Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Tohatsu / mercury 3 cyl water on plugs.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of guys don't run the stops either.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks mate, I'll give him a call and order a set of new reeds. Much appreciated.

Zul8tr, wow thanks for the direct link, what a great read. Very interesting thread on oils. Reminds me of the old valvoline commercial that the moto was "oils ain't olis" . Lol.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

Well I tested the boat again with the reed stoppers bent back to original postion. Slight improvement of power down low. I'm thinking these reeds are useless as some are only just sealing on the edge when closed. They barely have 1mm and some have 3mm. I have to order new reeds as these are hopeless. Even though before the water induction it ran fine, I can't presume these reeds should still be any good.
    I also beleive 100psi is too low ? I know it will run ok but it should be up around 120 to 130 I imagine with the shaved head and block. Possibly the water running in the bores has done damage to the rings and bore and not sealing properly. No scores were present but if it was on on 140psi per cyl then that's almost 50% increase in compression. Maybe the 18p surface prop doesn't like running on 100psi. I can't remember what it was initially when I bought the motor I think 115 to 120psi. Not sure.
    If I have to throw a set of rings and hone it then so be it.
    First I will try new reeds and remove the reed stoppers? And give the carbies a clean and inspection possibly the high speed jets are blocked? 100% no more water getting in , at least that's fixed.
    The race never stops

Post Thanks / Like

I've ordered a new set of race reeds from CCM, looking forward to them arriving and hopefully will solve the new problem of very noticeable power loss. If not it has to be lack of power from 100 psi compression. Nothing else has been touched, timing, jets etc...
    The race never stops

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

i have a tohatsu 50 here in brisbane and done a bit of testing with heads etc. stock should be about 130psi, either your loosing compression somewhere or your gauge is off. i had 40thou taken off my head and nothing off the block and was approx 155psi. i now have a center firing billet head thats ~170psi. 105 is way too low.

you should have gone original gasket from the start, the only other thing i could imagine it being is a hairline crack in the head or the domes??

Id give you my head and an oem gasket to try if you where closer.

as far as reeds go. i use carbon fiber with retainers removed

Thread Information