Thread: Then and Now

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Then and Now

My Taylor in 1977 and My Sleekcraft 2011.....Nitroman
    Attached Images Attached Images

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Your Sleek looks great aired out!! I looked at that boat @ a car dealership in Keizer when it was for sale last year. What kind of speed do you see with that 2.5 pushing it? Is that the Willamette or a local lake your running on?

I have a old 83 Sleek SST hull that I will be restoring and rigging this winter.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting you are in Salem. I am also in Salem for a while doing consulting for a chemical company, home is Discovery Bay California.

You are right on with the Ford dealer and it took 6 months back and forth to get the price right. As you saw this thing, it has to be the nicest SST on planet, the engine is a 2.4 bridgeport and was a mess. Tons of stuff screwed up from wrong computer to flooding injectors but the short block was good shape....took about a grand a many hours of my time to get right.

Boat is heavy 1000 plus and runs 80 MPH at 6500 RPM....Spent the 6 weeks of Summer just getting it to run and will go after tuning next Summer. Should have another 5 MPH once I get the EGT and fuel dailed in....maybe change the prop....RPM should be at least 1000 higher.

Just for fun, what was the price when you saw it?

That was Dexter.......Nitroman

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, I don't recall what they were asking...probably because I wasn't really interested in buying...only looked it over for a friend who wanted my opinion. And you're right..."Tunnel Vision" is probably the nicest outboard SST out there. Although there's a beautiful BBC powered jet SST in Silverton a guy is finishing that might give you run for the money.

A 2.4, I thought surely it was newer 2.5. Sounds like you had a handful getting it to run and may have had a little help from Mark down in South Salem. I think my welder, Justyn, may have talked to you one day when you were there....Salem's a damn small town.

Dexter has nice water, early in the day. Were you there for one of the drag race events or just playing? Haven't been there in awhile. I just wet my whistle in the river these days.

If you're in Salem for awhile, I'd like to meet up sometime...do a little bench racing over a beer.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You got the small town thing right....A guy could not get away with anything around here!

Just went to Dexter as the water is good and not crowded plus no wood floating like other lakes in the area. Last few times out just went to the ramp by the bridge in Salem with chest of beer, head south to the rock bar shut down and drift back to the bridge drinking beer. Then repeat until beer is gone!

I did talk with your welder and in fact I need my steering helm extended which will require welding and some machine work. I will let you know when ready.

Love to get a beer and bench race.....FYI.....I have a Top Gun Cigarette at my dock in California.......Nitroman

Post Thanks / Like

The pic of the sleek looks like puddingstone.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The Sleek picture is at Dexter Lake Oregon and the Taylor picture was in fact at Puddingstone the day before I sold it. I grew up a couple of miles from Puddingstone and used to ride our bikes over to the boat races when I was a kid. That was back before it was all redone and paking lot for the lanch ramp was dirt.

Thread Information