Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Baretta Alky Engine

Post Thanks / Like

Default Baretta Alky Engine

I picked this powerhead up from Harry Bartolomei's widow this morning, and thought I would share it. I do not know much about a Baretta, maybe others can help out.

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Joe J; 11-28-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: spelling error

Post Thanks / Like

Baretta or Bossaglia?
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I want Info, too

I don't know anything about the engines except for what a guy told me in De Pue Last summer. He said the 30 CI, 500cc 4 cyl engine would pull 197 horses, which blew my mind. I forget his name, but he's the US dealer for the engines. He said he would send me some details on the combustion chamber concept. He probably forgot or thought my request was frivolous.

Ok, Mr. US Dealer please post some detailed info on hese engines. Thanks

Russ Hill

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default How about the picture for the other side?

With that kind of horsepower, what kind of revs would that engine be pulling?

How about a picture of the other side to de-mystify what induction looks like?

Post Thanks / Like

Poalo Boretta, Italy( spelling? I've confused myself now) brought that engine to Nottingham in 1984. I don't think he ran it, not sure if he even made any testing runs. I've got at least one pic, but am scannerless at the moment. Boretta was quite the competitor at Dayton '82 but was out of the chase in 1984. Teri was there wasn't she? Perhaps she has some pics in the vault.

On a side note. After the race weekend, we had dinner with Harry, Kate and Kate's parents at there newly remodled (1200AD or something like that) house. We also toured a church that was used by Cromwells men as a stable.

Don't be misled by engine salesmen that somehow don't have an entry in any races. Also, horsepower looks great on dyno sheets, but really now, how many sled engines have you seen out front at races?
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by epugh66 View Post
    Don't be misled by engine salesmen that somehow don't have an entry in any races. Also, horsepower looks great on dyno sheets, but really now, how many sled engines have you seen out front at races?
    It could have been Steve Litzell or Rex Hall. Steve and Rex both should be able to make that claim legitimately.

Post Thanks / Like

Sam,

I wasn't knocking either Rossi( Rex Hall ) or VRP ( Steve Litzel ) I know those engines are the real deal.

Back to the engine. The Boretta (sp) engine should be a 350cc. The induction was by Konig style rotary valve. I'm guessing the crank would be Konig and the cylinder spacing would be the same as Konig. The pistons were probably Mahle's out of a Konig.

What I'm saying is Paolo just cast his own crankcase with seperate cylinders. The engine that was at the 1984 350 WC had black crankcase and heads. It also used the big ignition coils, not the smaller ones of later years.
    Had I known 1984 was going to be my peak year, I would have tried harder

Post Thanks / Like

I knew you weren't knocking them, just suggesting that may have been who Russ was speaking to

The heads on this motor look a lot like Ceasre Bossaglia's Italian "Komet" racing outboard, that is why I suggested his involvement

Post Thanks / Like

Along this same line, Barry Wilson built a one-of-a-kind 500cc engine using a Konig Crank, rods, pistons and rotary valve. in the late '70s. He qualified it at the LaCrosse Nationals, but the finals were moved south because of the rough water. The motor is now on display in a museum in Iowa.

Stan Leavendusky, Sr. Also cast up his version of a Konig in the late 60's early 70's but then Dieter brought out the "Square Block" and Stan's motor was instantly obsolete and he dropped the project.

Thread Information