Thread: An Amazing Story

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason I don't have hardly any race results, qualifying heat rosters, notes or much of anything in my folder for 1977. Debbie and I had gotten married in April and went to race in Berlin on our honeymoon. After we got back we moved to Denton, Texas north of Dallas where she got her Master's Degree in nutrition at Texas Women's university.

We only ran 6 races in 1977, including the one in Berlin. Our first race after Berlin was the Western Divisionals at Marine Creek lake near Fort Worth. The "D" was really running good, but I flipped the first heat.

I had the start nailed. I had begun starting on the inside after I rode with Charlie Bailey in F runabout at Alexandria a few years earlier. This time though I found myself in a good spot on the outside with a long run to the clock. Most of the pack was a little early but I was aired out on the far outside. Tom Berry was a little ahead of me to the left and swinging wide. He and I were the only ones back deep and he thought he was the only one back there. He never looked over his right shoulder. I thought for sure he had seen me go back up in there, but it became apparent he figured that he was on the far outside. I was already too committed at the speed I was traveling and couldn't have bent it to the left to keep from hitting him without crashing. I kept hoping he would straighten out, but he kept sliding right. It didn't make sense to me that he was still trying to kill time off the clock, but that's the only reason why I figured he kept drifing out.

I was gingerly trying to go right without flipping. All of this was just a few seconds, but my mind was really racing along. I could see an immenant collision and Tom was totally clueless it was coming. My left sponson went over his right sponson and all it did was push my turning fin up. I got back on the throttle and headed to the start. I could not feel the boat handling funny so I just tried to push the fin down with my left hand. No go. So I kept to the outside to see how it would turn.

I got to the turn with the pack and eased around. SHADOWFAX turned just fine, only it was sliding a little bit sideways. When I got straight I nailed it and caught up to leader Steve Jones on the back straight. He pushed me to the outside and I went way wide, sliding. But, I was beginning to get the hang of it. Steve didn't know what was going on, but he found out I was not trying to duck under him so he kept going wider and wider. I was faster than Steve, but he had me hung out so far on his hip, that I couldn't get around and he continued to be ahead on the first half of the course.

On the far turn lap three, Steve drifted way wide and by now I was learning how to handle SHADWOFAX through the turns. Had we been closely chased by someone else, I would have kept clear, but with just the two of us, I kept pressing to get around. When Steve went so wide on this turn, I thought I could do the same thing I did with Dub Parker at Alexandria in 1973. I started to cross under Steve and cut close to the exit pin.

I slid under past his roostertail just fine, but when the transom hit his wake, it was too far around for normal racing and the wake lifted the rear out of the water which was all that was biting to help me turn. The boat just swapped ends and I found myself going backwards all of a sudden. It swapped so fast that the force threw me over the cowling and I was just hanging on. I don't know exactly how far it was but it seemed like it lasted a long time. Then when the boat slowed down to about 30, the transom caught and flipped over backwards. I caught the bowhandle across my right thigh as I entered the water. It was a stupid move, but I was just thinking about a win.

I guess it was Debbie that took this pic, probably on lap two.

Post Thanks / Like

I got logged out and it wouldn't let me post the pic on the previous post, so here it is. You can see the fin up and water coming off the right rear through the turn. I had posted this incident in the past, but I didn't find this picture until today and I just thought I would retell it in chronological order in the story of the D motor. Hope it's not too much rehash.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a slight digression away from the story...

....but what's another one gonna hurt. I remembered this when thinking about Debbie going to school at TWU and have to tell it.

Southwest Airlines had started up not long before and we could fly roundtrip from Dallas to Corpus for only $40.00. We weren't able to do much testing with me 8 hours away, so sometimes we fly home for the weekend to test. One weekend prior to one of the upcoming races I flew in without Debbie. She had a lab assignment over the weekend.

One six week period, TWU was engaged in a "Nitrogen Balance Study" grant. It had to do with tests on the human body and nutrition, etc. while eating products made from cotton seed meal. Cotton seed had some nutritious components including protein, and scientists are always looking for ways to feed the world with byproducts. There were 15 or 20 paid volunteers, mostly students I think. They had to eat stuff made out of cotton seed all three meals and nothing else (maybe some veggies or so--can't remember) There were hamburger type patties made of it. Bread, muffins, cookies, doughnuts... all kinds of things. I think there may have even been something like a milkshake made from the stuff.

Once a week, these volunteers had to bring a stool of their feces in to be analyzed for the "Nitrogen Balance Study". They would take each person's stool individually and put it in a blender to homogonize it before they ran the tests. When I went home to test, Debbie had to stay for this lab. Now, when Debbie and I were first married, she was very quiet. She was like a little doe in the forest. So one of our friends saw me at my Dad's house and asked "Where's Debbie?" "She's up at TWU stirring up a bunch of S#*T" was my truthful response . That persons eyes bugged out, jaw dropped and said "Debbie?"

Post Thanks / Like

June 18 and 19, 1977 were the Eastern Divisionals at Springfield, Illinois. The course was very short. Only 3/4 of a mile. We left SHADOWFAX at home and brought QUIEN SABE, and our new B Aerowing QUE PASA. After winning the nationals in 76, we sold our A stuff and never ran that class again.

We had been having fuel problems and throughout the years we would switch from the Konig check valve/crankcase pressure system to electric fuel pumps then back again. We were once again playing around with electric fuel pumps. They always worked great for awhile, then for some reason suddenly turn erractic. I don't remember exactly what the problem was, but it was fuel pump related and none of our stuff ran good. We scratched 725 hydro.

Tim Butts had the brand new Aerowing V-8 he built for Joe Michelini and his D Konig was new and tweaked by Ron Anderson. This was the race just prior the the upcoming UIM OD World Championships in Dayton the following month. Dan Kirts wanted to know why Tim was entered in 725 hydro (or was it back to 700 again?--have to check). Dan told Tim he was an A-B driver.

