Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Ketzer Racing Team

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tools,Tests, and Tricks

Tools, Tests and Tricks: Between Don at Coast Aircraft and my Dad, I got talked into testing for the A&P, a license I was reluctant to get being one who obviously avoided responsibility. If you work under someone else’s signature, you’re not responsible; the FAA can’t touch you, and neither can the legal system. But, as I had just turned thirty, I reckoned it was time to man-up a little bit, and so I studied Dad’s old Zweng manuals and made many trips to the San Diego Public Library to check out books on basic electricity, hydraulics, welding and the like. I studied at night in my van—still preferring to camp on Shelter Island beneath the fragrant eucalyptus trees—and worked at Coast during the day.

I traded the Honda 90 to another aircraft mechanic, who was upgrading to all Mac and Snap-On tools, for a complete set of Craftsman tools, along with a top-box; not great tools for aircraft, but better than what I had, which was nothing. Still, I went in hoc to the Mac Man, buying ¼” drive sockets, swivel sockets, ratchets, palm ratchets, and extensions. Those swivel sockets were expensive, but as thin as they were, you still had to grind them thinner to fit on Continental and Lycoming exhaust nuts, which, of course, voided the warranty. You had to do what you had to do. The Craftsman wrenches were great for building special tools, grinding them down, heating them up with a torch and bending them, so that you had weird looking wrenches in your box, each with but one purpose in life.

Some tools were inexpensive, like the words of encouragement stuck on my top box and the wad of grey putty used to affix a tiny nut to a fingertip and thereby be able to reach up behind the instrument panel, position it on the threads of an instrument screw, post light, or what-have-you, and start it with the adjacent fingertip, all in the blind, all by feel. On newer aircraft, avionics and instruments can be loosened and slid out from the front of the panel; on older aircraft, they were installed from the back. That latter was a challenge resulting in the mechanic being upside down on the pilot or co-pilot seat with his head resting on the rudder pedals, fishing around back there to install an instrument, canon plug, vacuum or static line, tachometer cable, fuel or oil pressure line, and so on. A few years later, borrowing the title from Robert Pirsig’s book, I wrote a poem about that business, and it was published in the Coe College Review out of Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Here tis:

Zen and the Art of Aircraft Mechanics

They like it behind the panel:
    Cerebral problems leading to
    embarrassing physical positions
    not even sex could justify,
    the unreadable wiring,
    those clipped and hanging
    (God alone knows where they went),
    future problems encountered,
    sealed brains, de-ice timers, so on,
    the imposing black backs of instruments
    with their fat plugs, multi-wired
    bridge between realities,
    the dexterity of the fingers,
    the agility of the arm,
    the endurance of the neck and back:
    They like it behind the panel.

(From: Coe Review, Coe College, Issue 16, 1986)

Along with the brain power it takes to diagnose and fix problems, mechanics must learn the tricks, develop the dexterity and, more importantly, the determination. You might wonder, “Gee, how would you get a torque wrench on some of those lines?” Short answer: you wouldn’t, not unless you disassembled the aircraft surrounding it, or rigged up some kind of extension for the torque wrench consisting of a dozen extensions with a dozen universal joints leading to a crow’s foot on the end for which you’d need a very complicated conversion chart to convert the torque value. No, you just got it snug, and then a bit more, but not like some mechanics who followed the more-is-better principle of “Smoke tight and a quarter turn.”

In part, such tricky work can be blamed on engineers who never considered maintenance down the road. On the Piper Aerostar, they allowed so little room between the engine and the firewall, that to remove an aft cylinder, you had to remove the engine. Another example would be the bladder type fuel cells that, in time, developed leaks and had to be replaced. At the aircraft factory, they installed the cells and then the surrounding wing skins, but provided access via removable panels about the size of teacup saucers. To use Dad’s analogy of another human activity, it was like putting a marshmallow in a piggy bank, and, conversely, removing the marshmallow. Then, of course, you had the snaps, pipes, hose clamps, wet pumps, and so on to contend with. Beefy mechanics, like my buddy Sluggo in Little Rock, never had to do fuel cells—his arms were too big to fit in the holes.

