Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
Tim...Dieter told me about Kim and his accident at Silverstone during my first trip to the factory. Dieter was a full throttle...don't look back...forward thinking speed freak back then. In fact, he was like that always. Furiously trying to accomplish something that had either crossed his mind, or either trying to bring the thought to completion. When I showed up at his door unannounced in 1975 he gave me a whirlwind tour. The Following year he knew I was coming and after having spent the whole day and night traveling I arrived at the factory and he handed me a torch to work on the exhaust pipes of a speedway bike

The reason I bring this up is because I think anyone who had ever worked with Dieter knew this about him. I think it was probably the same way with Kim. Dieter Konig was afire with innovations, speed and accomplished drivers. I could tell when I talked with him about Kim that he was terribly sorry. He told me that during the race another driver spilled in the same corner that Kim did, but there were hay bales there this time and the driver walked away.

I have a tape that I did in Dieter's office in 1975. He talked about the exhaust and his first experiments with megaphones. I remember he told me he accidentally discovered the scavenging effects of the pipes when he ran a tube to get the fumes out of his test room. He noticed the horsepower increase. Dieter showed me the page in his journal when he wrote down the note. I made a corressponding note in my journal when I saw what he had recorded. I drew a picture and if I remember correcty wrote "auspoof". I don't know if I have any info that will help you at all, but I will try to put the taped interview back together and see what info I can find.
From what I know of Dieter I would say your accessment of him was totally accurate. I have spent time with his wife and son and a number of people who worked for him and I can appreciate how driven he was. I would be absolutely fascinated to hear your tape.
I have been working on this book off and on for many years and was close to Kim's widow Janeen. In fact the documentary film on Kim was something I intiated. Unfortunately after I organised funding the production company I went to with the project stole it from me. The final film was largely my vision but they overlaid it with a dark, negative aspect I really disliked. I recently settled a lawsuit out of court after several years and now intend to make the film the way I and Janeen wanted it to be.
Your information is like gold to me and I want you to know how much I appreciate your taking the time to help.
I am in touch with Peer. I believe the bike he has is a 500 but it might be a 680. I will know after I have spoken to him in the next few days. The other bike is a 350 and it is still in the factory where I have seen it. Kim and Ulli Collatz, who worked for Dieter, built both of them with BMW guys appearing at night usuing secret knocks to get in etc. Apparently the 500 shredded the tires when put on a rolling road at BMW and they decided not to continue.
The engines used in the race bikes were the basic 500 four with a 'shoe' on the bottom that had water pumped through it as part of the system and which also located the AMC gearbox with various 6 speed clusters. Rod Tingate can produce a bike from a stock 500 as there are still a number of shoes at the factory. In fact a number of other people are working on making new engines for bikes. Their power to weight ratio makes them highly effective as post classic racers.
I belive Kim built about 20 bikes as kits and complete machines. I have personally seen about half a dozen - mostly in Germany. they were nearly all beautifully restored - clearly highly valued.
As you probably know Kim came second in the 500 championship in 73 - beating Agostini who came third. I have spoken with Ago and Phil Reid - who won - and both recall a superb rder who came out of nowhere.
Kim had raced Konig hydros Australia andf it was that racing that inspired him to hook up with Dieter.
I will answer to the other posts as well and hope that is ok. I don't want to clog up the works with my stuff but this is really teriffic.
Perhaps you might consider having a look at the part of my manuscript that relates to hydro racing in the US.
I am currently restoring a 45 foot 1899 steam sailer and will make a little 1930's hydro to hang off the davits. Something about 11 feet long, maybe with a jetski unit.
Once again my thanks
Tim Hanna