Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Finish on 20H Conversion LU

RogerH

Default Finish on 20H Conversion LU

What was the finish from the factory on the 20H Conversion LU??? I've never seen a gold one. Have seen quite a few painted silver ones. Have seen an equal amount that are "natural" (as cast). The one I just got has "factory" ZO primer but not a hint of color anywhere. What's right?? Were they different if you bought just the kit vs buying a converted 20H from Mercury? Did they just sell them as kits?

I'd love to see a post with a correct 20H Conversion picture if you have one. Thanks

Roger

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I bought the "Conversion Kit" back in the early 60's and they were pained matt silver. It came with rewind brackets, throttle cable attachment, filler block, exhust elbow, copper 'O' rings, gaskets, toilet bowl, and 16:21 grears.

APBA did not have a rule for the filler block, so we fitted and potted with Devcon and hit a few local races. We caused a bit of a contoversy at the Divisionals at inspection. Anyway, APBA and Mercury (same people in those days) cleared up the rule.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure that 57 out of 60 that I've seen were natural aluminum. The other 3 had everything painted gold or black ... certainly not original
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is two just as they came out of the box in 1960 no paint just natural finish on all the cast parts. I think a few of the later kits came with the tower painted white for some reason but white was a big color with Mercury then. As was blck and white pictures back then.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Your Never To Old To Win

Post Thanks / Like

Default I Agree With George 100 Per Cent

AS I was going to bed last night I read this post. Seems the only kit to hit California in 1959 went on Ernie Dawe's 20-H. Ernie won his qualifer at the Seattle Nationals 1959, but didn't do well in the finals...I recall his kit having no paint..everthing was new aluminum casting...(The Hedlund's had no paint on their gearcases also, , and I thought they had to be GOLD, but was told them came with no paint and didn't have to be painted.....The next one I saw was for Monty Gibson's 20-H, that was 1960. It also had no paint...I think the silver paint has been used to cover the black exhaust down in the "TOILET TUBES" as we called them...

I vote was cast aluminum...as cast...no paint...

Ted May's "Toilet Bowl" was painted gold, but Ted painted everything gold and put gold glitter in the paint...homemade metal flake....

Post Thanks / Like

The painted gear foot rule has always been in place and is still in the Mod inspection manual as the 20H popper is a leagle AMOD motor. It doesnt state what color just that it has to be painted when on a 20-H.
    Your Never To Old To Win

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Purchased a 20 H conversion kit new some where in 1969-1971, can't really be shure of the year? It came painted white..Bob N-96
    Bob Rusnak

RogerH

Default 20H Conversion - Natural or Painted

Thanks for the input. I'm not surprised that a large number responded in support of the natural (as cast) finish. I can also believe that Mercury might have shipped some with paint (probably that "dirty" white) later in the run. That's what confused me, as my "bowl" most definitely has Merc's primer on it. I think I will be media blasting mine back to natural.

Interesting that the rules state the gear case has to be painted on the 20H.

Regards - Roger

Post Thanks / Like

The gear case has always been sold painted unless you bought an empty case

I am not surprised at this late date to find a Merc piece painted with the primer that Merc sold for bare aluminum. Painting top coat color paint on bare was just not thought of
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

RogerH

Default Painted gear case in APBA rules

Sam, I was aware that the gear cases were painted gold, but was surprised that the APBA rules would require them to be painted. A lot of people like to polish the case (and LU) for appearance enhancements. Is there an actual performance gain over a polished case vs a painted case? If someone shaved or altered a gear case they could always repaint it in an attempt to hide that change. Measuring would have to be done to distinguish G / NG cases, whether the case was painted or polished. So why require the paint? I'm assuming the the polishing is cosmetic in nature and not significantly changing the case dimensions.

Thread Information