Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: fibreglass in genneral new builds and repairs !!

Team Member
    China is where i live but new zealand is my home country
    Post Thanks / Like

Default fibreglass in genneral new builds and repairs !!

I have had a quick look and cant find where anyone is asking about glassing of any sort !!
    I have been in the boating industry for more years than I care to remember . built mega yachts down to small single handed performance sail craft and most everything in between, spent time working for and with a tunnel boat designer and manufacture , apart from tunnel family boats were also into F1 ,F3 AND SST 45 BOATS , designed and built a 45 that was very competitive and was still racing and in the top few after more than 10 years . speed on water is what I love most of all . have even been know to enjoy sail boats at odd time !! recently I am involved with the manufacture of family power boats in china , the company exports and I am QC for the company ! glass in general is my forte and where I have been adviser for a few people that have got into difficulties with composite engineers with no practical experience just programs and computer predictions that get it wrong more times than I care to count . so that's me !!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

hey, so you good with glass................. got a project goin . i'll get some shots , see what you think

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello
    Fibreglass is what I do Making boats , repairing boats refurbishing and redesigning interior structures etc etc !
    Its my full time job ! Powerboats to 7 mts is what the company makes mostly, family boats but glassing I make sure everything has to be done properly .
    Past I was a project manager making 36 foot match racing yachts in South Korea , before that a super yacht 147 foot long 6000 hp!!, BEFORE THAT making F1 boats and offshore powerboats with triple EFI mercury out boards , tunnel boats of all sizes !!
    Tunnel boats is where I am at my happiest and have designed and built sst 45 that used to fly like the wind !! have also made a range a smaller everyday family tunnels with cuddy cabin from 5.1 mts to 7 mtrs these were awesome boats and no mono of any design could come near for performance , handling , or useable space inside . and out in the rough left monos far behind in the wake and could not keep up !! . in a few weeks will be set up in my own business here in china ! why china ? because it a get up and move it kind of place and its also where a high percentage of the glass materials used comes from . can get any thing made specially or just run of the mill everyday buy off the shelf materials . so current project ! inbetween jobs !!

My philosophy is boats are beautiful and speed on water is the ultimate and even sex doesn't come close to the exhilaration and ever lasting excitement of travelling 100 mph over water !!

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

pics today, hope you are still hear...........

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

yes am still here but Pictures ??

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

they did not get it to stick vary well, bubbles . so i ground it down, will be going side to side about 1 meter wide wet it out and roll it, any help on gettin it to stick to the wood would be awesome thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

WOW AN ORIGANAL CLASSIC !!
    ok explain better what your intentions are and what you hoping to achieve and what materials you intends to use !where how and why ??
    if what ever was put down didn't stick well then it needs to be removed as in total !!, like 100% gone ! laying new over the top of old is a challenge on its own, but over crap that some one else had do is senseless ,pointless and waste of time, money and materials !! hit one decent wave with a thump and the lot pops off !

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

after a really close look at the picture no wonder it never stuck its over the top of a woven roving glass and never sticks well !!ever so if you get a chisel under the old glass on top it could simply rip off rather than having to grind it all off !!If you do grind be very careful not to damage the course woven glass underneath as its the whole strength of the layup that's there already !!
    Old style laminating simple not that good but Typical of the era of that boat was manufactured !! Its made from Polyester resin and so is advisable to use a better resin such as Vinylester or best a epoxy but its expensive !! so give some better pictures of what you have and the size of the area !! it has a wooden keel so glass need to go up the side of I all way level with top !

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

got a shot of the glass weave, its about 1 meter wide, lookin to glass the keel down so i can glue the deck on, they are sure to fly it off the biggest rollers they can find
    Attached Images Attached Images    

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the bond is weak around the bubbles. thinkin DA sand with 36 or 80 over the lose stuff
    thanks

Thread Information