Quote Originally Posted by filthy phill View Post
Yeah I see what your saying about the thinner oil of the fully synthetic not realy being a benefit to the older type of 2 strokes.
I dont run the vro as dont like that and I prefer to run normally at 50 to 1 pre-mix, its ok for just running around at about 35 to 30mph, but when off the plane the smell of the old mercury premium
is something I am not too keen on.
I did have a couple of years ( a long while back) running motul smokelss 2 stroke outboard oil and it realy did not give off much smell, but that stuff is like twice the price of premium plus per gallon.
We get realy clobbered over here for 2 stroke oil and add the marine bit an up it goes by another 25%.

what I might do is get some of the oil I have been looking at today and see what its like , this one is a mineral based 2 stroke, its fairly cheap but has some very good reviews .
they will sell from 1 litre bottles to 1,000 litre tanks of it.
the particular oil company who makes it has some pretty decent customers, BMW, VOLVO, CUMMINS, Mercedes, massey ferguson, Renault etc, so it seems a pretty good pedigree behind it.

company is EXOL and the oils I am looking at are their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (M154) Amber colour, and their MARINE TWO STROKE TC-W3 (BLUE) ()

M298 Appearance- Dark blue
Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C- 0.880
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C -(cSt) 8.51
Flash Point (°C)- 120
.................................................. .....................................
M154 Appearance- Amber colour
Specific Gravity @ 15.6°C- 0.880
Kinematic Viscosity @ 100°C -(cSt) 8.51
Flash Point (°C)- 120

both oils seem to have exactly the same spec, I will be contacting Exol to find out what the differences are and ask if they have PTFE in the oils.

Both have the Tc-w3 and all the other NMMA API TD SPECS.
PTFE? that Teflon additive in 2 stroke oil is new to me. I would prefer not to have that additive in there on a steel bore engine. Post what the diff is between 154 and 298. The last time I saw chem tests on the Mercury Premium Plus it was loaded with Molybdenum disulfide and some have complained it is a dirty sooty oil. I use to use it and it required their Quickleen additive they recommend to keep the carbon down. With the Pennzoil Marine XLF no issues burns very clean and I run 16:1 in the vintage race engines but high revs keeps it clean.