Thread: Konig History

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The "BOOK"

Tim:

I hope you give the folks that have contributed to your knowledge that will be incorporated in your book some acknowledgement, as that is a common courtesy extended to this type effort by individuals you have gained information from, especially if it is used in a profit making venture.

I personally also hope you will offer the book for sale here on BRF, as I am sure some of the folks that are reading about and interested in Konig history, would probably like to have it, as would I.

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Bill Van.....you sound a little rude there. The gentleman has released to us here information about Konig I never heard before. He has obviously spent much time and research, and to me his book is more of a labour of love than a profit making venture. I hope it is wildly successful, but generally these types of books aren't on the NY Times list. Nonfiction racing books have limited appeal as books go. So being that I know you, I know you didn't mean it the way it sounded. But I don't want Tim to get offended at your remark thinking otherwise, because you obviously turned around and expressed great interest in owning his book.

That was some interesting stuff you learned from Ralph and thanks for taking the time to find out. I had something regarding Mather that I was told by Dieter, but I was looking for a particular photo first. You said you had a couple of stories from Ralph, so we are waiting for the other one.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default No offense intended to Tim

Wayne:

As you indicated, no offense was intended. I only meant to point out that if someone gains something from someone else's effort, it is only polite to acknowledge that, as I thought I had noticed you point out sometimes when you post pictures.

Have you been outside in the So. Texas sun with your hat off too much lately? The only person I ever act like I intend to offend is you, but it never works because you know me too well.

Hope you make it to Lake Alfred in October.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default the other Dieter story by Ralph Donald

On one of the trips that Dieter made to the US in 1957, he competed in races with the South Eastern Boating Association, which as Danny Piggot has pointed out in another thread, had some of the toughest competition you could find at the time.

A BBQ dinner and party was being held for the drivers the night before the race, and Dieter evidently had never eaten BBQ before, especially the kind smothered with hot, spicy sauce. He was served and started to eat, and suddenly without saying a word, got up from the table and carrying his plate with food on it, left for a short time. When he came back all the sauce was gone from the meat. Because it was so hot and he was not used to that type of spicy food, he just excused himself and went down to the beach and proceeded to wash the sauce off his meat in the lake. He then came back to the table and continued to finish the rest of the meal, without any comment. He evidently was trying to be polite and not offend those who were his hosts in this country by letting them know that the sauce was too hot for him to eat.

I only met him a couple of times here in the US, and once in Germany, but one thing that impressed me was his politeness and courtesy to others. He evidently was that way for his whole life, because about 15/20 years passed between the event related above and the times I met him, and it would seem that was a constant in his personality, at least when I was around him.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys,
    As is so often the case I have to update and correct material as new bits and pieces come in.
    The 'Aknowledgements' recorded at the front of the book are no exception and they keep growing. Naturally I will record every person who has helped and believe me I recognise that this is the least I can do.
    As always the last contributions are wonderful. This book is written as a dramatic reconstruction and having such anecdotes gives me the colour the book needs as well as helping to keep the history straight.
    So, thanks guys. I will record your help.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Tim;;

You can count me in on a book too ! I was not able to meet Dieter, but I ran his engines for a short while !

Thanks, John Biagio

Team Member Master Oil Racing Team's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Like you say Bill Van, Dieter was always very polite and courteous. Here are a couple of frames with you and Dieter at the Spandau course in Berlin. Check out the disco duds. This was May 1976. That was why you remembered the deal with David and Faye Westbrooks honeymoon sleeping arrangements at Jenny's house. You were there then.

As far as the difference between anecdotes and pictures go Bill Van, the main one is I've only bought and sold anecdotes with beer, whereas I've sold photos for actual cash. And, my memory can change over time and stories can too, whereas my photos stay the same unless they fade. So it's much easier to claim proprietorship on a personal creation than a personnal recollection. Hope that explains it.

Man, I wish I could come to Lake Alfred, but Debbie and I are going to be in the District of Corruption at the Lincoln Memorial on August 28, and I can't get away again for the races.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tim hanna View Post
    This is truly remarkable, chapter and verse from the beginning!
    As always I am overwhelmed by the effort that has gone into acquiring this history. I will certainly use it believe me.
    I understand that the factory was able to get back on its feet relatively quickly as Dieter and Rudolf had access to a vast Luftwaffe repair facility having undertaken the manufacture of aircraft parts during the war. Although all their own machine tools had been destroyed by a 500 pound bomb that blew up the factory the gear they needed was lying around waiting to be liberated. Or so the story goes.
    Dieter's wife Flo told me that during the worst of the bombing Dieter stayed in Berlin with his father and that when everybody else was diving for cover he would make his way onto the nearest roof to watch the mayhem.
    I am up against a bit of deadline pressure as I want to get my book out - called The Kiwi On The Koenig' the idea is to have it out for Christmas.
    One interesting aspect of the story has been the places where Koenig engines ended up. On Speedway tracks in cars and bikes, on the grand prix motorcycle circuit, on the backs of hydfros of course and in the air. When Father Goose took his first trainees South beside an ultralite he was powered by Koenig.
    Anyway, as always, thank you for your trouble. I know it's a consuming interest for all of you and that gathering the history is something you would want to do anyway but I still really appreciate the effort.
    Tim,

I worked for Quincy Welding from 1962 to 1973, but I started racing as a pit crew member for Chambers Equipment Co. in 1958. I was 17 years old at the time.

Chambers was a Johnson dealership but we raced 2 "B" Mercurys, 1 "A" Mercury and 1 "A" Brand K .

I remember the crankplate on the flywheel of the "A" having the name KOENIG cast in it. I have been told by different people the spelling was always KONIG. I always knew they were wrong but didn't see the need to argue.

Thanks for confirming my memories.

Team Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Default "Did you really used to look like that?"

Above quote was from Eileen when I showed her these pictures. I did not at all remember these pictures being taken. If you could print out these for me and send them to me next time your'e printing some, it would be much appreciated. I would like to include them with the other pictures from this trip we took.

Boy, was that a sharp looking outfit or what, and how about the guy in it!! Too bad from the looks of that shirt that the pictures were not in color.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bill, you look just like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Van Steenwyk View Post
    Above quote was from Eileen when I showed her these pictures. I did not at all remember these pictures being taken. If you could print out these for me and send them to me next time your'e printing some, it would be much appreciated. I would like to include them with the other pictures from this trip we took.

Boy, was that a sharp looking outfit or what, and how about the guy in it!! Too bad from the looks of that shirt that the pictures were not in color.
    ....Dennis Hopper in those photo's or perhaps Dennis Hopper looks just like Bill Van!!

Wayne, you can always attend another day in the fields, the number of World Championships are limited!

Thread Information