Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Homer Kinkaid and Bud Wiget

Hybrid View

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Judy for your post. I did not know your grandfather, but he has been an icon in boat racing history. I know people that knew him, but when I started racing, he was done. I had always wondered how to pronounce his last name. Thank you very much. God Bless.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a Wiget Ln. in Walnut Creek Ca. right next to Concord. Was he also in local politics.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't gotten all the way through Bernie Van Osdale's book yet, but there are numerous photos of both Bud and Homer as well as some stories about them. I highly recommend this book.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
    There is a Wiget Ln. in Walnut Creek Ca. right next to Concord. Was he also in local politics.
    Not that I know of. He use to live on Wiget Lane. He had many acres of walnut trees.

Post Thanks / Like

Default When You Are A Kid.....

My dad and brother spoke about Bud Wiget and Meizzie Wiget as Gods and Goddesses. Bud's equipment was flawless and clean enough to eat out of the bottoms of any of his boats. In 1952, at Friant Dam my dad was motor inspector. Bud wrote down the wrong motor number on his entry blank. Bud won C Hydro and my brother was second. When Bud "Discovered" his error on the motor number, he DEMANDED my dad disqualify him. My dad argued, but Bud said, Rules were rules."

I had heard that Meizza was married to Ernie Malot who was killed driving a F Runabout, but I knew little of this. In 1953 there was a race at Riverview Park outside Fresno. Bud and Meizzie both raced there, I was nine and watched with wide eyes. I never saw Bud again until Valleyfield, Canada, 1967. I won the 500 CC John War UIM World Championships that weekend, Bud was racing B Hydro with a Konig on a Sid Craft. He and Meizzie were living in Florida then. Wining the 500 World Championship was GREAT for me and my sponsor, Harry Bartolomei, But meeting Bud,as an adult, was really over whelming for me. I met my true FAMILY HERO.

A few years ago, I was in San Jose for a water polo tournament, I looked at the map and realized Concord was just down the road. I went to Concord and stood on Wiget Lane....... It is hard to describe the emotions standing on Wiget Lane. I thought of my dad, Rocky Stone, The Hearst Regatta...and The Wigets of Wiget Lane!
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 11-24-2012 at 09:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Homer Kinkaid Won Every Class at A Boat Race

Yes, there were fewer classes in those days, but Homer won every class at the race that day. At the Winternationals one year I won COH, DOH, FOH, FRR, DSR, DSH.....but was second is CSR, CSH, third in BSR, third is BSH, 4th in 36 SS Runabout, and didn't race A Hydro or A Runabout. 6 firsts was impressive...I once have 5--seconds, one first and two thirds at DePue...I loved racing, and had great sponsors, Homer was still the "MAN".

I ran against Homer at Valleyfield, 1967. He had a four carb Konig on a Schultz. I had a rotary valve Konig on a Schultz. I started on the outside and got the the first turn on the outside of Homer, I said to myself, "That is Homer Kincaid.......probably better shut the door on him". That was the last I saw Homer until DePue a month later. There were no hard feelings, he knew I had the lane and the speed.

Homer was a gentleman winner and a gentleman loser! It ain't easy to be both!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron...you just took the words out of two mouths....mine and Joe Rome's. Before I got to your closing when you said that Homer had no hard feelings, I knew exactly why...and your finish was exactly what I was thinking. Over the years Joe and I have talked about the many boat racers, pit men, owners and others we have known. We didn't know everyone, but the ones we knew that definitely were in that category we talked about. This is only mine and Joe's list from our many conversations and Joe being the one who mentioned who he considered was a gentleman. Homer Kincaid, Sid Bowdler (father of Joe Bowdler) from San Antonio, Texas, Bill Holland, Dr. Simison , there is a guy Joe mentioned only a month ago on this very subject that I heard of but didn't, know and can't remember the name. and Dick O'Dea.

My Dad was very fond of Homer, and they talked a lot. They became fast friends before Homer was Chairman of Pro Racing, and with Baldy Chairman of District 15, they did a lot of official correspondence.

I raced against him a few times before he retired. I was still getting experience, and Homer was equipped with Harry PasturczaK modified Konig motors. He was a very formidable competitor even at the end when he retired. He wore the longsleeve white coveralls that had been popular for a long time.

Thread Information