Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 50hp Yamaha or Tohatsu

Post Thanks / Like

Default 50hp Yamaha or Tohatsu

Would anyone like to share any thoughts or advice on either Yamaha or Tohatsu stock race motor also props to suit

Post Thanks / Like

Default 50hp Stock Tohatsu or Yam

I recently raced in a class here in Australia called 800cc open hull class and having used both these motors I found the top end on both were about the same but had more low down grunt with the Tohatsu. I used an open face cleaver with low rake and 10 1/2"x21" pitch. This went quite well but I naw race the 25hp class (better budget)
    Hope this helps
    Damien

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

the Hotsu has split side tranfurs, the crank press is weak.
    the yamaha you can snip the revlimiter and go.

70hp carbs wake them up

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
    The best carb is between 70 CES and 50 size, the CES carb seems to be to big. The crank on the TOHATSU used to be weak the present model is improved. Improve the reeds, both engines have to small reed cages, only switching to Boyeseens wont do much good you have to open them up and put in different reeds, Yamaha has restricted exhaustpipe which is not the case with TOHATSU. It is easiet ot get ponies from the YAMAHA but The TOHATSU will give more punch and takes more of your time. I have tuned YAMAHA 50s for 20 years and Tohatsu 50s for 3 year.
    My choice is TOHATSU

Below is one YAMAHA i tuned

http://gumboracingteam.com/grt/index...ffs=10&show=34

that is good news! What have you found to be a needed improvement area with the Tohatsu 50?
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    that is good news! What have you found to be a needed improvement area with the Tohatsu 50?
    Don't get too excited Daren, I bet it's gonna be quite a few years before they let us mod them out in our catagory. We'd eat the old 44mod merc's alive!
    Jeff Yungen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeff55vDSH View Post
    Don't get too excited Daren, I bet it's gonna be quite a few years before they let us mod them out in our catagory. We'd eat the old 44mod merc's alive!
    hell, they tried to eliminate the stock Tohatsu in Dmod at the meeting!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mod Tohatsu

A Mod Tohatsu will definitely eat up a Mod 44. We run a Mod Yamaha in super E and they are definitely faster than a Merc 44. They are very similar engines.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kampenracing View Post
    A Mod Tohatsu will definitely eat up a Mod 44. We run a Mod Yamaha in super E and they are definitely faster than a Merc 44. They are very similar engines.

boy, if APBA really allowed the Tohatsu to be modified (chambers, porting, carbs, crank work, etc), I believe it would be an OMC 3cyl (APBA FE) killer too!
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Post Thanks / Like

Default Yep Your Right Daren!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mercguy View Post
    boy, if APBA really allowed the Tohatsu to be modified (chambers, porting, carbs, crank work, etc), I believe it would be an OMC 3cyl (APBA FE) killer too!
    Yes you are absolutely RIGHT!!! A modded yamy, Tohatsu or Suzuki would smoke a merc 4 banger and a 3 cylinder OMC hands down. I/ve got a powerhead at home right now that I am doing up for a buddy and the things I am finding here are just nuts and I mean simple things...

Say no more, I gave my two cents to Jeff Williams on why I thought the motor should not be in the MOD class as a mod motor and I am a MOD commisioner... It has nothing to do with me or bass it simply is a faster motor with the right changes and should not be in that class IT SHOULD BE IN WITH THE FE'S

Regards,
    Dave Scott
    Ottawa, Canada
    Need Race Parts - http://stores.ebay.com/Aim-Outboard-Recyclers
    www.aimoutboards.com

20-CE DSH
    20-CE DMH

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by crankbearing View Post
    Yes you are absolutely RIGHT!!! A modded yamy, Tohatsu or Suzuki would smoke a merc 4 banger and a 3 cylinder OMC hands down. I/ve got a powerhead at home right now that I am doing up for a buddy and the things I am finding here are just nuts and I mean simple things...

Say no more, I gave my two cents to Jeff Williams on why I thought the motor should not be in the MOD class as a mod motor and I am a MOD commisioner... It has nothing to do with me or bass it simply is a faster motor with the right changes and should not be in that class IT SHOULD BE IN WITH THE FE'S

Regards,
    the "conditions" it is allowed to race in Dmod, is to keep the powerhead in the stock configuration as in Dstock, so it is not a class killer. Only changes are no height restriction and allowance of 4 blade props. It is pretty much the same way the Yamato C motor was allowed in Cmod........less expansion chambers. I suspect "eventually" it will end up in the FE category.........then allowed to be "moded out".........

PS: on certain courses, a GOOD 44XS will beat a Dmod 44...........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information