But knowing WHAT to shoot is one of your big advantages, Wayne, and your candid shots of the guys and gals working in the pits or at the scorers' table or just gabbing is something no outsider, no local newspaper photog, is going to think of, however technically skilled he might be. Maybe like some others from out of your area, I never met most of the people in your photos, but I knew OF them, so they seem like something more than just strangers to me. My old BSH buddy Rusty Rae did a similar thing with his images of the Stock guys.

As to film versus digital, it seems to me that different skills are emphasized. I have a pal who is a professional photographer (used to shoot motorcycle roadracing), and I am in awe of his editing facility with Photoshop (or whatever program), which seems to be an essential with digital. OTOH, I used to go to Seattle Totems ice hockey games fifty years ago and glance over in the outside corner of the rink at Bob Carver with his big Speed Graphic (maybe even without motor-drive), and watch him wait and wait for THE SHOT. Any old Region 10 racer will tell you about Carver's ability to watch a field of boats, judge the likelihood of each for doing something dramatic, and anticipate THE SHOT. I think film particularly put a premium on that skill of anticipation, as well as of framing and composition. For my money, Wayne, you got all of those skills down!!