Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blown Up Motor!!

Post Thanks / Like

I once blew up a V-6 that made that one look fix-able. Bob Armstrong asked me to drive his boat for him, and he told me the motor (SST-140) was "ready to race".

It turned out that it had never even been started. I left tyhe ramp, stuck my foot into it, and made it abut 300 yards before I stuck rods out of BOTH sides of the block.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

If anyone has photos of their blown up motors, lets see them!
    Mark N

FFX-61
    Post Thanks / Like

not killed, but stuckit

all new stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Konig..........

I don't have pictures except what was burned into my memory. Walt Blankenstine mixed ALOT of nitro one year in my D Konig because he thought I needed the edge. Was racing against some of the best in the sport. Won both heats and about 200 ft. after the end of the last heat all 4 pistons melted and it was haulin a** just before it quit. No warning, no noise, just losts of mushy aluminum. Needless to say I was sad that this engine went away, but Walt took it back to the shop and we were running the next weekend just as fast as before. The funny thing about this is what Walt said after we pulled it apart. He said "I kind of thought that would happen". At least it waited until the end of the last heat...................
    Charley Bradley

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a good one! Lets see who can figure out why the driver was forced to make an extra couple of laps! I'll let the owner tell the story!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

'Cause the starter was point the wrong way?????????
    LOOK at all the daylight!! Is this a litewieght motor?????

Zonker1

Post Thanks / Like

Default Used Too MUch When It Was New

Chuck Newton would have said, "She was used too much when she was new." Seems like that quote is perfect here.....

I was fishing once with PeeWee Horn in Needles, and our 25 Evinrude tossed a rod..PeeWee was the type that liked to go fishing and he sure as hell wasn't going to let a little thing like a busted rod mess up his fishing...So, after the motor had taken a "DUMP", PeeWee started rowing to the "Glory Hole" where we'd caught many a large mouth bass....

As Pee Wee was rowing, it entered my mind that "A", we'd be out of beer before we ever got to the "Glory Hole" and "B", if we ever got there how in the hell would we ever get back???

So, as Pee Wee was rowing, I took pair of vise grips and busted a big hole in the crank case...I pushed the rod up to the head, and the engine turned over. I pulled the spark plug wire off and fired that mother up on one cyclinder.

That two cyclinder Evinrude ran like a song on one cyclinder...Lucky for us we didn't run out of beer...caught a bass or two. One cast, my line went around a tree branch and on about the third "TWIRL", a bass hit my plastic worm...Bass is hanging there, flopping around like a wet seal, ...PeeWee won't go get it because he's got one hook up after another, after another...

Never went fishing with PeeWee after that...but that one cyclinder Evinrude ran fine....that night.

Make that Mercury V-6 into a V-5......We ran our Ski Boat on five cyclinders all summer...a little slow out of the hole, but we got there!!!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joe J View Post
    I once blew up a V-6 that made that one look fix-able....
    Joe
    I've done better on a fishing motor. Dads PoLine with twin 200 mercs, I made one of them into a modern design 2 piece block...top piece and bottom piece. The little end of the rod failed and cut the motor in half, similar to Ericks pictures but a middle cylinder. Racing engines don't count, they're too easy

Post Thanks / Like

I remember dad once wrenching for a local guy named Al Rostal down in Miami. Al had an X115 on a big Lone Star and it was some marathon.......Tossed a rod...Dad did the same thing. Unhook it, push it up in the hole, run and finished 7th on 3 cylinders...Most of the boats were inboards so it was an easy thing to finish 7th on 3, as most of the inboards could not finish....

Freak'n Newbie
    Post Thanks / Like

I vented one two years ago at the Ct river run it was the first year of the boat all I want was to get thru the season to the Ct run then that winter I was planning a rebuild...1/2 mile from the ramp after trying to run with another Skater with 280's I gave up..when i slow I looked back and there was water coming out of the cowl..I figured it was a loose hose or bad popit ( still purring ) I shut it down and stuck the better half behind the wheel as we went along on one...I pulled the cowl and told her to tap the key so I could find the leak...started up perfect....water was flowing out the bottom carb....after I got it back on the trailer I found a 2" hole behind the switch box.....

thank you Mr Ruck it's all fixed but the piston and rod end sit on my desk.....
    Same Name different Board I ain't hide'n

Thread Information