Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Vintage Mini Boat pictures

Threaded View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vintage Mini Boat pictures

I just thought I'd share some pictures of mini boats from the 1980's, my mini boat brothers and sisters of Region 12. I ran Mod-C on a Mirage Tom Cat at this time. We were all like family back then. Included are early SST45, Mod-C, and Sport C. There may be some C-Production shots here too.

This set of pictures were taken in Indio, CA in 1989, just before I moved to Texas.

1. Mod-C #210, Jason Campbell
    Note the big exhaust holes in that 3cyl Yamaha. This 30hp motor most likely had 50hp carbs and special pistons to fit a bored-out 35ci, as well as a hand-made dry tuner. Lots of activity over at Sport C #22 pits --- is this the same #22 team from the Parker 300 we have today?

2. #201 was Rick Hoffman's "Gran Prix Boats" factory SST45 ride. Beside him is Gary Dostelek's Mod-C #85. Gary always brought his banjo to the races and entertained while we waited for our heats. That's Jason Campbell with no shirt on, just to drive the girls mad.

3. This is John Beck from Ft. Mohave, AZ in his Mod-C Gran Prix. We only lived 45 miles apart, so I would "tag along" following his team to the races sometimes. (I so hated driving alone). We also tested together quite a bit. You can see part of his gear case and skeg -- these were also custom made. Rick Hoffman made most of them in region 12.
    John got in a tangle with an SST 45 in Havasu one year (he spunout while in the lead and was speared by Johnny Travis' wood boat pickle fork). This was before breakaway pickles. It broke his leg badly at the top of the femur. It took him more than a year to get healthy again, and afterwards began racing Dwarf Cars. (He also married his phys. therapist- that wedding was fun!)

4. This is Ed Hubler (sp). Ed ran C Production. You could always count on a joke from Ed. He was tons of fun.
    Ed is standing next to Jimmy Johnson's Mod-C. Jimmy, who worked for Ed Lane/Merit Marine at this time, built many of the Mod-C motors and was just flat unbeatable.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Ron Hill; 03-12-2018 at 09:03 PM.

Thread Information