Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FD-67 Just about done

RogerH

Default FD-67 Just about done

Couldn't wait for the finishing touches - wanted to share a few pictures of the "finished" product. Given that I got it as a rusted-cruddy hulk, I'm just happy to have it together again and in running condition. I replaced the small reed blocks with a new large port set and added a CD-distributor ignition from a Merc650. The best parts about doing the Looper and the Deflector motors are the knowledge I gained and the people I've met and heard about. Thanks for all the help along the way with these fantastic motors!!!
    Regards,
    Roger
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default lookin great!

hi roger,

that's a far cry from the mud bee santuary you started out with! can't wait to have you tell us what it sounds like. it's been fun figuring out what goes thru all those holes in the block. sam cullis's diagram helped.

i've got fc52 almost done. putting the lower unit together today. it polished up real nice. i'll give you a call this week about the ingnition. i want to use the tested you made for me.

take care,

frank

RogerH

Default Can You Hear Me Now?????

Had to post this, as it says it all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default oh yea

those gen 3's look sweet!!!!

frank

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pics......

That is sweet looking D. I had the same megaphones on the 44 Flathead I had and it really does sound different between the generations of exhaust. I am also impressed that this one (like others I have seen restored here) is cleaner than when they were delivered. Beautiful job!
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful work Roger
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default Nice narrow sweep exhausts! Nice job period!

That is one nice clean restoration of a Flathead. Very few times seen out there is the use of the smaller ignition coil you normally see used on later models of Merc 2, 4 and 6 banger engines. Question is why did you not use that big mutha hockey puck of a ignition coil seen very commonly put on 4 cylinder and 6 banger flatheads when they started to leave magnetos and automotive point and condenser types behind? What discharge voltage in comparisson between the two or was it just because the system your using is a much more compact and estherically simple looking system?

RogerH

Default Looper Ignition System

Hello John,
    I started messing around with these ignitions about a year ago, and partnered with Larry McAfee to evaluate them. Larry's son Kevin is actively racing C,D&E Mod in NBRA and did very well running these ignitions last year.
    The distributor is universally used across the Merc650 (4-cyl) to Merc850 through the late 70's. They are battery operated but triggered by the distributor. The large coil you spoke about was used on the 650's+ but the 85hp version came out with the smaller coil you see on the Looper. The coils (both) are bullet proof and generally never fail.
    Larry built a tester that drives the distributor with a air driven die grinder (in excess of 11,000rpm) and a pressurized chamber with a plexiglass top that houses the spark plugs. With a simple wiring harness and battery the whole system can be bench tested at RPM and under simulated cylinder pressure. The cylinder pressure is critical, as it effects the spark in a big way. We can see no difference in the large vs small coils. Thus the small coil is able to charge/discharge (saturate) as well as the larger version. The switch box and coil can be mounted in the boat or on the motor - your choice. The switch box does draw in excess of 5 amps (less than 7) at higher RPM, so don't skimp on the wire size.
    The CDI/Rapair replacement unit is a bit more efficient (uses less power) than the Merc unit. It requires the use of their coil with their switch box. They also make a replacement trigger which is housed in the base of the distributor. Their trigger uses magnetic switching vs the optical switching of the Merc unit. Magnetic is preferred over optical. Thus they provide a steel disc for the trigger. BTW, there is an up/down orientation on the disc that must be followed for correct timing. They are usually labeled.
    That's a crash course in the Type IV ignitions. Good question, hope this helps to answer your question. I should warn you that some of the switchboxes have a rev limiter installed. I usually buy the 6cyl version to avoid that - Roger

John (Taylor) Gabrowski

Default That was quite the education re-education session for us all!

Roger: Thanks very much for the session. I have only one distributor like yours and I got a load of those smaller coils and the system as well as the earlier systems all used that big hockey puck coil. That same system was on pics from a Merc D Mod Fast Fred sold a while back too and its a nice compact setup that is a for sure.

I suppose that using the small coil on a Merc Lightning Energizer/Distributor for Merc 4 cylinder engines would then also work too? Nicer things with some experiments can sure come in small packages.

Not long ago (couple years back?) to cut power consumption down on the Merc CDI systems with the hockey puck coil, I went on a weekend binge at an auto wreckyard to look for low drain high output solid state system ignition coils and found one Honda coil that belted out 30KV at 12 volts unpressured and could go up to 60KV when the system called for it. Nice thing was that you can use 2 -7.5 volt RC stick batteries to power the Merc trigger box, the Honda coil and the needs of the magnetic or the LED distributors for half and hour and then use the quick charger attached to your car battery charging system to regain it all in less that 15 minutes per battery stick. That takes out the 12 volt heavy marine utlility battery out of the boat and gor those that liked to use 18 volts out of 2 marine lead accident batteries, the 15 volts out of the 2 RC battery sticks does the trick with the Honda coils. Seeing you guys are now using that small Merc coil not a bad thing to see how long 2 RC batteries would last with that coil plugged in.

I heard that there were rev limiters on some of the 4 cylinder trigger boxes, any way of telling those apart from those that don't have the limiters other than going to a 6 cylinder box?

That is all one nice compact system!

Post Thanks / Like

Roger, I've had enough trouble with 6 cylinder boxes that fire but get weak after about half a lap. I've given up on them and use all CDI boxes. They fire my 6's off easier and let me use less choke. Like you said, they use a lot less power. I think it is 1 amp vs 6 amps.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Thread Information