Thread: Jackie Wilson..

Burgess/Evinrude F1 V8 Lars Strom's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie wilson View Post
    Johnno, It's easy to see you are an engineer and not a PR man -cause the draught coming out of your rectum could only be the result of a misguided and frustrated boffin with a bad dose of indigestion and collywobbles wanting to vent his ire on anyone who happens to be in the vicinity. Never heard such utter tripe and nonsense in the whole of my long being.!!!!!!!!!!
    When ole Carl started to promote his product via the racepond--------wasn't long before the sales went up a tad and the other side wanted to know what was going on, and joined in the fun. Then the party started. the factory wars were great-----but you made a coupla mistakes-------------there should have been a capacity limit---which never came------and then there was the WANKEL----a very expensive disaster-------open cheque book----millions spent and 4 working models and a 2 spares and shelved after -----what 2----3 years. Don't kid me it was a stop gap effort---------that's bollocks and you know it. Great for the boffins but still an abject failure. The V6 was a good little runner but was never the equal of the Merc-------so we come to the waste of space lump of a motor the mighty V8---- Killed and maimed more pilots than any other engine in the history of the sport and was useless as an outboard to the industry due to its weight and awesome power. No manufacturer had a boat in production that could take it------and there weren't too many takers. Died a natural---as was fitting . Do believe the V6 merc is going strong but i still think they will shoot themselves in the foot if they continue the horse power race.

The OMC V8 series lasted 3 years . the V6 Mercury is still alive and well and still running-------------what more can i tell you?????????
    Hi Jackie,

Long time no see..last time in Key West I think..!!

I have been reading at S&F and now here at BRF..
    but are not getting in to all this stuff...

We all lost lots of good friends to outboard racing over the years..from small 35 hp outboard classes to unlimited OZ class...
    Please..be careful here.

BTW..the first OMC V-8 race was early 1981..Brodenbach, Germany
    and the last in Europe late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain..
    Then the V-8 racing went on in the USA for 3-4 more years..

I have been an OMC racer and dealer over many, many years and my memories and success with the Evinrude brand is extremely good..

Have fun and I meet Mark at the Miami Boat Show this year.

Regards

Lasse
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

My racing web site SVERA.se....http://svera.se/blogg/paris-6-hours/

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Strom View Post
    Hi Jackie,

Long time no see..last time in Key West I think..!!

I have been reading at S&F and now here at BRF..
    but are not getting in to all this stuff...

We all lost lots of good friends to outboard racing over the years..from small 35 hp outboard classes to unlimited OZ class...
    Please..be careful here.

BTW..the first OMC V-8 race was early 1981..Brodenbach, Germany
    and the last in Europe late 1985 in Sevilla, Spain..
    Then the V-8 racing went on in the USA for 3-4 more years..

I have been an OMC racer and dealer over many, many years and my memories and success with the Evinrude brand is extremely good..

Have fun and I meet Mark at the Miami Boat Show this year.

Regards

Lasse
    Hiya Lasse, great to hear from you-------Love the polite way you have of telling me to SHUT UP. You're right of course-------my mouth was always running away with me. I have no particular love for Mercury---although they did give me a very good living for over 20 years.
    OMC treated Mark very badly after he nearly lost his foot in Casale Monferrato and i have never forgiven them for that.
    I have to apologise to a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN--. He is a lovely man and is smitten with the rotary bug. What if he had been working at Fon-Du-Lac instead of Sheboygon or wherever it was .
    Mark as usual has his ear plugged into the i phone---but he does look smart--i never could look like that.
    The last time we met was Key West about 5/6 years ago. I turn 80 this time round --but of course am still the handsome --debonair ---quiet ----modest of all human beings.
    That's the last word i shall utter on the subject of Factories and their devious dealings.
    Still have a huge number of "colonial" friends-----so i didn't do it all wrong. Jackie.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember your GMC Motorhome in Paris...1974 (maybe 1975)

..Jackie Wilson....Racing for fun....was the big text on the side of the
    brand new "air ride"..motorhome.

Very good memories..Paris 6 Hours was my favorite race..
    Won the OE class 3 times.
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Check my own racing history at BRF...http://www.boatracingfacts.com/forum...ead.php?t=6727

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember your GMC Motorhome in Paris...1974 (maybe 1975)

..Jackie Wilson....Racing for fun....was the big text on the side of the
    brand new "air ride"..motorhome.

Very good memories..Paris 6 Hours was my favorite race..
    Won the OE class 3 times.
    Do you know i bought that from Barry Sheene and became good friends with him, i even visited him in Surfers paradise down under.
    Paid him £7, 000 for that, My mechanic Chas Shooter lent me the money so we could got to Amsterdam in style.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

"a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN-" Jackie: by definition winding is a rotary function. I must therefor conclude you have some rotary in you. SEE, I knew you couldn't be all bad. Besides when the factory wars were going strong, Old Karl was not part of mercury and if fact was an Evinrude dealer in Fondulac. Also if you recall the first time the V-6's met, OMC came out on top. Paris 1974.

