Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ketzer Racing Team

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Wayne, you're right. We felt vey honored to be allowed to hang with those warriors. And what a fun bunch of people! I was at a reunion (bar tending, as always) at a Holiday Inn outside Ft. Benning that was held in conjunction with a 75th Ranger Regiment reunion, including Vietnam era Rangers. I spent half my time outside, smoking cigarettes and drinking beer with those guys, many of whom had long hair, beards, and wore T-shirts with verbiage such as, "Caution: Doesn't play well with others."

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

That's good to hang out with those guys.....especially the viet nam ones who were treated so miserably and were pawns for the "boy genius David Macnamara" who played them on the board.

But Steve....how about DePue? Will you come? Think hard about it. Would love to see you there. Maybe you could team up with Charlie as a bartender serving those who come up to sample Gator Tail.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Wayne, barring emergencies, I think I can make that happen. I usually travel with my two best friends. Do you know if the hotel is pet friendly? Anyway, I'd be proud to work with Charlie at the bar, but better let him know that I'm not a real bartender. Working a Ranger bar amounts to handing out beer, pouring wine for the ladies, pouring Scotch or Irish whiskey with maybe a splash of water or soda (on the rocks or not); of course Jack and Coke, and, if I have a freezer, straight grappa for the veterans of Italy and Sicily. But there are no requests for martinis, Manhattans, piņa coladas, grass hoppers or the like. Since I only drink beer, tending bar came with a learning curve. During my first attempt, one of the ladies had to tell me, "Uh, Steve, you know most people don't chill red wine."

"They don't?"

"No."

"Oh, okay," I said while pulling red wine from the ice buckets.

Post Thanks / Like

Charley's no different than you Steve. He's not a bartender...he's a boat racer and just happens to come from a place that knows how to fry gator tail. As far as pet friendly hotels, we can find out more about that as we get closer. Look for Dale Hoffert's threads at the DePue Reunion site. It should start heating up before long.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, balls, Wayne. As fate would have it, the wife and I were due another foreign vacation and will be in Quito, Ecuador, during the DePue reunion. Kind of forgot about that when she (we) made our reservations. However, I am planning to be at the Alex boat race at Tunk's come the weekend of May 21st. Sure would be great if you and Bill Van showed up. Also, I plan to be in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, on April 30th, where they will be dedicating a statue of Ranger William Orlando Darby in Cisterna Park. A veteran's biker club raised the funds for that statue, of Darby on a Harley in North Africa, circa 1943. Should be an interesting event and most photographable for someone of your abilities. Make the trek from Texas! (If anyone would like to buy a brick at that memorial and honor the Rangers, visit "The Darby Legacy Project" on line.)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry you can't make it to the reunion Steve. I was really looking forward to sitting down and talking with you. Quito Ecuador sounds very interesting. Wish I could do the Darby event. The book you sent was very interesting. No wonder they call the WWII guys the greatest generation. They saved the world and did it under extreme conditions and untiring devotion to our country.

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, maybe you know that Equador is home to an avid bunch of outboard racers. If you might want to get together with some of them for the local brew of choice, or possibly see a race, you could look for some names and contact info with this link:

http://hydroracer.net/forums/search?...2equador%22%7D

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

As Johnny Carson used to say, "I did not know that," but I'll sure check it out. Thanks, Smitty.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve if you make the NBRA Tunks race be sure and stop by the Kampen Racing pits. Raced against you and your dad at the at the St louis ODA races. My son Keith does the driving now. Art

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Will do, Art. Barring any emergencies, I'll be there. Looking forward to seeing you again!

Thread Information