Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quincy Merc Deflectors etc. - All Sizes Pictures & Stories

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Quincy Merc Deflectors etc. - All Sizes Pictures & Stories

One thing you don't see too much of here are pictures and stories about engines like all the Quincy / Merc Alky Deflectors and engines like the Hubbel Wildcats and Lon Stevens engines etc. Where did all of them go and where are they now? In their day they were awsome too never mind trying to rope one over to start! Some of that would be nice to be seen here.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default i agree

hey roger h,

don't you have a quincy deflector that you restored?

also another engine i've never seen here or for sale on ebay or anywhere else is the quincy z engines. are there any out there?

frank

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Will have to post the Quincy / Merc D and F

I have a 4 pipe Quincy Merc 3rd port 40 cube D and the same for a 44 cube F that were both NOA registered engines that will get posted this spring after they are sprung out of storage. Thing is, there are every manner of 2, 4 and 6 cylinder engines that could sure fill up a thread like this and maybe where they lack the technology of the Flatheads and stuff that supersceded them there are few engines out there with compression like that people today could comprehend starting with a rope at 14 to 1 compression ratios! I took one to a show and shine vehicle show where I was threatened with a decking for bringing an engine that could not be started with a rope!! I showed them how, one cylinder at a time that really had them scratching their heads!!

Lets get those picts out!

Post Thanks / Like

I believe this is a Z. (left) Was on display at O.F. Memorial 2003
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Tomtall

Thumbs up DePue Looper

I recently was payed a visit by Jerry Oberlin II from Ga. He came up to Michigan over the 2007 Christmas holidays and was kind enough to share a pile of family photographs from the DePue races in the 1960 time period when his father raced. Upon scanning these pics I came across this photo of a looper being fired up. Thought I would post this one in the looper thread. Will be posting the rest of the DePue pics in its own dedicated thread after editing them.

Thanks Jerry for sharing these great pics for the rest of us to enjoy.

RogerH

Default Quincy Deflector C202 - Roger Hinsdale

I bought a lot of racing parts from Gary Inman. Gary ran a marina and raced mostly in Florida in the 60's to 1972. This "C" Deflector (C-202) was a rusted hulk with not much more than the block and stacks. I didn't even know I had my first Quincy till I started taking it apart. I'm proud to say that this motor is alive and well again. The first shot is the block sitting on the 30H LU. All his stuff was stored outside since 1972!!! Hope you enjoy the pictures. Does anyone remember Gary Inman or have any info about C-202?
    Regards,
    Roger

Tomtall

Default Sweet

Rog - You could turn a turd into a diamond. Nice job. What make is the Hydro?

RogerH

Default Quincy Deflector on Leigh Furnal Hydro

Tom,
    You have the turd part right. I couldn't believe the muck that those engine parts had in them. The mud daubbers were the worst, but I found about everything else in there too. Note how bad the gearcase is pitted. I had to use JB-weld to bring back the contour. Haven't painted the LU stuff yet. I'm in the process of getting all of the LU's powder coated right now. I was just pleased that the block cleaned up so it could be saved.
    The hydro is a Leigh Furnal "D" Flyer. I believe this was John Stone's winning outfit, but haven't been able to verify that. Bought it from Chris Mizner, who is still racing C & Cmod in NY. Watched Chris run at Whitney Point last Fall.
    This all started with a $300 purchase from Gary Inman with the stuff in the attached picture. Was able to get the "C" Deflector (with "D" LU) and a 30H together from this mess. He was so surprised to see thos motors together again. He had sold a Looper to someone in Chicago just before I found him.
    I really think the Quincy Deflector motors deserve more respect. They pushed a technology to its limit and dominated for quite a while. Actually, I feel they fostered the need for a newer approach (loopers) as much as the over seas competition did. These were "beasts" in their own right and have that legacy to prove it. Who in their right mind enjoys starting one of these???!!! Once started - who cares - they went like gang busters in their day.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by RogerH View Post
    Tom,
    You have the turd part right. I couldn't believe the muck that those engine parts had in them. The mud daubbers were the worst, but I found about everything else in there too. Note how bad the gearcase is pitted. I had to use JB-weld to bring back the contour. Haven't painted the LU stuff yet. I'm in the process of getting all of the LU's powder coated right now. I was just pleased that the block cleaned up so it could be saved.
    The hydro is a Leigh Furnal "D" Flyer. I believe this was John Stone's winning outfit, but haven't been able to verify that. Bought it from Chris Mizner, who is still racing C & Cmod in NY. Watched Chris run at Whitney Point last Fall.
    This all started with a $300 purchase from Gary Inman with the stuff in the attached picture. Was able to get the "C" Deflector (with "D" LU) and a 30H together from this mess. He was so surprised to see thos motors together again. He had sold a Looper to someone in Chicago just before I found him.
    I really think the Quincy Deflector motors deserve more respect. They pushed a technology to its limit and dominated for quite a while. Actually, I feel they fostered the need for a newer approach (loopers) as much as the over seas competition did. These were "beasts" in their own right and have that legacy to prove it. Who in their right mind enjoys starting one of these???!!! Once started - who cares - they went like gang busters in their day.

but for $300 you SCORED!!! Glad it all ended up in the right hands though Roger. You are doing a great job! By the way, I did have my CMerc megaphones coated last year, like you had done to yours........

PS: someday, when I have time (ya right) I want to buy and restore myself a Quincy also............looper or deflector.........

back out to the shop I go........
    Daren Goehring
    63-R
    DSH, 500ccmh, 750ccmh

Thread Information