Post Thanks / Like

Hiya Lasse, great to hear from you-------Love the polite way you have of telling me to SHUT UP. You're right of course-------my mouth was always running away with me. I have no particular love for Mercury---although they did give me a very good living for over 20 years.
    OMC treated Mark very badly after he nearly lost his foot in Casale Monferrato and i have never forgiven them for that.
    I have to apologise to a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN--. He is a lovely man and is smitten with the rotary bug. What if he had been working at Fon-Du-Lac instead of Sheboygon or wherever it was .
    Mark as usual has his ear plugged into the i phone---but he does look smart--i never could look like that.
    The last time we met was Key West about 5/6 years ago. I turn 80 this time round --but of course am still the handsome --debonair ---quiet ----modest of all human beings.
    That's the last word i shall utter on the subject of Factories and their devious dealings.
    Still have a huge number of "colonial" friends-----so i didn't do it all wrong. Jackie.
    Yes I remember Mark crashing his Molinari/Evinrude F1 V-8 boat in a practice accident at Casale Monferrato,Italy 1983
    That was a stupid place for a race..flooded area and no place for spectators..
    (I think the Bocca family made the race possible to help out).
    Casale Monferrato was a replacement race for the first canceled F1-V8 race in Spain 1983...
    ...that one turned out to be a "offshore race" if you remember..
    Last edited by Lars Strom; 05-20-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know i bought that from Barry Sheene and became good friends with him, i even visited him in Surfers paradise down under.
    Paid him £7, 000 for that, My mechanic Chas Shooter lent me the money so we could got to Amsterdam in style.

Very interesting Jackie..I was trying hard to get AKAI Japan to give me the same sponsor deal for my Burgess/Evinrude CC.. Formula 3 boat..as Barry Sheene got for his bike..
    Well..not even close, but AKAI Sweden help me out pretty good..

I should have asked you for help..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Lars Strom

Life is good

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    "a very nice man who just loves to wind me up--ROTORY JOHN-" Jackie: by definition winding is a rotary function. I must therefor conclude you have some rotary in you. SEE, I knew you couldn't be all bad. Besides when the factory wars were going strong, Old Karl was not part of mercury and if fact was an Evinrude dealer in Fondulac. Also if you recall the first time the V-6's met, OMC came out on top. Paris 1974.
    SOOOO Johno, if winding is a rotary action, does that make a 2 stroke a rotary when you "WIND it up and anything with a crank goes round -but does that action make it a rotary ???? Your the boffin---so tell me !!!!!!!!!!
    If a mouse is born in a hen house it don't necessarily make it a chicken.
    When at any time did i say Carl WAS there during the factory wars ?????? He was a weeny bit more than an Evinrude dealer ,and you know it.
    You do have a bad dose of "Selective Memory Syndrome"-------------I was out of the scene in '74 so i couldn't possibly comment on the very rare occasions that a V6 OMC whacked a Merc. Here we go again !!!!!!!!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Very interesting Jackie..I was trying hard to get AKAI Japan to give me the same sponsor deal for my Burgess/Evinrude CC.. Formula 3 boat..as Barry Sheene got for his bike..
    Well..not even close, but AKAI Sweden help me out pretty good..

I should have asked you for help..
    Lasse, the only sponsorship i ever got was free spark plugs from Champion and 2 seasons petrol from Shell. The rest i got the M.B.E. for, [my bloody efforts]. Never did get the O.B.E. [ other buggers efforts ].

Paid Barry a very fair price for the GMC 6 wheel camper, 26' long with every conceivable comfort on board, as well as 100 MPH performance. Was always the flashiest camper on the circuit, and took the family and my mechanic with me everywhere. We really did race for the fun of it

Barry could talk the hind legs off a donkey and could always pull a good sponsor,after he left Suzuki he never was quite the man. The guy who looked after him was another great friend of mine Rex White ----Suzuki race team manager for a hell of a long time.

Gotta tell you Lasse ---You will always be best remembered as being unbeatable in the F3 class year after year and the battles with John Hill and Roger Jenkins and Tony Williams --------not for your time in the V8, Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rotary John View Post
    "Lord i wish i could keep quiet ---just for a while. "
    That will be the day they put dirt on your face.
    Sure as hell won't be till after i danced all over your box Johnno.

I'm seriously thinking of not posting this--------------but what the heck------you only get one crack at life and i just have not got it in me to let him get away with it .

To the rotary buff-----------born to be disappointed-----as were thousands before him who messed with the damned thing.

Thread Information