I thought this would be a good place to start this discussion. I hope I am right.
My question is this:
Can anyone tell me how the Merc 44xs (and 25xs) motors were introduced into APBA's stock outboard division? What I'd like to learn is, What kind of APBA comittee was used to create and oversee new engines and/or new classes? What was the first year the 44xs was a legal D stock motor? Were there any Mark 58 type(44c.i.) owners who were displaced and disgruntled by this transition? Those motors used to be raced in a class called E stock, right? The only other legal D stock motor to compete with the 44xs back then was the 40c.i. merc, right?
Also, was the Merc challenge series of races backed by Mercury Marine? Was the Merc challenge proposed for the new engines in the their first racing year? How long did the Merc challenge promotion last?

I know this is a lot of information to ask for. I'd be thankful for any tidbits you folks could teach me. I was racing in a local non-APBA club during the years all this transpired, so I missed it. Now I'd like to learn about it to help give myself a little historical perspective. I'd buy a book about it if there were one that covered this history.
Thanks.