A word more about dexterity. Later, working in Hot Springs, I had a couple customers from Little Rock. They were friends, each owned a Travel Air, a twin-engine Beechcraft with four cylinder Lycoming engines. They were orthopedic surgeons and liked to tinker on their airplane, so they liked to stay and “help” me. What amazed me about those guys was their lack of dexterity, their inability to work in difficult situations and start a nut or screw without getting it cross-threaded, for which I razzed them, saying, “Jeeze, and you guys are surgeons?” and suggested that maybe aircraft maintenance was the more difficult occupation, until one got his feelings hurt, and said, “Oh, yeah? Oh, yeah? Well, try changing spark plugs with the engine running!”

It was a valid point, and I have to give them kudos for their efforts toward maintenance; although sometimes they really screwed up the works. One of them had his plane in my shop, and I got into the nose baggage compartment to check the battery, took the panel off the battery compartment, and, holy cow, what a mess. Everything was wet with battery acid and there was corrosion everywhere. I figured the battery case must be cracked, but I removed the caps and the acid level was way high. I yelled, “Hey, Doc, did you add water to the battery?” He called back, “Yeah, and I’ve been meaning to mention that. I think there’s something wrong. I keep filling it up, but every time I check, it’s low.”

The worst thing about owners doing preventive maintenance, which they are allowed to do, is that most never make the required logbook entry. So that if something goes bad, an accident or violation, and the Feds step in, they look for the last name in the book. If it’s yours, and especially if you signed the 100 Hour or Annual Inspection, basically meaning that you’ve bought the whole kit and kaboodle, you find yourself sitting across the desk from an FAA Inspector. And while you may wear your best Clinton Deposition face and say, “I’m telling you, I did not do that,” the inspector’s expression, so very disappointed, says, “Lawd, Lawd, the cross I bear. Why do these people insist on blowing smoke up the FAA’s skirts?”

Here are pictures of Dad’s Kennedy Kit top box he used from his days at Douglas (the white patch says, “Testing Division, Douglas Aircraft, Co. Inc.”); a drawer full of tools from another time, but still useful; and my top box still with putty and quotes.

Tool Box (1).jpg

Tool Box (5).jpg

Tool Box (4).jpg

bill boyes

I had to go to Northrup school to get my A&P. How did to qualify to take the exams?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default A&p

Quote Originally Posted by bill boyes View Post
    I had to go to Northrup school to get my A&P. How did to qualify to take the exams?
    I envy you going to Northrup, Bill. I qualified via CFR 65.77(b) as I wrote about on page 3, post #26 of this thread. Having worked at the airport with my father since the age of 12, I had more than the thirty months required to qualify.

bill boyes

The A and P test are not easy tests. Then you have the practical which can be a little scarey. I admire you for passing the test with no formal schooling. I worked for TWA for 35 years . Started out as an avionics guy, Electrician, Rose up the ladder to Manager of Ground operation SFO. you and Master oil tell great stories. Keep them coming. How did you end up in Alaska?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Bill. Like Wayne, I’m writing this thread to honor my father who had many boat racing buddies. Quite a few follow BRF and wondered what became of him after he dropped out of racing, so that’s what this is about with, I hope, some amusing stories along the way.

About how I ended up in Alaska, well, that’s jumping ahead a bit, but I can always circle back. Around 1989, my wife Vicki and I were living in Little Rock where I worked at a repair station, Central Flying Service, as an A&P/IA and repair station inspector. In addition to the repair station where we worked on everything from Beech Skippers to business jets, Central sold new and used Beechcraft, had a classy charter operation, a pilot school, did contract line maintenance for the carriers flying into Little Rock: American, Northwest and Southwest (Delta had their own mechanic), and also had a nice restaurant and lounge. Central was (is) a popular FBO to drop into when crossing the U.S.

