Thread: Konig History

BoatRacingFacts VIP John Schubert T*A*R*T's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 1969 Konig

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Here you go Wayne.
    If you look between the cylinders you can see an aluminum horizontal bracket. Pointing straight back there are 2 solid rods that the bracket for the pipes slid on. Mine were fixed as not too many were sliding pipes. However the Simon boys from Canada did have a sliding configuration. Not having them slode in 1970 might have cost me the nationals. Just prior to the drivers meeting the Simon brothers came to me & offerred their best prop as Chuck hadn't qualified. I received permission to take a one lap test & did & on the speedo was faster then my "B" Looper, so decided to use it. Couldn't pull on a plane for the 1st heat, and we didn't do doughnuts at that time either. Luckily the 1st heat was re-run as there were too many gun jumpers, but myself & a few others jumped the restart. I did finish 2nd in the 2nd heat to Bob Olson using my RA Smith wheel.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks David and John. The pictures were a little small and fuzzy for me to see exactly, but John confirmed that it was laid out like I thought.

You're right not too many were sliding them John. I didn't know anyone did until now. Just one little change can make all the difference. In 1971 Dieter had the new "A" block with the exhaust ports on the right side and converging elbows to a single sliding pipe.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Short Pull

Quote Originally Posted by Master Oil Racing Team View Post
    Thanks David and John. The pictures were a little small and fuzzy for me to see exactly, but John confirmed that it was laid out like I thought.

You're right not too many were sliding them John. I didn't know anyone did until now. Just one little change can make all the difference. In 1971 Dieter had the new "A" block with the exhaust ports on the right side and converging elbows to a single sliding pipe.
    The pipes on the FA in the photo slide maybe and inch of two. This made a difference on the top end. Often the pipes got stuck in the forward position. On one occaision, I reached back, grabbed one of the pipes and shoved it back. The engine cleared, but I burnt my hand too much to go on!!

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

It's been a while since I visited the forum as I've been concentrating on finishing the Konig bike history. However it is amazing to see what has been posted since I was last here.
    I would like to know how the speed attempt as described below turned out. Does anybody know?
    Also does anyone have any further information on the part Margrit Konig played in the company?
    I would very much like to use some of the images in my book - now titled "The Kiwi On The Konig" - introduced by Dumperjack and wonder if that would be possible.
    Great to see the interst these old motors still inspire. Since I was last here I have spent some time with Rod Tingate - an Australian rider who spannered for Kim Newcombe when Kim came second in the world 500 GP championship. Rod's beautiful replica of Kim's bike was going around Pukekohe race track at our last classic festivals like a cut cat. Really fast and sounding fantastic.
    There are quite a few race bikes coming out of the woodwork now and a number being built. Also a number of outfits. You will know that Rolf Steinhausen won the world sidecar GP championshp in 75 and 76 with Konig power.

Quote Originally Posted by dumperjack View Post
    …. not 1979 , not OE --> correctly = six cylinders and the city:linz
    fig. 1 and 2 show a dismantled crankshaft of V-six cylinders the könig-running engine.

my information (correctly or wrongly ?):

- 4 engines were built
    - 1 engine was divided and scrapped with
    - 1 engine is with one runs in the USA exploded and sunk
    - 1 engine hav a driver from the city "Hamburg" foe long time give a student (mechanical engineering) of the University of city "Kiel" - engine is missing
    - 1 engine completely unknown missing
    - the crankshaft is safe = dumperjack

to the article from 1968

könig builds the largest outboard motor of the world

the water-sportily sensation from the year 1968 the first official demonstration of the largest outboard motor of the world with 140 HP, built of könig.

already with test runs reached the boat speeds this make hope for the absolute world record.
    the speed test boat were so large, it itself during test trips much lifts and after backwards tilts.
    that means with 160 km/h dangerous situation for the test driver.
    for this reason became for a test in the back a bearing area cultivated like a negative elevator works, in the back lifts and lift that in front prevented.
    the new running engine assembly is by the V-type of two 65 HP of outboard motors developed.
    it has 6 cylinders, 3 carburetor, a common fivefold stored crankshaft, battery ignition and generator.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly Margit was the die maker for the cast parts. A significant member of the team.
    Since 1925, about 150 different racing outboards have been made.

Post Thanks / Like

The 1968 and 1979 motors were different eras and different motors.

The 1979 motor was a stacked 8 cylinder; a 350 on top of a 500 for OE.

The picture of the 1968 motor on the boat looks like the opposed 6 to me.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but if I understand correctly Margit was the die maker for the cast parts. A significant member of the team.
    I thought that was the case. And you are right - it is not an insignificant position in the team. I have tried to find a contact for her without success but I will try again

Post Thanks / Like

I would ask her nephew how to contact her. I'm sure he knows where she is.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as die maker, I presume you mean the person who made the interlocking sand pieces formed in the little wooden boxes? If that is what you mean then yes, she did that. Dieter told me she made them. As far as other work she might have done, I'm not sure. The days I was there I saw her every morning and she always wore jeans and a heavy dark turtleneck sweater, but she never seemed interested in getting aquainted or even speaking. I don't know of any particular work station she might have had that I can remember, but I never went upstairs. Maybe Steve Litzell might shed some light.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark75H View Post
    I would ask her nephew how to contact her. I'm sure he knows where she is.
    That would be great. If he's willing to help maybe the number could be passed on as a private message.

Thread Information