Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Racing flywheel

BoatRacingFacts VIP lilwhirlwind's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Racing flywheel

Could I put a racing flywheel or a mod50?flywheel on my sst60 stinger that's on my 13 ft critchfield and it make a difference ?... well a noticeable difference? Plus they look awesome so lol...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lilwhirlwind View Post
    Could I put a racing flywheel or a mod50?flywheel on my sst60 stinger that's on my 13 ft critchfield and it make a difference ?... well a noticeable difference? Plus they look awesome so lol...
    There is a thread here on mod50 engine build. I believe what he did was turn down a standard 70hp flywheel, probably to APBA specs. You can see what minimum weight is allowed and demensions there-of on the "stock/mod tech manual" on the APBA website. I hope this helps.

Anyway, a lighter wheel will make it have to idle faster, which could compromise shifting components lasting as long. Acceleration will be quicker and it will seem to have more pep, if it is like my experience with some mercs.

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the stock wheel is 10#, i've tried to get the 65hp 7# fly wheel to fire on the new style box, would not do it , wanted to fire early. the 65 wheel fires on the old style box. the mod 50 wheel is 4 or 5 # it's also a 1000 bucks, does it make a difference, not with out all the other stuff , the gain is small............ cut down wheels can come apart at speed, not a good thing

Part one of "Secrets of the OMC Mod 50" : http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2052

Thread Information