Anyway, Vicki and I were ready to move on. She applied to several hoity-toity grad schools that offered MBA programs (e.g., Stanford, Harvard), while I applied for a job with your TWA and as an inspector with the FAA. The deal was, whoever got accepted first, wherever it was, the other would throw in the towel and follow. To increase my odds of being accepted by the FAA, I volunteered for the Alaska Region. Of all those applications, the FAA was first to bite with a job offer at the FSDO in Fairbanks (Vicki ended up getting her MBA at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks). Funny thing, Bill, had I been hired by TWA, the job was out in San Francisco, and I might have ended up working for you.

But heading up to Alaska in 1990 with everything we owned packed into my 1977 Ford truck and Vicki’s Toyota Celica that was following on a tow-dolly (it was quite a drive, Little Rock to Fairbanks), I told her that after I got through training and secure in the job, I’d do a lateral transfer and have us out of Alaska in three years. Well, we got up there and loved Alaska! We lived in Fairbanks for 21 years. As Forrest’s mom said, “Life is like a box of chocolates…” So that’s the long answer to your short question.

Manager of TWA Ground Ops at SFO? Man, you were a big dog, Bill!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

STEVIE:

Your mention several times in this narrative of the company in Little Rock, "Central Flying Service" located on what was called, at the time, Adams Field in Little Rock, brings back a lot of memories. I don't know whether the time frame you were around there allowed you to know Claude Holbert, the owner, but I first met him in about 1948 when my Dad took flying lessons at Central. Don't remember now if Mr. Holbert was my Dad's instructor himself, but I do remember the first airplane ride I ever had from from Central in a V-Tail Bonanza with Mr. Holbert at the controls. The ride came about after my Dad had completed a lesson and my Mom and I were waiting in the lounge there to go home. Like most 12 year old kids during that time frame, I was airplane crazy from all the tales about pilots during WWII which had not been over very long at that point, and although I don't remember the specifics of just how that ride came about, but I would imagine that Claude saw me begging my Dad to take me for an airplane ride. As he was still a student pilot without a private license, he was not allowed to carry passengers then, so probably Claude took pity on him and to shut me up, took us up for a spin around the field in that Bonanza. From that time on I never wanted to do anything but fly whenever I had the chance.

Some years later in the mid-50's, I went to work at Adams field at Braniff Airlines as a ramp agent. Busting bags, working the radio and teletype, doing load forms, etc., along with some ticket agent work which I did not enjoy at all. I would much rather be on the ramp, working with the airplanes of the time, (2 DC-3 flights and 2 Convair 440's each way, east and west, each day). The old terminal where we were located was only about two city locks or so distance north of Central, and I spent a lot of time there between the times my work required me to be at the terminal. I finally scraped enough spare money together for some instruction in a BC-12 Taylorcraft with an instructor who over the next few years became a very close friend, and eventually helped me get some work in aircraft that increased my hours and also made me a much better pilot.

At the time, dual instruction at Central Flying Service in that type aircraft was 8.00 an hour and solo was 6.00 per hour, so my prime thrust was to solo so I could save the 2.00 per hour charge for dual instruction and start to build my time. Also at that time, 8 hours of dual instruction was required for the instructor to sign off for a student to solo. Chuck (my instructor) saw something in my flying ability, that if I were challenged with something, just made me more determined to do what was asked. I also enjoyed aerobatics, although the Taylor craft was not an aerobatic airplane by any means, you could spin and loop it (as you could many airplanes of that time) without danger if you did it the right way without negative, or too many positive "G's". At the time, during the 8 hr course of instruction the CAA (precursor to the present day FAA) required was spins, and the student has to show proficiency and be able to stop and then recover from a spin in I believe not more than one revolution. It was VERY hard for me to do that, not because I could not handle the airplane to stop it where needed, but I enjoyed the spins so much I did not want to stop. Chuck encouraged me to do it the right way by telling me that even though I had only completed 6 hours of the 8 required for solo, he would let me solo with the 6 if I did two spins and stopped the rotation where he wanted. That was good enough for me, as I really wanted to solo and get him out of the cockpit to lessen the cost of my flying, so we did the spins and when we landed at Adams Field after the hour of that instruction was over with, he got out and I went on my merry way. I look back on that day now after almost 55 years, as one of the most satisfying and good experiences of my life, as nothing does it for your self esteem to be able to take a hunk of tubing and fabric and make it do what you want.

