Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Stock Outboard Racing’s Future

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rev Limiters Could Be The Great Equalizer, Too!

I very much dislike REV limiters because they have caused me much research and development time. Props have to be made to stay off the rev limiters getting on plane or the boat won't plane....then to go quick and fast is another problem.

BUT I do feel they same motors!

I know nothing of MSD Ignitions except they run them down south in drags on their small motors.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Hill View Post
    I very much dislike REV limiters because they have caused me much research and development time. Props have to be made to stay off the rev limiters getting on plane or the boat won't plane....then to go quick and fast is another problem.

BUT I do feel they same motors!

I know nothing of MSD Ignitions except they run them down south in drags on their small motors.
    My gut tells me tohastu probably didn’t go to overly complex with the ecu and ignition control. Can someone get a copy of a tohastu factory service manual with wiring diagrams and info on how to get detailed data off the ecu?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 1986 Tohatsu Ignitions Fire at TDC and BDC at the Same Time

The old Tohatsu's fired twice per cylinder per revolution. Once at Top Dead Center, then again at bottom dead center.

You could cross the plug wires an the motor didn't care (25, 30 and 40's is what I knew).

Maybe, the new coils do the same and one wire could be split for two cylinders, leaving the REV LIMITER WIRE OFF.

I'll cross that bride if I ever get that far.

1986, Chad Hill, 9 years old driving our Snapper with a 30 Tohatsu!
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-10-2022 at 06:17 PM.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  14E30BF3-9E2E-4375-8A07-C80F45FE20F5.jpeg
Views: 423
Size:  48.7 KB
    Remember this boat? Rusty Rae’s son Joe drove this J/A Hydro.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Name:  11BDC67C-1797-43DD-8BB4-60531F5409B4.jpeg
Views: 396
Size:  481.8 KB
    The Cadillac of runabouts. Powered by a Mark 58 here and repowered with a Tohatsu later. Have seen this boat run marathon many times.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The 5 hp class run in Malaysia looks ( to me ) impressively fast with both v bottoms and tunnels.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Other sit down rides with production engines, TBoat classes in Ontario, which are a reincarnation of outboard classes from the 70’s and 80’s. There was some talk in Region 6 of coming up with something similar to T750 and 850. The opportunity I see there is use the Ontario model or a model that satisfies participants in Region 6 and Ontario and people can race on both sides of the border. They currently race at some TORC races and some drag events. There may be an opportunity to run Marathon races in Michigan, perhaps Top O. Big opportunity for those two classes to grow, lots of boats and motors available. The Ontario guys hang out on the High Performance Boating Canada website and post here also.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Contrary to popular belief, my Ropp marathon boat is a kneeler. A deep vee with pad, it's probably the best rough water marathon boat ever built. This image is Top-O 2015 with Tyler Shensky in hot pursuit. There's a decent chance it'll return in 2023.
    Tim
    Likes dandrews75 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

https://www.dillon-racing.com/pro-vee/plans.htm

Here's a great potential solution for a sit-down beginner or 4-stroke class.
    Likes dandrews75 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Never realized your boat wasn’t a sit down ride. I have never looked inside it, always assumed it was a sit down ride. Thanks for sharing the Dillon Racing site. Lots of good stuff there. I see someone with the above ride has hit 57+ with a yamaha 40hp 2 stroke. The class of boat above uses the 31.8 ci OMC, the 20, 25, 30 and 35 all share the same parts, they are running right at 50 mph in the above configuration. I have a couple here in the garage a 25 and 35. You can buy them for a dime a dozen, I paid 200 CDN for the 35. You can also add the Panther power trim/tilt for as low as $550. It is a bolt on piece, very nice! Could add that class to any program at any race. The new 4 strokes would look good on the back. Guys over on TinBoats.net have a wealth of information on low HP production outboards. Lots of potential out there we just need to realized it and capitalize, drop the “me” and embrace the “we”.

Thread Information