Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Stock Outboard Racing’s Future

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The biggest issue with APBA racing is "what's in my trailer" syndrome. The SORC and MORC killed the sport to protect their classes. With zero "small motor" support from major marine manufacturers, it's impossible for a rookie to get involved.

Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone race B stock anymore? I bought a nice Bennett BSR with an 80 Yamato off of Facebook and then I find that B Stock wasn't raced at TOPO or locally this year. Also the last two races locally we did not have enough CSR's to run.

I was able to find a 102 and 302 easy enough and build my own boat but any new motor to purchase is going to be a four stroke. Perhaps that 20 hp Tohatsu fitted to the old "B" boats? Call it the "NewB" class? :-)
    Most of the small Mercs are Tohatsu's with a black cowl anyways. The round nose gear cases run better than the pointy ones below 85mph if the prop shaft is low I have found.

I perceive that there are two ways the sport is populated. Mom or Dad race and their kids do, or kids never affording to race but always wanting to get involved, some time later in life and participate when they can afford to.

Being in the second category, I never thought I would live as long as I have, so I was 70 before I got my first APBA race boat. Its a lot of fun with some great folks. My composite CSR has a seat and it will allow my beat up old body to run TOPO which is my goal. When I am left alone unsupervised this is what you get.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 12-15-2022 at 01:16 PM.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans
    Likes dandrews75, Albert liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to race “B” anything when the engine of choice is not being produced right now. You also have the added difficulty when said engine of choice has not been reliable. The Y80 and Merc 25xs were suppose to be stop gap measures to bring numbers up in “B” while SW20 numbers came up. Well how has that worked out? So your logical conclusion of putting a production motor on the back of your boat is the correct one because right now you cannot buy any of the current new engines used for stock outboard in any class!
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

There’s a summary on the Hot Pit FB of the SORC zoom call to discuss/vote on proposals. The thing of most note is the very last point/paragraph of the summary. SORC Chairman Nichols met with the head of Mercury Racing Stuart Halley. Stuart mentioned Mercury has the 15 & 20 HP 4 stroke motors they would like to introduce to racing. These engines are all under 30 HP and produced at a factory in Japan. The factory is a combined venture between Mercury and Tohatsu. I am going to assume that since this was last in the summary and no mention was made where production engines fit into the future of Stock Outboard Racing that they are still an afterthought with the SORC. The impression I get is they are still hitching the wagon to the past, like approving 30h gear cases for the 25xs because there are no 25xs cases left. How old is this engine? Doesn’t it fall into the collectable category at this point? Racing this way is not the now and nor is it the future! Sending a letter to SW LLC to draft a letter to the stock outboard membership for an update as to what is going on with the corporation? They don’t owe anyone an explanation, it’s business! Let’s see here? SW LLC, Yamato, (BRF folded the tent on OMC they past spring) or Mercury? How many years has Mercury been in business for now? Choose wisely!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

This was a post by laddies on Hydroracer 2 years ago during the discussion about the Mercury 20 HP 4 Stroke
    Deeougee, I know that it is unpopular among the good of boys but I think that stockoutboard needs to get back to it's roots and use stock engines from a legitimate outboard manufacture, not like what is being done now. Engine that are manufactured in a small business platforn will always be scarce along with parts for them. Stockoutboard racers need engines and parts readly available to them, and when new engines become available the need to be raced in the factory new specifications, not allowing crankshaft welding, differant carbs, heads milled to mention just a few things. Props should be drawn at the race like the merc challenge. If everyone used a fishing lower unit so be it, but we need to get back to stock, where it is the drivers ability, not deep pockets to win a race.
    No one from the committee better come here and say they are working on a plan! It’s been 2 years since you were given a motor to test! Either **** or get off the pot!

Post Thanks / Like

Ron, some thoughts on your post.

You displayed a picture of a 20 hp Tohatsu so that is the one I started to research. I would think that pushing a new 15 into classes that have boats and motors already racing would receive some push back. Pushing a 20 cu in Tohatsu 4 stroke into B class not racing might be embraced.

