Thread: An Amazing Story

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jimbo and Me...

My Lady Friend was introduced to Jimbo this last weekend... She had many things to say, but one comment she said was so true...She said, you (Ron) and Jimbo have the same looking arms....Meaning we raced boats for a thousand years and our skin looks it....

Yea, who ever heard of sun screen??? My mom used Sea and Ski, but she never tanned, but she also never burned...

Hat??? I still don't wear them, my head is too big, and a hat just looks really bad on me....

Say "Hello" to Tim for me...Tell him to design me an Aero Wing Kit boat for beginners that would take a 25 HP stock lower unit, handle steer...well, maybe not handle steer....made from Home Depot wood.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Okay...

....but the little blue rowboat I made for the kids from Home Depot wood rotted.

What if

1. I can see your point on the Bill France scenario, but I always favored the Pro division for its purist form. The least amount on restrictions can lead to innovative ideas. Of course it leads to increasing speeds and dangers, but that is racing. I think if the US Title Series had started in the early to mid 70's there would be more alky racers today, and maybe kept some of the race courses we lost.

2. Again, for the Pro division I would hate to restrict boats other than differentiate between hydros and runabouts. It would stifle the imagination of builders like Tim Butts. There was at one time a rule in the PRO division that outlawed wings on a hydro, while competely ignoring the fact that the deck WAS A WING creating lift. Tim's designs made boats easier to handle through the turns and therefore safer. But, since they were easier to handle through the turns, and more stable at higher speeds, the drivers just raised the bar on running on the edge. I don't know how you could make rules for some of the things that go on.

3. I am very sorry that the expense of capsules has all but wiped out 500 and 700 hydro except for a few drivers and few circuits. I guess if I was still racing and on the commission, I would have had to go along with it. The speeds have gone up so much that more needed to be done to protect the drivers. I remember the night Bill Seebold called my Dad from either Parker or Havasu and told him about Billy's first crash in a capsule. He went on and on about how easy that crash was. He was sold on it. I forget the year.

As far as weights go, I don't buy it for Pro racing. In Stock or Mod, I can see it being more critical. But, you are of the caliber of driver that you would win even being way over the other drivers. Weighing really slowed down the racing schedule, and was sometimes dangerous. If I didn't have my helmet on one year in Lakeland, I would have probably gotten a fractured skull when the S hooks gave up and it crashed down upon me. One of the arguments I used on the racing commission to eliminate weights was a list of all the drivers that were consistently winning and they were all way over the minimums. You were one of those guys Ron.

Sometimes I wonder what if I had listened to Bob Hering and Billy Seebold and went to OPC. If my Dad and his partner hadn't sold their OMC dealership in 1972 we might have. Only ran in one OPC race and we finished second in a four hour marathon with a Merc 110 and Speedmaster on a 17' Mustang built by Pete DeLackner. But I couldn't break away from the sounds and smells of Alky racing. And the fresh air from a D hydro runnin over 100.

Post Thanks / Like

There is another what if I see with 500 and 700 hydros

The capsule restriction was imposed by the insurance company due to speed. If the boats had been changed in some other way that reduced speed instead of reducing the number of racers 500 and 700 could still be as popular as they once were. The capsules have the unintended consequence of reducing speed in 500 anyway.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I had no idea that's what happened Sam. I thought it was a decision by the Pro Commission after the death of Jerry Drake. Thanks for the insight. BTW, was there a specific speed that triggered it? What about the current speeds of 350 hydros?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 350 Hydros? What About 350 Runabout???

Seems to me California lost three 350 drivers from "Blow Overs"...but can only name two...Ray Hoot and Shawn and Spencer Love's dad...Both were testing when they got hurt...

Why not a NASCAR page.... Big courses, Prop Shaft 2" below the bottom (Works like a carb restrictor)... Under 3/4 mile 1 inch below the bottom...

I believe that the 1 3/8 transom height has made "A" Stock runabout and hydro safer....but at speeds of 57-58 now in "A" Hydro, I would not consider this a "SAFE" Class...

The next class to have major injuries will be Super E....or what ever they call the class that runs the three cyclinder OMC.....Those suckers are going over 100 laying down...

I know we say it is racing, but we could require reinforced cockpits in both hydros and runabouts, we could require a side height in runabouts. We could have breakaway noses and pickleforks....

Do restricted "C" Runabouts have less accidents in 25 SS Runabout than they do is "C" Runabout??? Personally, I'd rather run a lower transom height, than lower power, but I like the restricted concept as it has worked well with J, AXS, and A in Stock...

My HOME DEPOT ONE DESIGN would have the concept of new boats every year.. Build it for a SPECIAL RACE...play with it after the race...next year build a new one...

The Solar Boat Racers have to buy a bare hull each year as part of their entry...Maybe sell a simple "KIT BOAT" laser cut by like MJR Boats... with theyear laser cut in them...

How about, for DePue 2007, we have GPS Trials for guys that ain't still racing...like "Fly Bys'???? Or will you not want to fire that "D" Konig once you get her rebuilt???? I do think we should have a boat show there....

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Depue 2007

Quote Originally Posted by RonHill
    Seems to me California lost three 350 drivers from "Blow Overs"...but can only name two...Ray Hoot and Shawn and Spencer Love's dad...Both were testing when they got hurt...

Why not a NASCAR page.... Big courses, Prop Shaft 2" below the bottom (Works like a carb restrictor)... Under 3/4 mile 1 inch below the bottom...

I believe that the 1 3/8 transom height has made "A" Stock runabout and hydro safer....but at speeds of 57-58 now in "A" Hydro, I would not consider this a "SAFE" Class...

