Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: aqua lark not planing

phillnjack

quote "I also built external reeds for it over the winter"

What are external reeds . .
    its impossible to have external reeds (as far as i know )

unless we have an American v English translation mix up going on.

and agree those engines do look preety good, they look like blown up pics of good little model engines.

phill. . .

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Translations can get you!

Instead of the usual Merc reed valves inside the main bearing pieces, I added external Yamaha pyramid reeds to the outside of the crankcase cover. Made for a shocking increase in power!

I did a 44 cube four and a 30 cube twin Merc earlier, but never got to fully develop them.

Jeff

PS: Here's a shot of the set up with the humongous Chrysler carbs (that bogged like crazy).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

hey the motoe is up as much as i can go without sucking air im taching 6000 rpm boat is screwing but u can here prop loose bite on the water and see it in rpms too what would i go with for diameter cleaver and pitch

Post Thanks / Like

If you are turning 6000 rrrr's now, (with a stock aluminum prop), I think I would go with a SS cleaver of the same pitch and diameter. You have to start somewhere and after trying it, you may find some trades or you may have to buy another prop as you close in on exactly what you need. No one can tell you what to do at this point--it takes a lot of testing. Rod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fs5 View Post
    42mph is about right for a 16p alloy prop on the limiter.thats about 12% slip ,wich seems about right for a alloy prop .
    modman to run a cleaver mate ,you going to have to jack your motor as high as it will go and still suck water.if you can swing the cleaver and hold your boat on the water you will get way over 50mph
    well motor is up and boat comes out of hole good now. boat with motor trimed tack is like 6500 with one person want a ron hill cleaver but not sure what diameter would be best and pitch and 3 or 4 blade ,its pretty hairy with 16 but have to beat other guys lol im just tailing them now boat chine walkes like hell love it . but rpms are up to hi what can i get away with for a prop and still be ok out of the hole love my 40 hp yamaha

Post Thanks / Like

6500 rrr's, no slip, go up 2 inches, same diameter--S/S Ron Hill cleaver. 3blade--stop the chinewalk by simply "tweaking" the wheel towards the side that is lifting, most likely the chine walk starts with the left side lifting first. just stop it by a litle tweak against the lift.

Thread Information