Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bottom mods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bottom mods

I see alot of you Sabine river guys run aluminium boats, I run a aluminium flat bottom with a jet. I've been wondering if you guys know of any mods to do to the bottoms to make your boats a little more efficient. I'd love to here some tips or tricks. shoot me a PM about if you want, thanks guys

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is some stuff called superslick, if your interested in knowin more just email me
    Walkiahi chop shop

Post Thanks / Like

i always wanted to put a jet on a hydro
    shutup and drive it !!

Post Thanks / Like

I bondo'd mine made it true and flat then primer then 600grit long ways

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default There are some interesting theories...........

about the "slickness" of a boat bottom. I think everyone agree's that the bottom should be straight and true, or at least the way it should have been according to the designer, but sometimes it does not end up that way either because of construction methods, or it gets "out of true" because of bad trailer support, or other reasons such as damage repair, etc.

Something else there is disagreement about is just how "slick" a bottom should be. There are studies/experiments that have been done that show water can "drag" on a slick bottom and actually slow a boat somewhat. This has been overcome with various degrees of success by "dimpling" the running surface somewhat like the surface of a golf ball. I think I heard or read someplace that was the reason for the dimples on a surface of a golf ball, that it would fly truer and faster than one without dimples. I am sure there is research about this, probably by referring to "GOOGLE".

I never tried the dimple thing, but I do know my hydro was faster if I did not wax the bottom versus if I did. Almost too small to measure but the difference was there. Perhaps it was the wax as I never took the time to try a run without and then apply it and go right back out.

Sometimes it is REALLY hard to pinpoint small differences in speed as being the result of a specific thing, as conditions can change in other ways between runs, making a scientific comparison difficult.

Allen J. Lang

There were tests showing dolphin skin does flex while they swim and increase speed. I believe someone tried to duplicate it with boat bottom paint quite a few years ago. I remember when we used to rough up the bottoms with the stink blocks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 50hptiller View Post
    I bondo'd mine made it true and flat then primer then 600grit long ways
    I 2nd This
    Foreman's Marine

phillnjack

The smoother the bottom ,the more i like it.

phill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lil' Blue Rude View Post
    I see alot of you Sabine river guys run aluminium boats, I run a aluminium flat bottom with a jet. I've been wondering if you guys know of any mods to do to the bottoms to make your boats a little more efficient. I'd love to here some tips or tricks. shoot me a PM about if you want, thanks guys
    That slick stuff the Beast is talking about does have a dimple effect , with the jet u do not have any prop lift so wider and sharp angle up to transom, do any boats up there use tunnels?

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know of anyone running a tunnel hull around here. most guys run a Blazer SS or a Exterminater Gt Flat bottom jon with raised rake. I blue printed the bottom and use slip plate on it. didn't see any noticable changes speed wise but I can tell the boat doesn't come back down as hard when it bounces. Think I'm gonna remove the slip plate this winter and put somethin diffrent on it. Either super slick or some epoxy primer.

Thread Information