Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Alternatives to a nose cone LWP...Transom pickup??

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Alternatives to a nose cone LWP...Transom pickup??

My Ron Hill Yamaha Style Cleaver just came in yesterday and seems to run pretty well up high and I want to try raising my motor even higher to see how it responds. My factory water pickups are the plastic insert type on both sides and I want to raise it a little higher than what I think they are capable of. I don't want to try a nosecone yet because I am not anywhere near blowout speeds but I do need something that will hold good water pressure.

Is there anything I can try before tapping a hole, filling in the area below my water pump, and running a transom pickup. I've seen nitrocases that have the top 2 holes plugged and bottom 2 opened up, but I have the plastic grate. Not sure what to do...

Motor is a OMC 50, 6in jack plate, small gear case. 1648 aluminum boat. Sorry if this is a "wordy" post but I'd appreciate any ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    My Ron Hill Yamaha Style Cleaver just came in yesterday and seems to run pretty well up high and I want to try raising my motor even higher to see how it responds. My factory water pickups are the plastic insert type on both sides and I want to raise it a little higher than what I think they are capable of. I don't want to try a nosecone yet because I am not anywhere near blowout speeds but I do need something that will hold good water pressure.

Is there anything I can try before tapping a hole, filling in the area below my water pump, and running a transom pickup. I've seen nitrocases that have the top 2 holes plugged and bottom 2 opened up, but I have the plastic grate. Not sure what to do...

Motor is a OMC 50, 6in jack plate, small gear case. 1648 aluminum boat. Sorry if this is a "wordy" post but I'd appreciate any ideas.
    How far below the bottom of the boat is the centre of the prop shaft now?

As you have noted you can block off the top two holes. You can either use some marine filler (the screen gives a nice support for filling in the hole) or silicon the holes up if you just want to try it. If you want to get rid of the plastic grate in the remaining holes simply take a torch and get a piece of heavy guage wire red hot and melt the plastic out of the hole I've done this on my 56er nitro case after filing the top holes. On the couple of cases I run on the 45cu motor the bottom two holes with the grate still in place provides more then enough water.

Name:  Nitro case.jpg
Views: 1401
Size:  52.6 KB

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I've seen plenty of these that have been filled in but mine has the plastic insert like most yamaha's have. I was wondering what people have done to those.
    It is the same style like this pic...
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...26ABrxs-dK9BeA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by omcstratos View Post
    Yeah, I've seen plenty of these that have been filled in but mine has the plastic insert like most yamaha's have. I was wondering what people have done to those.
    It is the same style like this pic...
    http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...26ABrxs-dK9BeA
    Never had one of them apart, what does it look like if you pull the plastic off? Is it just a big retangle hole like the yamaha?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's just a rectangular hole and the plastic inserts sandwich into, and a square hole above leading to the water pump. I might try to mix up some epoxy and fill in the top half of the plastic screen. Ive seen some of the Johnson 150's with the same plastic insert but it is much lower down so maybe blocking mine with the epoxy might kind of do the same thing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone Know Anything About Urethane??

In Australia, I've been told, that they make a urethane nose cone that slips on a gearcase like Dolly Parton slips on her bra. The water pick ups are at the bottom on the cone but channel the water to the regular pick ups.. It his held on with like two screws.

Anyone know anything about this? Isn't urethane just plastic?

Post Thanks / Like

I was at the races the other day and on a tunnel hull set up, had two water pick up tubes running off the transom to hoses that fed into the motor for cooling?
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

On this type of set up, do you remove the impellor and water is fed direct into motor? or does it just feed the pump housing?
    The race never stops

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe that it feeds to the housing. You can fill in the cavity below the water pump and let the two hoses feed the water pump. I think you leave the impeller there to regulate pressure, and deliver cooling water when the motor isn't running on plane.

Cool pic though.

Thread Information