long or short shaft motor? 40 to 60 hp increase gives
    expected speed gain of 20% if you ignore the weight difference of the motors so it sounds like the 60's not up to par. Or: you have a hook so bad that you're on;y driving the bow into the water with more power. Get a straightedge and sight down the pad and running surfaces adjacent to the pad, should see no daylight. Tap on the bottom with metal like pocketknife end and listen for hollow sound (glass separated from wood). .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal View Post
    Just finished rebuilding my 1994 15'2" Coastal. I put a new floor in it, fixxed every nick and inperfection on the bottom, painted insided and out w/parker duck boat paint. Upgraded from a Mercury 40, to a Mercury 60, fresh rebuild, 30 over, w/16p Vengence Prop. With the Merc 40 that was on the boat I could get right at 39 mph. I was expecting much better numbers with the 2 stroke 60. I gps'd the boat the other day and got 42-43 mph. Help, any ideas to get a few more mph.. I weigh about 280, the boat will not lift as it is, I do have the battery in the front thinking about mounting it in the back.

- Cleaver/Chopper?
    - Jackplate, 4 or 6 inch setback
    Here's a 1980 boat with a firm bottom set up and propped right. Boat's about 350lb, I'm 185lb. 1983 Johnson 35. With stock Stiletto 10x14 (actually 13" pitch if you measure it) or with an al OMC 10x13, 37 mph. With the prop just right, and it's tricky, 2 way avg. of 41.7 mph on GPS. The motor has too little power to get the boat completely on the pad, but with a tiller handle it still feels like it's up.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

That is a very nice boat smokin Joe I love it
    shutup and drive it !!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seapro View Post
    Was made from the bottom of an experimental 14' race boat that wouldn't turn. Good fishing boat, can walk from side to side without kipping due to the flat chines. And turns as flat as a pancake too!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seapro View Post
    MY EXACT THOUGHTS. I would love to have it with a 40 on it, good GOD can you emagine the expressions when you come around someone, Damm let me have it Joe, please please please....

Thread Information