Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Joseph Stevens Sr's Stylecraft circa 1967ish

Post Thanks / Like

Default Joseph Stevens Sr's Stylecraft circa 1967ish

Recently found this pic...wondering if anyone can guess the year? Dad's (Joseph Stevens Sr's ) Stylecraft ...Dad was high point champ in this boat in mid 60s in W.C.O.A. a few times. I believe he was leading the Havasu race in the early going circa 64 when he clipped a trailer (arriving late at launch) at the start finish corner and lost at least one lower unit. We both raced Havasu the next two years....he continued racing till his tunnel blew over in practice at Havasu and the driver at the time was injured severly. After that he became an inspector for that race and maybe Parker...with Henry Wagner. I'm sure a few of you rememeber this boat...it was sweet! He started racing powercats...then fantasy's..after going airborn and destroying a few of those he settled in on the Stylecraft till the tunnel came then swiched to tunnels.
    Attached Images Attached Images

they say you only go around once, but I say if you go really really fast, you might just get around twice!

Post Thanks / Like

Notice how high the engines were....very stable boat even with the engines high......only the lower half of the props were in the water for reduced drag...the trick was to put a very agressive pitch on the prop ...and pray those lower water picks ups would pick up enough water....then you had to try not to overwind the engine when airborn...damn it was fun driving those old machines...muscle boats...the stacks purring...more like roaring...think he had the same set up on the Phantasy hydros...it was to much for them if you hit the wrong wave...the style craft was a sweet wide cat...precursor to the tunnel but didnt know it...Joe Jr

they say you only go around once, but I say if you go really really fast, you might just get around twice!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

1966...based on the cars in the photo.

Post Thanks / Like

Default stylecraft cat

I REMEMBER THIS CAT I HELP TO MAKE IT. JOE SR WAS A GREAT GUY. DO YOU KNOW IF THE BOAT IS STILL AROUND. I HAVE A STOCK STYLECRAFT CAR THAT I AM WORKING ON AND WAS LOOKING FOR ANY OF THE RACE BOATS THAT MIGHT STILL BE AROUND. DID YOU FIND ANY OTHER GOODIES IN THAT BARN? I WOULD LIKE TO GET SOME OF THE PHOTO OF JOE'S BOATS THANK YOU

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG ........what a package.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Hey Joe

Howdy Joe. I dont know which would be worth more , the boat or the Vette. I did like watching your Dad run back in the " good old days " I do hope that you have dug up more things to share with us old timers.
    Jack

Thread Information