Based on the instruction from Chuck, and his later going into the Aerial application business down the Arkansas River at Scott, Ar., (also just a few miles south of where I drove my first boat race at the LR Boat Club) I had to opportunity to take over one of his part time flying jobs while he was instructing, as with his small dusting/spraying company, he now no longer had the time to do what he had me take over for him, which was Power Line flying, which was flying along about 8-10 feet to the left side, and about 10 feet above the powerlines that crisscrossed the state of Arkansas. As I did not have my Commercial license yet, I was not able to charge for this flying, but just the thrill of it was worth it, in fact I would have probably paid the guy I was doing it for I enjoyed it so much. It was a challenge, for as you know, the state is filled with mountains, especially in the northern part, and the airplane I was using was a Piper Vagabond, with a 65HP engine, sometimes lacking in power when trying to climb the other side of the mountain you had just come down. VERY interesting flying, and I would be lying if I said that I sometimes came back home wondering "just how did I do that" and managed to get back without some pine tree branches in the landing gear. I also had the opportunity to help him with aerial application work, but without a Commercial, not able to be paid for that either. I really learned how to fly doing that work though, and look back on it as when I really learned how to fly an airplane, albeit an overloaded and marginally powered one when full of fuel and poison.

Without further thought wandering, I'll get to the purpose of this reminisce. Chuck, my instructor with Central Flying Service, went to work for Ozark Airlines in St. Louis in the mid 60's I believe. We had kept in touch over the years, and I was living in Kansas City at the time. He called me one New Years Eve and said he had an overnite trip in KC that evening and wanted to know if I wanted to go out with him and celebrate New Years. I already had plans, with someone we both know and you have mentioned in your story, namely Butch Leavendusky, so I suggested I pick him up and he would go to a party that Butch was having at his place in an old "grainery". It had been used to store grain at one time on his grandfathers's farm near where his Dad lived, and he had hired a band to play there and to celebrate New Years eve with a group of his boat racing friends.

Long story short, I picked Chuck up at the airport with the rest of his crew, co-pilot and flight attendant, and he asked if it was OK if they went along. "No problem, the more the merrier", and that is the story of my friend Chuck, who worked where you did at one time, and who introduced me to Eileen, the flight attendant on his flight, who has now been my wife for 40 years, celebrated this particular new year.

What to they say about the "degrees of separation?" Anyway, funny how some things in your life, that have been important to you, have also been in mine, namely a business called "Central Flying Service". I would have never met Chuck, if not for Central Flying Service, and consequently, Eileen.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what is so great about Boatracingfacts. I never knew that Bill Van was a pilot, and how he met Eileen, the story of Steve Ketzer, his wife and Dad, and how it tied in with Bill Boyes and the aircraft business. This is some really good stuff.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Central Flying Service

I couldn’t agree more, Wayne, and, Bill Van, thanks for that fun story about you and Eileen (and her brother flew F4s!). And you at Central: Mm-mm-mm. Isn’t that something? While I was there, Claud’s sons, Dick and Don, held the reins. “Central Flying Service” sounds like a dinky, fly-by-night outfit, but it’s a huge operation in Little Rock.

