Thread: Konig History

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flywheel

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rusnak View Post
    Hi Bill, I am still messing with all this junk. I have Bob Hooghkirk's Square block "C" engine. Been trying for years to finish it. I have everything but the flywheel and the little shield that goes ober the belt. Has the origional 40 mm carbs. Let me know if you want to sell it. The 1969 "B" old round block is missing parts to complete it. The old styld 4 bolt headers, outer rotary valve cover etc. Will waite until I have time to locate everything before even think of playing with that one. Will make a few title series races this season and a few Mod races. Will be at the Worlds as My son Don is entered and My son-in law Sean Mckean is also. Only time I see my family any more is at the races.....Thanks for the reply Bob N-96
    Bob,
    Send me your address at ProHydroRacer@BellSouth.net
    Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Default Points

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I was able to get the flywheel/rope plate off this afternoon. Also was able to free up both carbs and removed the powerhead from the mid section. I would like to replace the points and condensers, does anyone know if they are available anywhere? I am going to soak the power head for a day or two to see what comes out. I really do not wish to disassemble it any further. It turns over very smooth but that could be from the thick caster oil that was left in the engine. I have a few more pictures.

Besides the model and serial number I find some other markings stamped into the powerhead. The side of the block under the coils has B15 stamped in each back of cylinders. Over the top two cylinders is stamped a "0" and a "1" on both the block and the cylinder head. On the front top block is stamped the letters "UH" could anyone decipher these markings?
    David
    There is a good chance that I have points and condensers, maybe new or used.
    Send me your address to ProHydroRacer@BellSouth.net
    Bill

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If Bill does not, I have plenty of used points and condensers...Bob
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vb701116

I have soaked power head and every thing feels smooth so I am not going to tear it down any furhter. I will be putting the heads back on soon and also will be assembling the rotary valve. Since there are not any gaskets used what is put on the parts before putting them back together. It looks like old style formagasket was there before. I also need a driveshaft and a coupler. The mid section is 300mm tall from plate to plate. Are these available any where. I will post some more pictures once I have the power head removed from its bath.
    David
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Post Thanks / Like

I'm certain Steve Litzel can supply both
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Dave, there are many different things to use. I use to use a 10 min. epoxy and later copper coat. Also hi temp silicone sealer and on the crankcase loctite gell coat or Yamabond. All will work. A drive shaft can be easly made by squaring off any old drive shaft on both sides to I believe 12 mm. I assume you will put on a Konig lower unit. As fat as the coupler, Konig/Konny, or Yamoto will fit. They are not cheap. I found the pipe brackets from any old Konig is the same square and be cut to size. Hope this helps.....Bob
    Bob Rusnak

Post Thanks / Like

Default UH Stamp

UH are the initials of the individual that assembled the engine at Konig. I believe that the U stands for Uhlie (SP?). UH is found on hundreds of Konigs.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by A/B Speedliner View Post
    I have soaked power head and every thing feels smooth so I am not going to tear it down any furhter. I will be putting the heads back on soon and also will be assembling the rotary valve. Since there are not any gaskets used what is put on the parts before putting them back together. It looks like old style formagasket was there before. I also need a driveshaft and a coupler. The mid section is 300mm tall from plate to plate. Are these available any where. I will post some more pictures once I have the power head removed from its bath.
    David
    Howdy, I have many Konig old NOS parts for motors from 1950's to present. Some used stuff too, Just contact me at Steve77T@aol.com

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    That's what I also heard about the combination motor Henry. My last race was at the OD World Championships in Berlin 1981. I've never been back, but Steve Litzell lived in Berlin for awhile working for Dieter. I think he is the one that told me about the OE Konig. I wish he would take time to come on here and give is some history that he lived through. Dieter gave him the knowledge and confidence he had to build his own 8 cylinder.

Thanks for the pics and info Lars. Who was driving the Beck's boat? I guess after 1978 OE's never ran methanol again? I have a bunch of Powerboat & Waterskiing issues that I did not read after I quit racing. Maybe there's some info there I can post. In the meantime Henry and Lars....keep digging up stuff to post.
    Hi All, To set record straight, I did not live in Berlin but would visit Factory for training at least 2 times a year from 1984 to 1988. My first encounter with 8 cylinder was making crankshaft for one in 1985 or 86. To straighten one was a pain to say the least but good training for me. Now i think I can do a 4 cylinder shaft in my sleep. I had very good training on the "Konig way" to work on his motors. As a side note the man that Wayne was talking about that done the welding was from Turkey and though he could not speak english we could communicate but now I can not remember his name. During those years Deiter, Hans, And their kids all stayed at my home in Florida and one year the MRC secretary joined us for some serious water skiing. Most fun I had for years. Later that nite Hans and myself drank a bottle of Jack Daniels, The makings new of Black Russians and half a jug of Han's Martel. It was a bad day at Black Rock for us next day!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vb 70116

I have finished the clean up of this neat engine. I did not wish to do musem restoration so I only removed the castor build up and the oxidation. A couple of the bearings needed replacement which I found at my local bearing supplier. I still have to finish cleaning the pipes and the support bracket. Also have to solve the puzzle of how the spray shield attaches. Here are some pictures of my progress.
    David
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Old Race Boats Still Flip You Out

Thread Information