Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Early factory ignition for Quincy-Loop 4-cyl

Post Thanks / Like

Default Early factory ignition for Quincy-Loop 4-cyl

Just dug this out of a dusty pile. If you bought a new C or D flathead in 1966, and didn't want to use a F-M or Merc magneto, Quincy would sell you a battery-and-points setup. You got a machined casting that plugged into the same hole as the magneto would have. The casting held bearings and a spindle which was driven by the normal gilmer belt on top. Underneath were four sets of Phelon points, just like the points in a 20H. Kind of a funny, homemade-looking thing for a factory piece, but it would work after a fashion. In 1968, I went to the NOA Nationals in Forest Lake, MN, and there must have been 250 new quincy flatheads in A/B/C/D hydro and runabout, and 90% of them were "popping corn," i.e., had an intermittant ignition miss. ****ed annoying, listening to all of those popping loopers for three days!!
    Within a year or so the 4-cylinder owners had switched to the far better Mercury electronic ignition (and quit popping!), and tossed out these old battery-and-points units. It may be that there aren't many left, so if you are a collector who likes these obscure parts, e-mail me at www.smittythewelder@yahoo.com

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say if you are interested in this item, make an offer, I have no idea what it's worth.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang! I jumped the gun with this ad (I never could make a decent start). I thought I had a complete ignition, but after pawing through dusty boxes all I have is the distributor/points-plate I described above. I am going on a 30-35 year old memory of picking up a bunch of odd parts, incl. an ignition I never planned to use.

Maybe the old-timers will refresh me on what components came with this ignition. I vaguely recollect four individual coils clamped to the side of the block with a cast aluminum bracket. Is that right? Where did the coils come from?

Post Thanks / Like

Item has been sold.

Thread Information