Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2022 Stock Outboard Racing’s Future

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Mini Max,
    I wonder if the 20hp has a pressure sensor from the factory. If so I’m guessing it would be a standard 0-5 or 0-12v sensor. If so it would be pretty easy to just get a regular gauge and mount it up at the front of the boat.

I’m really excited to see how you and Ron make out with the 20 4t motors.
    There are multiple versions of the 20 hp, aside from 15, 20, 25" legs. Two with tillers, two without tillers, remote control, electric start. They do have a guardian overheat mode so what you suggest is probably true. I am not allowed to do anything electrical in my shop because I caught the ground on fire at my boat yard in Miami with 13,000 volts. I have an electrician/rigger now that tells me so.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mini Max, I look forward to the day of seeing your boat in the starting line picture at TOP O with the Tohat on the back most likely with estart. Hoping we can really push production engines forward in the Stock Outboard Division. “Race on Sunday Fish On Monday”.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Max View Post
    There are multiple versions of the 20 hp, aside from 15, 20, 25" legs. Two with tillers, two without tillers, remote control, electric start. They do have a guardian overheat mode so what you suggest is probably true. I am not allowed to do anything electrical in my shop because I caught the ground on fire at my boat yard in Miami with 13,000 volts. I have an electrician/rigger now that tells me so.
    That 13k volts sounds exciting!

Betcha a coffee all 15-20hp tohastu motors use the same wiring harness and sensors regardless of control configuration. Although it probably used water temp or cylinder head temp for its temperature shut off. Again I would love to see a wiring diagram from a service manual. Would answer a lot of questions for me personally.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Betcha a coffee all 15-20hp tohastu motors use the same wiring harness and sensors regardless of control configuration. Although it probably used water temp or cylinder head temp for its temperature shut off. Again I would love to see a wiring diagram from a service manual. Would answer a lot of questions for me personally.
    A Service manual from online dealers is $80.
    The installation manual is online https://www.tohatsu.com/marine/commo..._US_EN_web.pdf
    There is a dealer down the road I can see if they have one or purchase at the same time with the motor. Mercury has the same engine and I checked stock to find they are on B.O.

The threshold for Stock Outboard participation is the motor. It took 6 months for me to have a Yamato in hand and almost a year for a Tohatsu Ram 50 with Bass tower and gearcase. I was focused and diligent. I grew up not having and working a long time for things so that did not faze me. All my friends growing up bought their outboards with paper route money and built ...wait for it... Mini Max's so to pretend to be boat racers. Its all about online ordering and two day delivery that entry level boat racing is competing against now.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great Post Paul

I don't think they can sell these two strokes in California.

Post Thanks / Like

I am OEM with Mercury but I went on line to their portal and none were to be had. Mercury have none.
    I live in a tiny town in North Carolina on the Pamlico and the local boat yard has a small ships store, for paint and maintenance parts for the do-it-yourself customers.. Tohatsu listed them as a dealer. I was thinking yea, right but the owner is a friend so I gave him a call. He said sure I have 20's probably 10 in stock, which model do you want! :-)

Its going to be a mix and match.
    Manual starting vs electric. Manual.........There are two flywheels, the manual should be lighter.
    Remote kit check...........It has all the brackets to connect a 33C Morse throttle cable. My Ram 50 uses a Morse instead of a Bowden throttle cable. No Problem.
    Steering check ..........I'm going to use the tilt tube and a push pull cable and helm. You need the drag link.
    Power trim check...........Oooo La La Its an experiment right? I was told it will not hold up long if trimmed under full throttle but beats going back to the ramp every test
    ECU Uh Oh ..........Seems like the restricted to 10 HP and under group buy the 9.8 hp and take out the restrictor plate and flash the ECU or maybe they just buy a 20 ECU .
    ..............................................Some one once said anything worth winning was worth cheating for. Its electric, I have no idea how to control that.
    Water pressure. Not to worry....The gear case water pick up may need a little work but we do that now to every boat we rig. The guardian mode is an overheat sensor.
    Racing TOPO Not in 2023.....Its a National championship and class legal engines only.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

The GT class is a great class, too bad there are no manufactures of that style of hull in North America, I think there are only one or two Winrace hulls in the North America. One of the guys up here in Canada tried to get some molds brought to Canada from Europe but got screwed over.

A big plus about the class is the ability to run in some conditions that the hydros don't plus they can run on the lakes when not racing.

Post Thanks / Like

The GT class is a great class, too bad there are no manufactures of that style of hull in North America, I think there are only one or two Winrace hulls in the North America. One of the guys up here in Canada tried to get some molds brought to Canada from Europe but got screwed over.

A big plus about the class is the ability to run in some conditions that the hydros don't plus they can run on the lakes when not racing.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s interesting that overseas Mercury is interested enough in gt15 to have a press release on their own website about their engine being approved for competition against the tohastu.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en-gb/...-racing-class/

Thread Information