Thread: RON HILL says What Outboard Racing Needs:

Post Thanks / Like

Default RON HILL says What Outboard Racing Needs:

RON HILL says What Outboard Racing Needs:

What OUTBOARD BOAT RACING needs to ever stop the "Circling the Drain Trend".

1. APBA needs to be the promoter of all outboard Nationals. They need partners like DePue has been but they also need Lucas Oil, Champion Spark Plugs, Mercury Marine, Tohatsu Outboards.

2. Generally, all current classes should be left alone until their own demise.

3.. APBA had Charlie Strange as had of appeals on disagreements. Someone like a Mike Wiendant, Bob Wartinger, Ron Hill, Fred Hauensteint, Rich Fuchlin, Greg Jacobsen, Joe Johnson, Ed Hearn need to be appointed as the APBA Appeals Manager and be on 24 hour race day call. Things like the guy in Canada,,not being allowed to race becasue he missed Sunday's driver's meeting could be appealed immediately.

Growing Outboard Racing

1. It is my suggestion to start 4 classes National Classes immediately. A National Chairman will be appointed for life by APBA for these four classes. The Chairman can appoint a Commission that advises the Chairman, but has no rule change power. NASCAR makes the rule, owners and driver and race to the rules NASCAR SETS.

2. The four classes would be:
    A. 25 HP Two Stroke Hydro---Any 25 Mercury
    B. 25 HP two Stroke Runabout---Any 25 Mercury
    C. 25 HP Four Stroke Hydro---Any 25 Four Stroke
    D. 25 HP Four Stroke Runabout---NY 25 Four Stroke

3. Engine rules would follow stock factory spec sheets

4. Nose cones of any kind could be used with bottom water pick ups, side water pick ups can be blocked.
    5. Drivers will be seated.
    6. Steering will be normal production steering with Morse type cables.
    7. Foot throttle will be required to return to idle.
    8. All runabout fins will be on the bottom in a required area,
    9. All hydro Sponson fins will be required to have splash guards so as to not throw water in the air
    10. Boats will have a PRE APPROVED SAFETY GAGE with flotation.
    11. Both Hydros and Runabouts will have spec sheets a to their size and design. Boats can be wood or fiber glass but must meet specs.
    12. Weights to be determined once the prototype boats are made.
    13. Electric starter are legal an encouraged

4. Races:

1. All races will be 24 laps. 2-12 lap heats, 3-8 lap heats, 4-6 lap heats or one 24 lap heat.
    2. All starts are dead engine, shore starts
    Attached Images Attached Images       

Post Thanks / Like

Default 25 HP Mercury Two Stroke

25hp mercury 2 stroke outboard | eBay

Mercury 25hp 2 stroke outboard 15" shaft mid section | eBay

$1,100 and a nose cone and you'd have a 25 Racing Two Stroke...

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I’ll take it a step further. All current stock classes to mod immediately except maybe 300SSH. New stock classes to be based on production engines sold in showrooms today. Could separate 2 and 4 stroke. As far as APBA goes I would seriously consider bringing out a 8 1/2x11 blank sheet of paper again. Not sure NBRA is the answer, I suggested they expand their presence across North America but no one seems to have the appetite for it. That being said the time for change is ripe, like HRL ripe. Hydroplane Quebec and Valleyfield had finally had enough of APBA over rules and made a break and shut out American competitors for a few years. You know how the Golden Rule works, the one who has the gold rules. With Valleyfield putting up 250k in purse every year it was pretty clear who was going to dictate the show. I see what Bob Abbott is doing in Quebec with a J Stock revival and with the current motor situation now would be the time like a governing body like HRL to remake stock outboard racing and increase their profile because you can reach a much wider participating audience. So with your suggestions this is where I would be headed. No more problems locating motors, parts, etc. I really wonder how the much the money that H1 forks over to APBA for the right to use the Gold Cup every year keeps APBA floating. Surprised HRL hasn’t put a bid in for it and have the GP’s race for it in Valleyfield. They already have a lot of nice trophies in Valleyfield, the Gold Cup would be a nice addition to hand out.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Default Don't Kill Classes, Combine Them

I have not finished my saga, but found s picture of one of the first Quincy Looper sirca 1963. The lower unit has Mercury gears but the lower unit casting was made by Marshall Eldridge. Lower units should be legal, made by anyone, as long as they meet specs.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information