Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

John,
    Without pulling the heads could we know for sure? I’m not local to this one…but I’d love to point the owner in the right direction.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

The motor size had to be stamped on the block in days gone by. Look for a "C" stamped into the metal.
    Likes Albert liked this post

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Early Konig engine blocks or cylinders, were not always stamped like the later opposed 4 cylinder blocks were from the factory , so look at the crankcase for a

FA - then the serial number like FA-56 -125 Etc meaning the engine was an A , made in 1956 then the next numbers meant it was the 125th one made
    That year !

Same thing with the B or C two cylinder Konig's both Deflector and Looper IE, like FB-59-125 would mean made in 1959 and the 125th one made that year !

The two cylinder FA then and also later on in it's history, was very small in size compared to the B or especially the C Konig 2 cylinder blocks were back in the day !

Look at the crankcase for numbers and send us a good close up of the cylinder if you don't find any crankcase ID numbers, so we can help you identify the engine and help you out here !

Paul A Christner .

Special Points here !

What I have found out with Konig Engines, not unlike the early Quincy deflectors , and then later on the Loopers, and finally the Quincy Z engines.

Were sometime numberless Engines if the crankcase or the cylinders were Factory replaced along the way of their racing career
    but most of the time that happened was an exception in the context of the biger production number totals of any engines in any given displacement class factory produced in it's history !

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe John is right . It looks like an FC 2 cylinder Konig. They were made before the 4 cylinder , 4 carb Konigs and the 4 cylinder rotary valve VC Konigs. Why I say that is we once owned one and the open exhaust pipes were pretty big. It looked like this motor. They also had an internal rotary valve like the FB Konigs. With those two big pistons they could really shake. But to confirm, Paul is right about the serial numbers. On the two cylinder motors the serial number will start with an F then the next letter will be the class A, B, or C like Paul says. Seems like I heard Konig also made a 2 cylinder D, but I'm not sure because I never saw one or knew anybody that had one.

Post Thanks / Like

I know of an FD here in Canada

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Lytle View Post
    I know of an FD here in Canada
    Other than the one posted above?

Still waiting on the owner to find time to pull it off the wall and check the vin. Will report back when I get more info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Master Oil Racing Team thanked for this post

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Now I know somebody who knows somebody who has a 2 cylinder D Konig and even a picture of one. So it's real.

Thanks Jeff.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeff,
    Did the owner make it out on the water this summer with either motor? I bet they make an absolutely phenomenal noise.
    Thanks Chip Trampe thanked for this post

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two D Koing twins (1964) BY SERIAL#

Thread Information