Quote Originally Posted by Steve Litzell View Post
The 6 cylinder was two cylinders 64 mm and 4 cylinders 66. Is was infact the motor Hans won with in OF. As Bill said during this time we had big D's but they were run F class Nationally and CDF locally. We also had 750 or what we called big D. Bruce Nicholson made a 6 cylinder Radial that fit perfect in 750. This was also the time USA changed to cc's as opposed to cubic inches, so any motor over 700 but not 1100 was E or 850. The motors we have here that we call F Konigs are 748 cc's and were legal for 850. hence the VE in the serial number. Their were a few big boys at 67 to 68 mm bore with L rings that were brutal to crank but again these were VF models. I guess we forget when this happened and all A and C motors had 53.5 bores. When we went to cc's we could have the new standard bore motors of 54 mm. So At Walt's place we bore a hell of lot C and FA motors to the new standard bore of 54 mm. This all was done to allow the Mercs have a .030 bore over standard. This is also why our 125 and 250 class have higher bore limits than what is allowed in UIM. 8 cylinder 850 Konig was a stacked motor. I have this motor fro Uli Rochelle in my collection. The rotary valve was first, the reed valve was second, and fuel injected motor was third until UIM said no More of this Konig. Steve
The radial motor that Bruce N. built is at Bill Fales' sons house, Rick Fales (owner of Power-Mist Racing Fuel). We tested that motor in Hartford, CT back in the days with Mike Schmidt driving our boat. The motor blew two units that day and sent us packing. Maybe Mike could talk a little more about that day. When the motor came on pipe it really screamed.