Thread: 2022 Stock Outboard Racing’s Future

Hybrid View

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Other sit down rides with production engines, TBoat classes in Ontario, which are a reincarnation of outboard classes from the 70’s and 80’s. There was some talk in Region 6 of coming up with something similar to T750 and 850. The opportunity I see there is use the Ontario model or a model that satisfies participants in Region 6 and Ontario and people can race on both sides of the border. They currently race at some TORC races and some drag events. There may be an opportunity to run Marathon races in Michigan, perhaps Top O. Big opportunity for those two classes to grow, lots of boats and motors available. The Ontario guys hang out on the High Performance Boating Canada website and post here also.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to popular belief, my Ropp marathon boat is a kneeler. A deep vee with pad, it's probably the best rough water marathon boat ever built. This image is Top-O 2015 with Tyler Shensky in hot pursuit. There's a decent chance it'll return in 2023.
    Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Likes dandrews75 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.dillon-racing.com/pro-vee/plans.htm

Here's a great potential solution for a sit-down beginner or 4-stroke class.
    Likes dandrews75 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Never realized your boat wasn’t a sit down ride. I have never looked inside it, always assumed it was a sit down ride. Thanks for sharing the Dillon Racing site. Lots of good stuff there. I see someone with the above ride has hit 57+ with a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. The class of boat above uses the 31.8 ci OMC, the 20, 25, 30 and 35 all share the same parts, they are running right at 50 mph in the above configuration. I have a couple here in the garage a 25 and 35. You can buy them for a dime a dozen, I paid 200 CDN for the 35. You can also add the Panther power trim/tilt for as low as $550. It is a bolt on piece, very nice! Could add that class to any program at any race. The new 4 strokes would look good on the back. Guys over on TinBoats.net have a wealth of information on low HP production outboards. Lots of potential out there we just need to realized it and capitalize, drop the “me” and embrace the “we”.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest issue with APBA racing is "what's in my trailer" syndrome. The SORC and MORC killed the sport to protect their classes. With zero "small motor" support from major marine manufacturers, it's impossible for a rookie to get involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone race B stock anymore? I bought a nice Bennett BSR with an 80 Yamato off of Facebook and then I find that B Stock wasn't raced at TOPO or locally this year. Also the last two races locally we did not have enough CSR's to run.

I was able to find a 102 and 302 easy enough and build my own boat but any new motor to purchase is going to be a four stroke. Perhaps that 20 hp Tohatsu fitted to the old "B" boats? Call it the "NewB" class? :-)
    Most of the small Mercs are Tohatsu's with a black cowl anyways. The round nose gear cases run better than the pointy ones below 85mph if the prop shaft is low I have found.

I perceive that there are two ways the sport is populated. Mom or Dad race and their kids do, or kids never affording to race but always wanting to get involved, some time later in life and participate when they can afford to.

Being in the second category, I never thought I would live as long as I have, so I was 70 before I got my first APBA race boat. Its a lot of fun with some great folks. My composite CSR has a seat and it will allow my beat up old body to run TOPO which is my goal. When I am left alone unsupervised this is what you get.
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-15-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans
    Likes dandrews75, Albert liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to race “B” anything when the engine of choice is not being produced right now. You also have the added difficulty when said engine of choice has not been reliable. The Y80 and Merc 25xs were suppose to be stop gap measures to bring numbers up in “B” while SW20 numbers came up. Well how has that worked out? So your logical conclusion of putting a production motor on the back of your boat is the correct one because right now you cannot buy any of the current new engines used for stock outboard in any class!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Thread Information