Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone ever dynoed a 20H conversion?

Post Thanks / Like

We will never know completely what took place at the time between Mr K, Charlie Strang and Edgar Rose only what is recalled. John Timmons has direct access to Charlie Strang, I will ask him to see what Charlie recalls about the 20H Hp vs the Hot Rod and if he has any factory dyno test papers hanging around.
    Did find this thread by John Timmons over at Johns Merc site and includes letter on the 20H and the Hot Rod issues by Charlie Strang hope it opens to non members, no Hp numbers

http://johnsoldmercurysite.com/phpBB...php?f=9&t=7790
    " Three may keep a secret if two of them are dead" Ben Franklin
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hubbell's Dyno

Quote Originally Posted by champ20B View Post
    The Mark 25 fishing motor was 20 actual HP. But the 20H was dynoed at 23 by Hubbell I think. Doing this formula, that means that the 20H converted makes 29.13 HP.
    When the Mark 20-H came out, Stu Downs bought a new one. My dad, Stu and I went to Hubbell's to run this 20-H on the dyno. I remember the "Cussing" getting the cowlings off. I also remember that ONLY the powerhead was on the dyno. I can't recall the HP rating or how we started it without a rewind started.

I do remember that my dad and Pep didn't like the "Wobble" in the flywheel at high RPM's and they all kind of "DUCKED" when Pep ran the engine up to wide open throttle.

I guess you could say I was there when it happened.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    When the Mark 20-H came out, Stu Downs bought a new one. My dad, Stu and I went to Hubbell's to run this 20-H on the dyno. I remember the "Cussing" getting the cowlings off. I also remember that ONLY the powerhead was on the dyno. I can't recall the HP rating or how we started it without a rewind started.

I do remember that my dad and Pep didn't like the "Wobble" in the flywheel at high RPM's and they all kind of "DUCKED" when Pep ran the engine up to wide open throttle.

I guess you could say I was there when it happened.
    To bad a hp rating is not available from Hubbell's shop. Wobble is not good, what kind of wobble motion: up and down or side to side, or both? Good thing they ducked.
    " ------- well Doctor what have we got a Republic or Monarchy? A Republic he replies if you can keep it"
    Benjamin Franklin, 1787 Constitutional Convention, as recorded by signer James McHenry's in his diary at the Library of Congress

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default wobble

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    To bad a hp rating is not available from Hubbell's shop. Wobble is not good, what kind of wobble motion: up and down or side to side, or both? Good thing they ducked.
    That sounds wild! I wouldn't expect a bent crank on these engines. I figure they had some of the best one piece cranks made in outboards. Those Phelon wheels could get distorted or bent though, being they were forged steel. Sometimes they could get pitted in places from rust/corrosion and that could throw them off balance too.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rumleyfips View Post
    Your calculation doesn't explain the KG4H. In ASH I read between 61 and 61 on the same Keller. This 16 hp motor was an anomaly that shouldn't have been able to run that fast.
    The A Stock Hydro Kilo Record I set in 1974 was 60.884 mph....... One way at 61.8. My motor was a KG4, Serial No. 506879, and totally stock..... No Blueprinting and No Squished Block. I still have this motor... Green Gas Tank and Bottom Cowl and all...... Bendix Mag, by the way. I had always heard that the KG4 was about 15 - 16 HP. The olny thing that was done to this motor was to re-build it with pistons, rings (2 dead ones), bearings, seals, put in a sand cast reed cage, .010" (thin) reeds, and the Bendix Mag. It was fast right away. I ran it for at least 10 years, only putting on new top rings. After it wore out, I started to run a Mark 15.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    The A Stock Hydro Kilo Record I set in 1974 was 60.884 mph....... One way at 61.8. My motor was a KG4, Serial No. 506879, and totally stock..... No Blueprinting and No Squished Block. I still have this motor... Green Gas Tank and Bottom Cowl and all...... Bendix Mag, by the way. I had always heard that the KG4 was about 15 - 16 HP. The olny thing that was done to this motor was to re-build it with pistons, rings (2 dead ones), bearings, seals, put in a sand cast reed cage, .010" (thin) reeds, and the Bendix Mag. It was fast right away. I ran it for at least 10 years, only putting on new top rings. After it wore out, I started to run a Mark 15.
    Dean

When you set the ASH kilo record back in 74 did you have to be not less minimum weight for ASH of 330 lbs back then?
    What was the prop shaft height you ran and rpm if you recall of course?

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

ASH was 330 lb and ASR 345 if I remember rightly.

With the hydro you went up until it stopped pumping water then backed down 1/8. With the runabout you went up till it wouldn't get on plane and backed off 1/8. In fact we had our own version of height restrictions.

Lake Sammamish, Washington and Indio, California
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zul8tr View Post
    Dean

When you set the ASH kilo record back in 74 did you have to be not less minimum weight for ASH of 330 lbs back then?
    What was the prop shaft height you ran and rpm if you recall of course?
    The A Stock Hydro weight was in that range.... 330 - 345 if I recall. I was always not more than 5 pounds over..... Just to be safe.

The prop shaft height was at least 1" above the bottom of the boat. Kicked - in just a bit. I ran the 'Scoop Skeg" type Gear Case with the water inlet that was on the bottom of the bullet..... Allowing more "Jack Up". Best of all.... It was a R. Allen "Papa" Smith propeller, made from a Kamic 48-23636. The boat was an Ed Karelsen built for the Kilos. I could read about 62, on the Keller Speedometer.
    Dean Hobart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanFHobart View Post
    The A Stock Hydro weight was in that range.... 330 - 345 if I recall. I was always not more than 5 pounds over..... Just to be safe.

The prop shaft height was at least 1" above the bottom of the boat. Kicked - in just a bit. I ran the 'Scoop Skeg" type Gear Case with the water inlet that was on the bottom of the bullet..... Allowing more "Jack Up". Best of all.... It was a R. Allen "Papa" Smith propeller, made from a Kamic 48-23636. The boat was an Ed Karelsen built for the Kilos. I could read about 62, on the Keller Speedometer.
    Do you have any pics of that Karelsen?

The record set in 1999 with a better engine(?) isn't much different than what you set back in 1974.

Kilo* Straightaway APBA 62.163 3/6/1999 Oroville, CA Gooffy Shawn Love Jack Terrell Sorensen Evinrude

Post Thanks / Like

Dean I still have a un touched Kamic 48 - 23636 prop. My Dad bought it new in the 50's

Thread Information