Talk about coincidence, in my next post I was (am) going to attach a couple pictures from the Summer 1983 issue of the “Beechcraft Marketing Report,” that ran an article on the shop I ran in Hot Springs (not on me, but the guy who owned it). In that very same issue, there’s an article on “Central Flying Service” and the Holberts. I can’t scan, but I’ll snap a couple pictures and attach them, along with a paper weight all employees received when Central celebrated their 50th anniversary. The paper weight had their new logo that employees, being employees, poked fun at by calling it the “Pac Man.”

About Bill Van calling me “Stevie,” as long as my Dad was with us, I was called Stevie or Stevie Jr., which bothered me not a bit, and now makes me smile. New at Central, though, I was called Steve until one day after we of the night shift arrived and were standing around picking our nose and waiting for the shift transfer to wrap up that always took way too long. Being a self-starter, I took off to find something to do, upon which one of the mechanics asked the others, “Wonder what Stevie’s doin’?” After that, and for the next five years, I was known as “Stevie Wonder.”

CFS1.jpg

CFS2.jpg

CFS3.jpg

CFS4.jpg

bill boyes

Quote Originally Posted by Ketzer View Post
    Thanks, Bill. Like Wayne, I’m writing this thread to honor my father who had many boat racing buddies. Quite a few follow BRF and wondered what became of him after he dropped out of racing, so that’s what this is about with, I hope, some amusing stories along the way.

About how I ended up in Alaska, well, that’s jumping ahead a bit, but I can always circle back. Around 1989, my wife Vicki and I were living in Little Rock where I worked at a repair station, Central Flying Service, as an A&P/IA and repair station inspector. In addition to the repair station where we worked on everything from Beech Skippers to business jets, Central sold new and used Beechcraft, had a classy charter operation, a pilot school, did contract line maintenance for the carriers flying into Little Rock: American, Northwest and Southwest (Delta had their own mechanic), and also had a nice restaurant and lounge. Central was (is) a popular FBO to drop into when crossing the U.S.

Anyway, Vicki and I were ready to move on. She applied to several hoity-toity grad schools that offered MBA programs (e.g., Stanford, Harvard), while I applied for a job with your TWA and as an inspector with the FAA. The deal was, whoever got accepted first, wherever it was, the other would throw in the towel and follow. To increase my odds of being accepted by the FAA, I volunteered for the Alaska Region. Of all those applications, the FAA was first to bite with a job offer at the FSDO in Fairbanks (Vicki ended up getting her MBA at the University of Alaska, Fairbanks). Funny thing, Bill, had I been hired by TWA, the job was out in San Francisco, and I might have ended up working for you.

But heading up to Alaska in 1990 with everything we owned packed into my 1977 Ford truck and Vicki’s Toyota Celica that was following on a tow-dolly (it was quite a drive, Little Rock to Fairbanks), I told her that after I got through training and secure in the job, I’d do a lateral transfer and have us out of Alaska in three years. Well, we got up there and loved Alaska! We lived in Fairbanks for 21 years. As Forrest’s mom said, “Life is like a box of chocolates…” So that’s the long answer to your short question.

Manager of TWA Ground Ops at SFO? Man, you were a big dog, Bill!
    I was hiring A&P mechanics at that time. How ironic. You ended up way better off working for the FAA.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Stevie:

Since it has been so long since we have actually seen each other, I have a tendency to forget your are a mature man now, and probably just want to be called "Steve", so that is what it will be, from me anyway, from now on. Sometimes we have a tendency to forget just how much a young man wants to get older and get to be "grown up", and calling him by a "kid's" name when he is a man is not very respectful, so Steve it will be from now on if I feel the urge to post on this thread again.

By the way, I seem to remember you mentioned Jerry McMillan a couple of pages back. I have not seen or heard from him in probably 20 years, or his son either, who I used to talk to sometimes as Harry Zak did some motor work for him (the son) also when he was racing after Jerry quit. Did Jerry make it past the aerial application part of his career without great bodily injury or worse? If so is he still living, and where, if you know?

Thread Information