Dan won the first heat chased by Tim all the way. After he came into the pits, my Dad met Tim with the prop we would have run. He told Tim he could go faster with it. Tim looked at my Dad and said, "Baldy....uh...it's not the prop." A slight pause. "I've just got to squeeze that throttle harder". Then Tim proceeded to get a good start and get the win with Dan chasing him this time. Tim was lapping the course in 39 seconds. After the race was done and Tim was just standing there Tim Chance announced over the loudspeaker, "Tim....you can take your hands out of your pockets now. You won on time." The stage was now set for the upcoming showdown in Dayton primarily between Tim, Dan and Jerry Kirts, Rex Hall and myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Next up....

...Dayton Hydroglobe 77. July 15, 16, and 17. It was the UIM OD World Championships and we were billed along with the Unlimiteds. It was just us and them. We had four heats to run, and the Unlimiteds had their heat series leading up to the final heat.

It was an all star team of officials. The race chairman was John O'Hara. Jack Waite was referee and Bill Hertz alternate. Chief Scorer was Jo Ann Ellis and Harry Pasturczak was inspector. Gene Whipp was in charge of publicity and Tom Bates was a good whip cracker to see everything we needed was there including a podium and flag poles for all the countries represented.

We were going to run SHADOWFAX which we felt would be a better boat for the 1 1/4 mile course on Eastwood Lake. We had QUIEN SABE renumbered for the late Austrian Erwin Zimmerman. That was the boat we won with in 76.

We had a great time at Dayton. We got there early enough to check out the Wright Brothers air museum. That's one of the things my Dad insisted on. There was a supersonic bomber Valkyrie outside. Only two were built I believe and the other one had crashed. I think there was a Gee Bee there too. It's the airplane equivalent of Tim Chance running a D konig on a 10-8 Sid. Then there was the huge 6 engine bomber that carried nuclear bombs. I think the bomb bay held 5.

David_L6

More great pictures!

I think I remember the renumbered boat. That one and the one that Kirts ran the 2 powerhead motor on confused me when I saw them. I thought I knew the boats but the drivers weren't the same. Ya'll shouldn't pull tricks like that on kids.

Love that shot of the - then Pride of Pay 'n Pack - soon to be Miss Madison. Ron Snyder drove the heck out of that boat when it was the Miss Madison. He ran it out of nitrous in the final one time trying to stay ahead of the Budweiser boat. I guess he figured if nitrous works so well for acceleration it should work well for top speed too - if the motor doesn't blow up. (Actually, he was probably thinking the same thing Ron Hill was when the owner told him to be easy on the lower unit. Screw the lower unit (motor) - I'm winning the race! )

Post Thanks / Like

Default Truth Was..

Actaully, David, Harry Bartolomei just told me to be easy on his Konig lower unit, with his 75-H on it, until the RPM's came up....But I did jump on the throttle pretty hard getting (Jerry) Waldman off the corner at DePue....In fact, I passed his Quincy Loop 44 so fast, he thought his mag belt broke....

Wayne...interesting what you said about carbs...My dad and Harry ran two fuel pumps and two regulators, and the way they plumbed them, if either one broke the other still would keep the engine running...One thing we found, that when you turned the fuel pumps on, the regulators we used would "POP UP" and stick shut...sometimes...So, everytime, we had a little "RITUAL"...Turn the fuel pumps on, push down the regulator tops a time or two, to make sure they weren't stuck...

Tickle the float needles, a little, make sure they weren't stuck, either....New spark plugs every heat.....be damned how good they looked....Lift the boat, turn the ignition switch on, I'd give her one pull and my C and D Konigs always started on the first pull...

Post Thanks / Like

We had lots of multimedia coverage for the event. Half the field were current or former UIM World Champions---some of them with several titles. At least one won a World Championship a couple of years later.

Post Thanks / Like

Default ACM40ff Marine Spark Plugs

Dean, I got your plugs. Many thanks. I will be proud to have something from the Dean Wilson family as part of the display in my miniature boat racing museum. I had a job up two days after I got the plugs that was only 30 or 40 miles from Joe's auto parts store. I decided to take them to Joe's for him to hold while I took a photo of them. After all, what better than to use my best friend and former pit man who has been in the parts business all his life. Unfortunately, I still have problems with accidentally punching a wrong button then not knowing how to get back to normal. Anyway, I could not get this to focus up close, or even at this distance.

ADD: On the way to Joe's store, I was kindof lost with his directions. My cell phone quit and my map had to be looked at on 3 separate pages because where I was going stopped and started with only an inch or two travel on each page. I was about to run out of gas, and no stations in sight. So when I passed a fine looking tunnel boat with Custom something painted on the sign, I didn't stop. Joe told me it was the Schubert's. Was a fine looking rig.

One More ADD: I've been going to Joe's shop at the same location since 1968.
    I asked him how long it has been there. That is a sore subject with Joe. Him and his dad Roland opened Stafford Auto Supply in 1965. They were moving in during the weekend of the NOA World Championships at Alexandria. That was the ONLY Pro race at Alexandria that Joe has ever missed.

One final ADD. After I took the pics of Joe holding the sparkplugs, his memory kicked into gear and he took about 3 steps back and pulled two packs of ACM40FFG plugs off a parts shelf. He forgot he had 23 brand new ones in stock. The difference between the M40FF and M40FFG is that the first has an extended tip and the other is a recessed pin type electrode.

Post Thanks / Like

Wayne

What’s POP doing with that blackboard. Must be teaching a class on driving..
    Is that straight line a short cut to the finish?? Ha...
    Stan

Thread Information