The next class to have major injuries will be Super E....or what ever they call the class that runs the three cyclinder OMC.....Those suckers are going over 100 laying down...

Ron,

I seriously thought about having a boat show with some of the equipment that we drove. The problem is this, if any of our group from the 50's through the 80's had anything, how would they get it to depue? The other issue is several of our group are still racing, and if they had stuff to bring, their trailers are already maxed. Good thought, and shouldn't be ignored.
    I know we say it is racing, but we could require reinforced cockpits in both hydros and runabouts, we could require a side height in runabouts. We could have breakaway noses and pickleforks....

Do restricted "C" Runabouts have less accidents in 25 SS Runabout than they do is "C" Runabout??? Personally, I'd rather run a lower transom height, than lower power, but I like the restricted concept as it has worked well with J, AXS, and A in Stock...

My HOME DEPOT ONE DESIGN would have the concept of new boats every year.. Build it for a SPECIAL RACE...play with it after the race...next year build a new one...

The Solar Boat Racers have to buy a bare hull each year as part of their entry...Maybe sell a simple "KIT BOAT" laser cut by like MJR Boats... with theyear laser cut in them...

How about, for DePue 2007, we have GPS Trials for guys that ain't still racing...like "Fly Bys'???? Or will you not want to fire that "D" Konig once you get her rebuilt???? I do think we should have a boat show there....
    Ron,

Actually gave some thought about having a boat show, but didn't see how we could get appropriate equipment there. The featured group from the 50's through the 80's might have equipment, but how would they get it there. The second issue is that there are several from the featured group that are still racing but might have the appropriate equipment. Their current trailer is already maxed, so again, how to get the equipment to Depue. Godd idea though & shouldn't be ignored.

Post Thanks / Like

Ron,

I agree with you on trying to make boats and boat racing as safe as possible. This is one reason why I bought a new MJR CSH this summer. The cockpit sides are made of 1/2 foam with carbon fiber as the inside laminate and kevlar as the outside laminate. The windshield is made entirely of kevlar and the floor board is made of 1/4 foam with cabon fiber as the top laminate and kevlar as the underlaminate. Not to mention that the sides are 22" tall at the dash and 17-1/2" tall at the transom. This allows me to smack my hip against the cockpits sides through the turns and help keep me in the boat. My pickle forks are rounded over as well so that if I were to impact another boat, I would hopefully bounce off the boat rather than pierce the boat. Also, Marc's designs, at least the two boats I've owned, have always handled the rough water extremely well. I only fell out of my CSH one time, the first boat I owned, and it was my own fault, as well as a little help from a competitor.

I know from talking with Marc this summer that he is always trying to design boats so they are safer, as well as faster and lighter but safety is the first thought when designing. I really applaud Marc for that. There are plenty of boat builders builder faster and lighter boats but not much thought, at least it doesn't seem that way to me, is going into safety concerns.

All of outboard racing in the U.S. could learn a few things from the Europeans when it comes to safety. Look at the safety features the U.I.M. requires on their outboard hulls.

As far as runabouts go, I have been building my CSR's with tall sides for a few years now. I haven't gotten into using newer materials yet, but I will. The next CSR I build will not have a pointy nose and will have new materials used for cockpit sides. I do use the side fin, which I know a lot of guys feel is unsafe, but in my experience, it is only unsafe if it is not put on the boat properly. If mounted to the boat properly, the boat will drive over the rough water just fine and will not make the boat do anything silly or dangerous.

Let's just hope that there are always boat racing enthusiasts, builders, racers, etc... who are always thinking safety first because they will help direct the sport in the right direction. I applaud all those who have helped the sport out and have directed the sport in the right direction. I know its not easy to do and a lot of time and effort goes into it. So, I say thank you!
    Joe Silvestri
    CSH/500MH

My avatar picture is complements of Fred Eckert. 1997 Hinton, WV Nationals Thundermug 20-H Runabout.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    I had no idea that's what happened Sam. I thought it was a decision by the Pro Commission after the death of Jerry Drake. Thanks for the insight. BTW, was there a specific speed that triggered it? What about the current speeds of 350 hydros?
    The speed that is considered necessary for capsules is when the class consistantly runs 100+ in competition. Current 350's run close to that, but not with any proven consistancy. FEH is running very fast, but they are not yet running over 100 in competition. If there are any more motor power breakthroughs or a magic boat or prop - FEH will see 100.

I agree with Ron, I'd rather see FEH slowed down and safer boats than see anyone getting hurt.

Prop depth could make things really weird: imagine a 500cc hydro class that topped out a little slower than 350's but had faster lap times and was easier and safer to drive than other alky classes
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team
    Lakeland 1974.

The wind and cold came down with Canadians Vice Pede, Hank Engles and Steve Allision to Lake Hollingsworth and threatened another blowout like the first round in 1973. Unlike the previous year, it calmed down enough to get all but D stock hydro and D racing runabout in.

Cool!! I forgot about that! Got any pics?

Henk Engels boat # 97
    Vic Pede boat #88
    Steve Allison boat #?? (Right on the tip of my tongue!!) was it 47??

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I cannot help, but jump in here. I agree that the 500's, 700's and 1100's could have been slowed down by other means than capsules. The prop depth rule would have been sensible, but the commission favored capsules and maintaining much of the speed. The capsules do put on great races, but just have not been embraced in the same numbers as the open cockpit days.

In the USTS, we tend to run 3/4 mile and 1 mile courses. This has dropped the number of accidents considerably. I believe that the most danger in open outboard racing exists during milling and going into the first turn. Aftet that, the action tends to settle-down (but not always).

Thread Information