I had a project for a twin outboard endurance boat and started discussions with Mercury and was told "We don't need to promote racing, we have more sales we can handle", and we would not be interested at all unless it was "Green" Electric or Hydrogen". Presently I can't get the ten Mercury 300 hp V-8 engines I have had on order since February 2021, and was told "We can't tell you when you will get them". Maybe its just me. I switched to Cummins diesels so I can ship boats.

I spoke to my Tohatsu distributor yesterday on the other hand, about getting some motors for stock outboard racing and heard him say comments like "cool" "awesome" "inventory sitting in the warehouse ready to ship". The Tohatsu distributor will stop in to see me in January so I will have him bring me a 20 and get a transom on the "B' boat raised to fit it.

My first thought is to fit a water pressure guage to the tohatsu and start jacking the motor up incrementally. We modify Mercury stock gear case's now to get water pressure, even the sportmaster with the factory low water pickup designed in. The 450R with the HD case round nose) we were only getting 8 PSI. We plugged all 16 gill intakes above the cavitation plate, drilled (4) 1/4" holes in the nose of the gear case, and two 1/2" holes through the water pump partition. Go as high as we want now. Went from 8 to 28 PSI. 28" is what the engine required not to go into guardian mode.

If the prop shaft is height checked like my Yamato maybe you would not need a nose cone with the Tohatsu and a few holes plugged and drilled.

Ron Hill, sign me up for a propeller.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans
    Thanks Ron Hill, dandrews75 thanked for this post
    Likes dandrews75 liked this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini Max,
    I wonder if the 20hp has a pressure sensor from the factory. If so I’m guessing it would be a standard 0-5 or 0-12v sensor. If so it would be pretty easy to just get a regular gauge and mount it up at the front of the boat.

I’m really excited to see how you and Ron make out with the 20 4t motors.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

The new A stock class 250cc racing !

Plus an extra 10% off coupon, WOW !

EXTRA $10 OFF WITH CODE FVEDRFTGSee all eligible items and terms

Click to enlarge
    Have one to sell?
    Sell now
    Shop with confidence
    Top Rated Plus
    Trusted seller, fast shipping, and easy returns.
    Learn more- Top Rated Plus - opens in a new window or tab
    eBay Money Back Guarantee
    Get the item you ordered or get your money back.
    Learn more- eBay Money Back Guarantee - opens in a new window or tab
    Seller information
    wehaveuneed (595)
    98.5% Positive feedback

Save this seller
    Contact seller
    Visit store
    See other items

HANGKAI 18HP 2 Stroke Outboard Motor Boat Engine Water Cooled CDI Tiller Control
    Condition:
    NewNew
    Sale ends in:
    3d 23h
    Quantity:
    More than 10 available
    Price:
    US $1,625.45
    Was US $1,711.00
    Save US $85.55 (5% off)
    $67.72 for 24 months with PayPal Credit*
    Buy It Now
    Add to cart
    Best Offer:
    Make offer
    Add to Watchlist
    Returns accepted
    Ships from United States
    Shipping:
    US $39.00 Standard Shipping | See detailsfor shipping
    Located in: Monroe Township, New Jersey, United States
    Delivery:
    Estimated between Thu, Dec 22 and Tue, Dec 27 to 34243
    Returns:
    30 day returns | Seller pays for return shipping | See details- for more information about returns
    Payments:

*$67.72 for 24 months. Minimum purchase required. | See terms and apply now- for PayPal Credit, opens in a new window or tab
    Earn up to 5x points when you use your eBay Mastercard®. Learn moreabout earning points with eBay Mastercard
    Similar sponsored items

eBay item number:394134816334

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It may be a temperature sensor and not a pressure sensor. Had an Evinrude Etec 50 go into limp mode due to an increase in engine temperature caused by reduced water flow from weeds over the water pickup screens.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini Max,
    I wonder if the 20hp has a pressure sensor from the factory. If so I’m guessing it would be a standard 0-5 or 0-12v sensor. If so it would be pretty easy to just get a regular gauge and mount it up at the front of the boat.

I’m really excited to see how you and Ron make out with the 20 4t motors.

Thread Information