Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 20 HP Mercury and 20 HP Tohatsu Racing Propeller

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

You were reading my mind, I was coming back to comment about Tim’s boat. I think an 11-12 foot version of this boat would be the ticket. I also believe we may need to get away from the current rules governing utility boats. I can see class realignment including or resembling GT15/30, T750 and T850. The TBoat classes are raced in Ontario and I really think they should be included in stock outboard. Will be interesting to see what HRL has up their sleeve. They attempted a takeover of CBF at the November AGM. Wondering if an outboard series is in our future. NBRA has made the engine legal for hydro classes. So change is coming. I think we are pretty well at the wall with the current boats being tried. Like anything once more people get involved advances will come quickly. Too bad Ed Karelsen wasn’t here still, I’m sure he would’ve sketched something up.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at the Winrace hulls online, very similar to Tim’s boat also. They are uncommon over here also but from what I gather they are using a 13’ boat in GT15&30. This would mean that a Delta, Critchfield, Voodo, Allison, Checkmate, etc would work. I also read surface riding props are the way to go with these boats, 10 mph difference.

Post Thanks / Like

Any boat with a 20 hp four stroke can race APBA in BSR or SSR15 in 2024 and 2025. Any boat, any weight, any prop shaft height.
    Therefore any GT-15 GT-30 with a 20 can race in APBA. I am in fact looking at getting a 30 Hp Tohatsu to fit to a boat. Todd Anderson has supplied a LAK prop for it that came last week. I have had a new Yamato 331 on order for 2 1/2 years, so maybe they let me run that 30 hp as an exhibition in CSR? 100% I will make sure the boat will fit the GT-30 rules. How cool to go to Europe and race there?
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

So any boat and any 4 stroke 20 hp. So Mercury, Tohatsu, Suzuki, Honda and Yamaha. For me the Yamaha is a non starter at 126 lbs. all the others are between 94 and 104. I wouldn’t over look the used market for these engines either. I saw a Merc for sale for 2000 CDN that had 10 hrs on it earlier in the year. Saw a brand new Suzuki for 2770 US today. The Honda is interesting in that it is the largest displacement 20 and is carbed and has a long production run, been the same motor for eons. If I were you I’d put the 331 in the review mirror. There is going to come a time in the not to distant future where the exporting of this engine is going to stop. The race sites in Japan own these engines not Yamato and they answer to the race sites. They only build what they request. There is only one person handling the export shipments and that person is not very enthusiastic about the extra work. It wasn’t that long ago that Yamato brought in a consulting firm to review their whole operation to see where they could cut costs. Their whole business model changed and they saved millions of dollars. They are making changes to the motor frequently enough where things like ignition parts are not compatible with an earlier production motor. You’ve been waiting how long for one? The answer of what to do is obvious.
    Thanks Ron Hill thanked for this post
    Likes Ron Hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Daniel Pearson is a Suzuki Dealer and gave a 20 hp engine to one of the racers. Unfortunately they were too busy to put another boat together. The Suzuki prop shaft is a 10 spline, different than the 14 spline Tohatsu. I did have a Suzuki GT-15 prop from Winrace in Norway on standby this year but they elected not to purchase it. Ron Hills props have a pressed in hub fit for Tohatsu but easy to fit a Suzuki or Yamaha hub.
    www.Compmillennia.com Builder of Lightspeed Catamarans

Thread Information