Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trailer Rebuild Question..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Rebuild Question..

My trailer under my HydroStream had a long Winter season and has a large amount of rust for some reason. Anyway, I'm in the middle of sanding it down to paint it and I'm replacing the bunks and lights.

My question is, anyone know a good paint to use that won't rust and looks good? I don't guess I gave any thought when I started on it what I was going to paint it with when I was done.

This could be very simple and I could just use any black paint but I thought maybe someone may know something that works well and lasts for a few years.

Thanks guys!
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim,
    Last metal (non galvanzed) trailer I painted, I used rustoleum brand paint after a good sanding. It seemed to hold up good (several years). Make sure you check the u-bolts, bearings, and springs all the way around while you are at it.
    Nate
    Nate Vaughn

Post Thanks / Like

Tim:

I found that by using Epoxy primers, and add a little rust inhibitor when it's mixed, you can paint most any paint you choose. Dupont Imron is my favorite trailer paint, but alas, the free to be woe is me hug a tree hugers saw to it that Imron can never be sold in California.
    As far as sanding goes, you can find many shops that would sandblast your trailer frame for under $200.00, some would even prime it for you for a tad more.

Just make sure you pull the wheels and check that some of the sand did not get into the bearings when they shot it....

Other than that, any Acrylic Enamel is the second choice. Do it blue to match the boat if yer gunna do it.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by catndahats View Post
    Tim,
    Last metal (non galvanzed) trailer I painted, I used rustoleum brand paint after a good sanding. It seemed to hold up good (several years). Make sure you check the u-bolts, bearings, and springs all the way around while you are at it.
    Nate
    I agree, the best thing would be to strip trailer and get it gal dipped but at least with the rustoleum you can choose the colour you want... Or undercoat it (primer) then give it a coat of duragal.. Can comes in 4 litre .. it's good stuff we use it at work (engineering)..
    Last edited by Scrat Racing; 02-19-2008 at 03:21 AM. Reason: more to add

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Trailer Paint

There is a product called "Trailer Coat" that is used extensively down on the coast around saltwater. It does not require a clean blasted surface for good adhesion, only removal of all loose rust. Best I can tell it lasts nearly forever. It only comes in silver. If you want to top coat it with another color it must be done within 4 hours. It is so tough it is almost impossible to scrape off with a sharp knife.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys.. I got started on it and then got busy at work and now I'm half way done and don't have time right now to finish it.

Bill, I did check and I can have it blasted for $350. Now just gotta figure out where to put the boat for a week. When I was doing it myself I just put it in the water for the day to work on it.
    THIBODAUX RACING... Timmy Thibodaux

Thread Information